1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Offensive/Defensive Mages

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shadow Druid, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Shadow Druid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Here's my current party.

ME, h/e druid/fighter. (offensive spells)
    Minsc
    Anomen (healer)
    Aerie (romance)
    Jan

and soon to be Keldorn. But my question is, who should I have as my offensive mage (mostly evocation/summons) and as my defensive mage (abjuration, transmutation) ? It's between Jan and Aerie. But if this doesn't work out than I am thinking about going with;
    (i'm just outside of Irenicus' dungeon)

Me, human abjurer
    Anomen (healer)
    Yoshimo
    Minsc
    Keldorn
    Jaheira (romance)

Then having Imoen later instead of Yoshimo and having her with a bunch of offensive spells.
    What do you guys think?

2. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Edwin is a good offensive mage
    and Jan has a lot of defensive spells
    keep Aerie for her Clerical healing and protective spells
    but keep Jan and also pick up Edwin
    Anomen can also be a good tank if he has the right equipment

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I wouldn't play an abjurer, but that's just because there are some nice transmutation spells.

Why does each mage have to be specialized? An offensive mage with tons of protections up is able to stomp any enemy in the game solo.

I wouldn't take Edwin. You need more melee power. Your initial plan of taking Keldorn is a good idea.

She's also an offensive force to be reckoned with if you give her the right spells.

4. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You want a single class mage for offensive magic as most missile/area spells have effects based on character level.

To be honest the character that can cast the most damaging offensive spells is Haer'D, because his effective level will always be higher than a mage on the same XP. He can got into defensive spin and just sit there casting spells and not get hurt while your melee fighters finish off the rabble.

Both mages should cast some offensive/defensive spells otherwise if one is taken out of the fight then you lose that ability.

Clerics have some great party-wide defeensive spells you should utilise. Druids have probably the best anti-mage spells in the game. You seem to have both of these covered in either party - personally I prefer druids to clerics in BG2, especially against mages and there are a lot of those.

Imoen will be a great mage when you eventually get her, but will be lacking in levels. Edwin is the most powerful mage, but Nalia is the best GOOD mage in the game and is better than Imoen because of the XP she gains when Imoen is captured.

Aerie can be awesome and has some amazing spell combinations. You can mix her offensive divine and arcane magic to great effect. Try doom-doom-doom-chromaticorb against a dragon and watch the effect (awesome). She is very under-rated, but if you use here right and actually use her cleric/mage spells in combinations she is just devastating and can actually cast more spells than any other character in the game.

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The only problem with that is many spells cap off at level 10 for damage:level.

6. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

True.

There are a couple of good ones that have higher levels before being capped - chromatic orb, flame arrow, skull trap, sunfire.

Also, a lot of the area effect, confusion and summon spells have durations/ranges based on level and the bard excels at these as well.

You do however, need a mage for the higher level spells of L7-9.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.