1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wimbledon 2008

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't really like tennis but I usually watch this.

Who do we reckon is going to win guys?

My guesses:

Womens - Ana Ivanovic
    Mens - Rafael Nadal

I'm hoping that neither of the Williams sisters do anything, I'm fed up of the sioght of them. Same for Federer, we need someone else to win it this year, I reckon it's Nadal's year.

2. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Ah yes. Well the only thing I'll bet on is, at some point, it will rain, because it always does.
    Would be nice to see Murray do well, but he reacts to pressure like the Biff the Understudy. Nadal - maybe. Federer could win again but it's boring when the same person keeps winning, so I hope for a change, even though I have nothing against him.
    As for the women, I'm not too bothered.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Boring, maybe... but I think Nadal cannot compete with Federer on grass.

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

As a huge fan of Federer's game I hope he'll win but if it's Fed vs. Nadal in the final I'd give Nadal the slight advantage. However I'm feeling that Nadal is somewhat more likely to fall before the final than Federer, he had to play a tough match against Gulbis today and Nadal has some danger in his part of the draw still remaining.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think it's pretty clear by now that Federer will never beat Nadal on clay and Nadal will never beat federer on grass. A pity really because both players deserve to win all four grand slams, but it will never happen unless an injury occurs.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'm not so sure about that. Nadal will loose in Roland Garros eventually, I certainly don't believe he's going to win ten in a row and it's well possible that when Nadal looses, Federer is still left in the draw, there is also the chance of a possible injury not to mention the possibility that Nadal simply has a bad day or is tired or not focused or whatever. I would agree that Fed has little chance against a fully fit Nadal on clay.

As for Wimbledon Nadal is very close and this might be his year, the problem is of course that the hard hitters that Nadal usually does badly against also often like the grass of Wimbledon and he's therefore more likely to meet opponents that don't suit his style and therefore an earlier exit is more likely than with Fed. However at their current form I'd say that Nadal has an advantage over Federer even on grass, because Nadal is simply a very bad matchup for Fed and is on a roll.

As for both of them winning all four, Fed has been a lot closer to that than Nadal. Nadal has not gone past the quarters in US open which is played on fast hard his absolutely worst surface (after possibly carpet which is used so rarely that it is barely worthy of mention) and only once done semis in Australia. I find it hard to argue how Nadal would deserve all four grand slams when his performance in Australia and especially US has not been all that impressive.

7. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Mm, who knows, after Murray's amazing comeback yesterday, he may even give Nadal a challenge. I tend to think Nadal will win but with Murray, you just never know. He can be genius or terrible, sometimes both within the same game...

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What an amazing men's final (the women's final was pretty good as well). I couldn't leave my seat from the end of the third set on except for the rain delays.

9. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Let me first establish that I never watch tennis... ever. With that in mind on my daily sports reading I have gathered a knowledge base on the sport probably greater than the casual observer. With a Nadal -v- Federer final coming up and me having nothing to do (I'm house-sitting) I decided I was would watch it. Unfortunately something came up and I figured I'd missed it, so when I came back and it was on, fifth set tied at 2-2 I was ready to get into it. Then the rain delay hit and I got sidetracked. Luckily it was only a couple points later that I saw it on again, and it was amazing. Any sport to me is absolutely riveting if it is a good match and this was certainly the case. Incredible, ending, it almost makes me upset that I still won't be more than a casual observer.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Would have liked to see Federer break the record but a great game is a great game. Was my tennis game per decade.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.