1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

male vs female player char

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by cantor, Feb 12, 2001.

1. cantor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] was just wondering if playing a female player character has any effect on interactions with npcs?

easy on the spoilers please ;)

2. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, I guess, you will have to change your lines while flirting :) .

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] There's not much difference if you play a female character. There is a tavern at the beginning of the game that is run by a man-hating woman, so if you're a man you'll get lousy treatment, but if you're a woman...

As far as dialogue goes, it's practically identical since there are little or no references to gender. The only major difference when you play a female character is that you'll only be able to have a romance with Anomen.

4. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

In addition, if you are male, you save the DAUGHTER kidnapped by Firkraag. If you are female, you save the SON. If you are a female, the guy in the copper coronet that challenges you says different things. There isn't much other difference, other than minor changes in dialogue, and choices of prostitution. Heheh... they can only have a relationship with Anomen.

No lesbians? So disappointing... :D

Amon-Ra

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ah...its nice to see conflicts over the war of the sexes....

6. Lo Guest

Male Prostitutes is an improvement over BG btw, where even girls got girls :)

7. Recoil Suave Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] That's an improvement?! It's not an improvement, it's a shame. I mean BG2's lack of demi-goddess on girl stuff. What woman wouldn't like to be with a goddess? And why doesn't the Charm Person spell work in this situation? Maybe the expansion will fix this problem.

[This message has been edited by Recoil Suave (edited February 13, 2001).]

8. Duskai Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] *ahem* well, I'll be leaving now...I thought this was the ladies washroom, so sorry :p

9. If you really want that same sex romance with Vicona (or god forbid, Anomen), get the girdle of Gender and put it on.
    I believe your gender is "set" at the beginning of the game, and wearing the girdle does not change the romances (or the little bit of gender-specific dialouge that there is).

I forget where it is though, maybe you could look on a message board or something...

10. cantor Gems: 1/31

uh, if the girdle doesn't effect the romances or dialog, why should i get it?

thanks for the informative posts. i dont really want anomen in the party, but if he's the only possible interest for the main character...

is the romance worth it?

11. Silroth Gems: 7/31

You see a good looking guy with his platemail down. What more do you want?
    Women are so hard to please!! :(

12. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Str: 18
    Dex: 18
    Int: 19
    Con: 16
    Wis: 7
    Cha: 15

Hmmm... Do you think that's asking for too much? :D

13. Silroth Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Int 19?? Do you happen to be a gnome (no insult implied, I'm just asking)???

14. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Nah, just trying to be difficult to please... :D

Looking good sans platemail just isn't enough. Heh. Do you think I'm that shallow? ;) He's got to be at least 6'tall as well... since I'm wishing for everything!!

15. Silroth Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] As a matter of fact i think pointed ears are cool ;).

16. St Genem Gems: 1/31

I am currently playing a female character and am dating Anomem, who is moodier than an acting major. I did have to change the cheesy portrait to one more my taste though. Although not that far yet I am hoping the romance angle makes him come out a true knight in the end.

17. Dear Abby,
    My name is Brunhilde, and I am a chaotic good female Half Orc Barbarian. I have been adventuring around the Forgotten Realms since around September or so. I have been travelling with a Cleric named Anomen almost from the moment I arrived here.

Anomen has been a constant in my party, providing some missile work and the occasional mace or flail bashing when he couldn't hide behind Keldorn (my Paladin) or Minsc (just a big dumb guy). And he does have a nice range of cleric spells. Of course I guided him through his knighthood, talking him out of his foolish ways (with some help from Keldorn, who also has been there from day one). This made him a better person, if no less annoying and whiny.

But Abby, here's the problem: after all that I've has done for him and all that I've put up with, he won't even so much as hint around at any romance. I'm on chapter 7, and for most (98%) of my travels Anomen and Keldorn have been in my party. I've not had any negative conversations with him, he is always polite and respectful. But I'm puzzled and confused by his lack of response. I want him to rip my clothes off and... sorry, got carried away. Abby, do you have any advice for me? Is there any hope? He does not appear to be gay or anything, but now I am starting to wonder about him and Keldorn.... Anyway, I think I am getting close to the end of my journeys, and I would really like to experience love for the first time before that happens. Failing that, I have heard rumors of something called Shadow Keeper that may allow me to date someone else? Keldorn, now THATS a man...
    Sign me...
    FRUSTRATED IN SULDANESSELLAR

P.S. I noticed that I was treated with a fair amount of respect in the Drow city (where females have the power). There was much female-specific dialouge, but I don't think I got any extra or different quests.
    Elsewhere, the only other difference I noticed is that if you have to rescue someone (like Garren Windspear's child), that person is always the opposite sex from you. Abby isn't it terrible how women are just considered "just another one of the guys" by everyone she meets except those nice drow (the fact that there was a huge number of murders just before our leaving the city is a complete fabrication, and anyway, how could anyone be left to identify us?)

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited February 27, 2001).]

18. Lo Guest

I never realised that guys could be into playing female characters. Then I've asked my friend what portrait he used for BG1, and he said he couldn't remember, but the name he used was "Lola" :D That was quite a surprise to me... Anybody care to explain the attraction of playing crossgender char?

But true enough the female protagonist is just one of the guys for most of BG2, this could be explained by political correctness, or because it would take quite some time to invest in separate gender storylines. But also having the uniform game brings the human male and female players together because of the same game experience, and for those of us who only play through a game like BG2 only once it's a good thing.

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Maybe it´s the nicer paperdoll. However Lord Balduran: Romance is for humans, elves and halfelves only. I consider that an anachronistic and racist feature of the game but I can´t change it.

20. Silroth Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Dear Brunhilde,

what stands between you and Anomen is your rather peculiar preoccupation with paladins. Anomen is a very sensitiv male and senses this terrible scar in your otherwise pure and good soul. You must see through the paladins superficial guise. Once you surrender control to them, they will misuse this power to establish a dictatorial regime.
    Just take alook at some of the examples on this board:
    Blackthorne's first deed after coming to power was the dreadful and utter destruction of a full thread with all the wunderful ideas carried by the posts.
    Sir Gigolo Belisarius is a Paladin, who righteously admonishes errors in others and lives a life to make a barabarian blush.
    So Brunhilde please go into introspection and see if you can cleanse your soul of those terrible beings, and I am sure Anomen will find his true feeling for you are of the same intense and beautiful quality as yours.

Sincerely yours
    Abby

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.