1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scribing spells

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by joacqin, Nov 21, 2001.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I thought about this when a read anoter topic. It is something I have given quite alot of thought. The failure when copying down spells is disastrous. We will take Edwin int: 18 give him a potion of genius and he will have 23 (not sure about numbers here, what is the bonust from potion of genius?) he have 98% chance of learning spell from scroll. What I have noticed and been annoyed at every time i play is that even if I have 98% chans of learning spell it fails atleast 25% of the times. I filled Edwins inventory with spells gave him a potion and started to read. I did this three times and every time there was atleast three spells that did not get learned. Have anyone else noticed this or is it just me that is a whining little boy?

[look i became a ghoul :D]

[This message has been edited by joacqin (edited November 21, 2001).]

2. Naer Dhal Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I tell you this, its not you..I had the same problem with a INT score of 22, normal is 18 (97%), 3 spells in a row, I couldnt scribe, but I think, the programmers have added something to the game, making it harder to scribe scrolls depending their lvl.

I.E. A 1 lvl easy etc. etc. making 8 and 9 lvl scrolls hard to scribe, which of course is understandable, but then they should have put it in the manual or did I miss something ??

3. Skull Mage Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

you guys just have bad luck I guess with 19 int I never fail even lvl 9

4. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] I think the software just has a problem with numbers it promise and numbers it use. Bad programming.

5. Lord Sarevok Guest

I never play on core rules in BG2 but I just save before I try to in BG. Waste of a potion if you asked me. While I can understand how things like hitpoint rolls and scroll scribing add spice to a pen and paper game, I see no use for them in a computer game. Instead of being glad I got a good roll, I'm usually angry that I didn't get the best. But that's just me, maybe I'm just never in the "roll" playing mood.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited November 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited November 22, 2001).]

6. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I used to reload if I didn't get it, but nowadays reloading annoys me so I just pray it works

7. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Edwin = Conjourer

If IRC, then he gets a penelty to learn scrols from other schools of magic, eg necromany or is it just the oposite school.

Hmmm

8. Skull Mage Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

not a penalty he just cant learn opposing spell schools

9. Demonater351 Guest

Just a hint: During battles, play at whatever skill level you wish. But when you want to set aside some time to scribe spells, lower the difficulty to normal or lower, then when you're done, raise the difficulty back to where it was. That's only if you want to though...

By the by, since Edwin is a Conjurer, he can't use Divining spells. Also, since Jan is an Illusionist, he can't use Necromancy spells.

[This message has been edited by Demonater351 (edited November 22, 2001).]

10. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Lord Sarevok, if you don't mind me asking, what else do you use those potions for if that is a "waste"? :hmm:

11. Lord Sarevok Guest

You sell them and buy a Robe of Vecna :D.

12. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

The mind focussing potion improves both int and dex by 3 points and so is useful to improve AC, and missile THACO, it also lasts for 12 hours! (game time).
    Don't forget that it can also be used to imrpove thief skills (dex increase) if you don't have a "thief" potion.

The genius potion increases int by 4 and lasts for 15 turns (2.5 hours game time)

The potions are cumlative as well. Drink 3 genius potions and you get and extra 12 points.

They are very useful when you face Mind Flayers, can take more hits before they drain your int and kill you.

You need to sell a lot of them to buy that robe of vecna. At rep 20 I think the robe costs about 10,000 gp. Your potion is probably a few hundred to sell.

I personally never sell potions as I always find a use for them and try to never horde them (my first time through BG1 I had over 150 stored in various stashes by the end of the game vowed never to horde again :D )

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

13. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Never horde eh?

Bugger, I best open an Offie!

14. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Well, I have just found out I am not being strictly honest
    I just played with my TOB party for an hour and realised that since they now have two potion sacks I am actually carrying about 100 potions :D.

I don't know about an offie, I am a walking chemist :)

At least I carry them all with me now rather than squirel them away. I seem to be using them as fast as I find them. I hope one of these bhaalspawn invite me to a party, I could run the bar :D

Cheers,

WittyNewt

15. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

well, i for one am glad for the potions of genius. I usually stockpile a whack of them because my bard has a base int of 11. When his intelligence goes up into the twenties, not only does scribing increase to a nearly flawless point, but the amount of spells he can actually scribe per level increases accordingly. I'm usually happy with what i'm able to scribe, but occassionally, and usually when i need the spell the most, it fails. This also happens when i've scribed about twelve spells consecutively and i have to decide whether or not i want to go back and do it all over again. Sometimes it's a pain, but it adds to the realism a little so, not bad. I remember another game, years ago... what was it now.... oh yeah, the pools of radiance series on the c-64 which made you rest in order to scribe spells. No failure rate, but time was needed, so you could have had rest interrupted and so on. There are many things the designers missed the boat on, but one thing that comes to mind, now that i'm reminded of old games, is the food thing. I'm not sure i altogether enjoy games that made you buy food. Anyway...

16. Lord Sarevok Guest

Yeah, like in Betrayal at Krondor you have to have a certain amount of rations or you starve. Some of the rations are spoiled and if you eat them you get sick. There are also posioned rations. I felt more like a USDA inspector than someone playing a game. Since when you right click on it it tells you, why would the guys eat them if they knew they were posioned?

Why do you insist on playing on core rules if you can't live with it when something bad happens? That's why I play on normal difficulty.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited November 23, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.