1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Abandonware RPGs

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Planetouched, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Planetouched Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Recently saw an article on 'Abandonware' games. Does anyone know where to find these said games and if any decent (Quite apt I think) games have been abandoned? :p

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] http://www.abandonia.com/

Knock yourself out ;)

I admit I haven't played half the RPGs on there yet but there are a fair few D&D ones if I remember rightly. Worth a shot, they're free and usually only a few meg.

The Great Snook likes this.
  3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Eh, depends on what site you've found. There are a few gems, though - I think the first Lands of Lore is abandonware now, possibly the first Dune (which was at least part RPG) and some classics like the Eye of the Beholder series, Al Qadim, and a few others.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I strongly recommend Ultima V, VI, and VII (Part I and II). Ultima: Savage Empire and Martian Dreams are outstanding (Martian Dreams is one of favorite games of all time). Menzoberranzan was very good as well.

Other recommended from the rpg list on 8's site: Genie's Curse, Wizardry VII, Megatraveler 2, Betrayal at Krondor, and the Eye of the Beholder Games. If you don't mind really terrible graphics the Krynn games are okay, as are the Buck Rogers games (same game engine for both).

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Have you played this one on a modern system? I've been trying to get my copy to work for quite some time, and I can't even run this one with DosBox.

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Huh, I thought dosbox makes it work. Wasn't it one of the SSI titles?

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 20 seconds later... ----------

Wasn't Menzoberranzan one of the SSI games? It should run on Dosbox.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No I haven't tried it in years -- have you tried using Moslo?

8. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    The problems I've had were usually driver-oriented. I should probably try upgrading dosbox.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've recently downloaded and started a run through Ultima: Underworld. Still ground-breaking, still fun (if a bit tedious and clumsy with the controls). Such fond memories of that game. I used to have the CD's, but lost them some time ago.

10. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Darklands, anyone? Excellent semi-historical rpg. Too bad the combat/indoors system was horrible, but the rest was just great. I liked the non-linearity and the lack of main quest: you could just roam the German lands and gather experience and wealth :D . The skill system had some nice ideas: in the low skill levels a character could learn something if he failed to do the task in hand. A skilled swordman could scare off bandits with a flashy weapon routine..which was nice, because the combat system was, as said, awful.

11. Planetouched Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Absolute genius thank you, I'll be checking them out shortly :D

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    My brother pulled off Menzo on a "modern" system (PIV gen Celeron or older). I recommend Dune, yeah. Might & Magic series is not exactly abandonware, but if you find it at all in retail, then it's dirt cheap.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Started Dune yesterday. I had it on my Amiga and loved it but never finished it. Now I am trying to but keeping track of all fremen and what they are doing and where they are going, jeez.

14. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Check out HOTU (Home of the underdogs)
    This site was down for ages but its recently been re-launched, there are thousands of abandonware games on there, I personally would check out
    System Shock 2 for an RPG with a bit of an action slant to it.

15. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Oh wow! Thanks for pointing out HOTU's back up! I was heartbroken forever when it went down. You just made my life!

16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Betrayal at Krondor was my favorite, i think. the combat system was excelent, and more than a little addictive.

17. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I should probably start a new thread, but how did he do that? I couldn't get it to work on my 933mhz Win98SE system. According to Microsoft's site it needs to run in MS-DOS mode, but I couldn't get sound to work after restarting in MS-DOS mode and it ran too fast. There was something else not working right but I haven't tried in many years.

I actually have a legit copy from the Forgotten Realms Silver Edition, even if it was passed to me by a family member who said "If you can get it to play on your computer, you can keep it." He couldn't get any of the games to work on his modern computers and no longer had the old ones in working condition.

18. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I think Menzo should run in a regular DOS window form within Win98SE. It's a DOS game but it doesn't do anything fancy with memory management like, say, Ultima VII. If you're going to restart in DOS mode you need to make sure your sound card has DOS drivers, that they were loaded in your autoexec.bat, and that the BLASTER environmental variable is set properly (it's a line in your autoexec.bat that starts with "set blaster=" then has different values for IRQ, DMA channel and so on, depending on your sound card and its settings).

Frankly the best way by far is to run the game in DOSBox. I've played the entire game that way and it does work, plus this is the best way to solve the speed problem. If for any reason you cannot get it to work in DOSBox let me know and I can always send you my configuration file, which I know for sure runs the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.