1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

real evil way in Ust Natha

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Capt Massacre, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've tried various ways in Ust Natha towards the end, the ritual.

Playing evil, you can do 5 things:

1) Trust Phaere to the bitter end, that is the Demon kills Ardulace, then Phaere gives the eggs, the Demon reveals you and you must fight him (4 bolts of glory and he's dead!) After that, you must fight the city, which isn't that hard.
    The Demon has spoiled the eggs, so Adalon will be mad at you, and you should fight her too, which is very hard.

2) Like 1, but you don't fight Adalon, you flee (it's possible, if you had the doors opened before the ritual).

3) Like (1) or (2), but you turn Phaere in (funny). It's about the same, except the Demon reveals you to Ardulace.

4) You don't kill Solaufein, you have both Ardulace and Phaere killed by the Demon, then when he's about to leave, you sacrifice the eggs (you can do that only if you're evil).
    Then, the Demon can open the Underdark doors for you and open the way in the city. Or you take the Halberd, fight your way in the city, then maybe face Adalon.

5) You do kill Solaufein, but when the Imp warns you, you're afraid of Adalon and interrupt the ritual (another funny moment).

The real discussion is between ways 1 and 4.

The way 1 is harder, it implies that you can take on the Demon and the Dragon. But I imagine that even through the way 4, you want to kill Adalon.
    Anyway, I think the fight with Drizzt, a bit later, is even harder than Adalon, so you have to be a strong party at that moment.

It seems that the designers intended the way 4 to be the "official" evil way: You get quest xp at least; it's not an "impossible" task like killing the Demon; Adalon is angry.
    Yet, the way 1 seems the more logical for the evil party. Without knowledge of future events, why would you hesitate to kill Solaufein? Why do the exact same thing as the good party?
    When you spare Solaufein, he hints at your unDrow goodness. That makes you feel "bad" when you're evil. That's wrong.
    You have to rationalise it away. I hate that. I think they made a mistake.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    How about this sequence: kill Solaufein, rat on Phaere to Ardulace (thereby getting Phaere executed), exchange the eggs, wait for the demon to kill Ardulace and then sacrifice the eggs yourself? I remember being able to sacrifice the eggs even with Sola dead.

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I didn't find the demon that "impossible". I tried to pickpocket him to see if I could get the Halberd off him with a good party but he was too large for it to work. So I just defeated him for the exp.

4. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Ziad, that would be perfect, but when you turn Phaere in, I think the imp appears, then the guards, then the ritual starts? So you don't have time to substitute eggs.
    If you exchange the eggs before you talk to Ardulace, the game forces you to say Ardulace so, that's your proof, so Ardulace will sacrifice the real eggs.
    If you don't, the key is proof enough, but the ritual starts and you only have fake eggs. I wonder how you did it. For clarity, I use the last fixpack (v.6).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  5. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

When transformed into drow you can also bribe the drow at the gate to let you through but you will miss a lot.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Hum I'm not sure... I may be mixing things up between different playthroughs. I remember being able to give Ardulace the key, pickpocket back and then exchange the eggs, but I don't remember if Sola needs to be alive for this to work. I thought he did not, but if you can't do it then maybe he does. I never used the Fixpack, so I don't know if that affects the sequence of the events.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.