1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What mods/patches should I download?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by jeremy_, Nov 5, 2008.

1. jeremy_ Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I tried to use the lastest official patch, but when I got to a point where I had to change CDs, the thing exits out.Im playing a burned CD because my original baldurs gate disks are so scratched up they barely work.I think that might be the reason.Maybe the lastest official patch uses some sort of secuROM? If so, I cant use that patch.

So Im forced to play with only the patches that come with TotSC.Are there any unofficial patches that can substitute for that one? Also, is there any mods to do something about the insanely slow movement speed? To at least make it as fast as IWD?

Also, is there mods that make the game pause when your in the inventory? Because TotSC patches seemed to have removed that.

Basically, I just want this game to play like IWD or BG2(havent played it myself, but heard it was significantly faster)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you've got TotSC, only install the TotSC patch (the expansion contains previous patch fixes). If you've installed any others as well, you've likely messed up your game.

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yeah, do not patch your BG prior to installing TotSC just install the exp and THEN patch your game using the exp patch only.

Can't you jsut manually pause before entering the inv?

There's a mod right here on SP called "faster Baldur's Gate" which gives a movement speed bonus to all boots in the game; so you won't actually walk faster untill you get a pair of boots, but still. IIRC there has been added some regualr boots to most shops though, which will grant the movement speed bonus so it shouldn't be too bad. It's non-WeiDU though, so you might want to be careful about using it - at least combined with other mods.

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/index_mods.php (scroll down to the second-last on the list).

4. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Regular Baldurs Gate unpauses when you go to inventory, and puts a little notice up saying your game is unpaused. I just got really good 'n fast when I had to reload arrows, or pass an antidote from one character to another, during a battle while one of my characters is dying and getting killed at the same time.

With a new character it is really slow, but there are Boots of Speed found about the middle of the game (which I take with, in the exported character's inventory which I can then use from the beginning of a new game). I think the slow speed is supposed to resemble the long journey it would take to cover that much landscape in real time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.