1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

United States - Fatty Food Heaven?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Does eating bacteria-laden food constitute eating meat? Is this against vegetarian and unber-vegetarian guidlines? Just curious.

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Of course it doesn't. There is bacteria in everything. Bacteria is neither sentient nor capable of suffering, and microbiologists do not even consider bacteria to be a living entity. In other words, broccoli is actually more alive than bacteria. Since vegetarians have no qualms about eating broccoli (unless they just don't like it), they won't be worried about bacteria either. While you'll find the occasional Jainist who avoids root vegetables and the like because of the high presence of microbial life found in them, this is actually the exception (even among Jainists, these people are considered extreme)...not the rule. :)

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The most important thing with meat is that it is fresh when you cook or fry or roast it. After that, it is good for a while. One of the worst things to happen with supermarket meat is that the cooling chain has been interrupted, so the meat melts on transport and freezes again and so forth, or that it is stored too warm, and of course, too long. This causes meat to be really bad, and storing leftovers for a few days in the fridge should be much less a concern.

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Yeah I remember a scandal in Sweden a few months ago when stores were actually selling old minced meat by just replacing the labels with new expiration dates. More than a few individual stores seemed to be guilty of this.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

That story about the meat with replaced expiration labels is utterly repulsive, Morgoroth. I'd bet that sort of $ first, customer health later sort of attitude is not limited to Sweden, sadly enough . . .

As for food poisoning, I've often been of the opinion that in many cases (not all, mind you) there is another factor involved in the person getting sick. I've left casseroles and cooked hamburger on the stove overnight and eaten it the next day and not had a problem. However, When my 80+ year old father has done this sort of thing, he gets sick. I'd say that's because of his age and otherwise weakening constitution rather than JUST the food.

I also wanted to mention about putting food straight from the oven into the freezer, unless you're talking about REALLY hot food and a really inefficient freezer, I cannot imagine that the hot food would be able to thaw the food already in a freezer to such a degree that the frozen food would be in the "danger zone" for contamination. At the same time, though, it sounds kind of silly to me to move the food that quickly.

6. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I assume Jains don't eat root vegetables, since to obtain the root of a plant requires you to kill the plant. Now there's a philosophy I can respect. As for the rest of you evil plant killers, fie on ye I say! :mad:

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Is mandrake root fair game? :grin:

8. Drew

Media:
    You have to kill the plant for more than just root vegetables. The reason some Jainists avoid them is the high concentration of microbial life found in them.

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Mississippi is prepared to do something about obese people not being able to control what they put into their own mouths:

Mississippi Legislature Introduces Bill that Would Ban Restaurants from Serving the Obese

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's ridiculous.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] That REALLY is... something like that passing in the Land of the Free? You've got to be kidding me...

But apparently it's true. It just seems unbelievable to me... There are states in the U.S. that won't prohibit smoking in public places, which is detrimental to the smoker and everyone else, but Mississippi is now going to control whether an individual is allowed to be served in restaurants? What's next, separate bathrooms for the obese and non-obese? What the ...?!

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    1. It'll never pass.
    2. Were it to pass, there's no way to enforce it.

This is nothing but another desperate attempt to call attention to the problem.

And then there's this approach...

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The guy didn't expect it to become a law; as Rally said it is an attempt to call attention to the problem.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20080204/ca_pr_on_od/oddity_no_serve_law

Hilarious! Even the sponsor would be banned! :lol:

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

But how many people could you stop? And how many restaurants would actually want to ban their best customers?

15. Drew

Media:
    Pretty much every restaurant that has an all you can eat buffet...

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Good point, Drew...

17. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've always thought all-one-can eat buffets were (unless all they were serving was raw unseasoned lettuce and brown rice crackers) a bad idea anyway.
    Ingesting a small amount of nasties is good for your immune system. Quite a few new studies point to excessive cleanliness as a factor in several (pretty nasty) illnesses.
    Regarding the edibility of soup, the easiest way to make sure it keeps is to spoil it from the beginning. Round here, the most common way to do that is to add bran vinegar (verjus, alternatively) and lovage to it. The acid in the vinegar and the mildly antiseptic compounds in the lovage act as natural preservers. Of course, the taste seems a bit odd for a first time eater. Heavily spicing it (with fresh pungent herbs like tarragon) also helps increase edibility 'lifespan'.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

It comes down to an ideological argument. Are people responsible for what they do? Or is the state responsible for everything? Now, I'm putting it into overly simplistic terms, but that's kind of what it boils down to. I most certainly DO NOT want the government telling me what I can and cannot eat. Drugs are one thing that can have societal consequences, but food is different by an order of magnitude. If I serve someone food, it is not my responsibility to tell them when to stop eating that food.

Now in the case of the all you can eat place, they're just trying to turn a profit! I know some people eat more than "X" amount of food and some people eat less, but let's be realistic here and say that if a fellow consistantly eats 4 times "X" he's hurting the business and under those terms they have every right to ask the guy to not return, as it is not a good business situation for the owners. By brother and his friends were asked not to come back to an all you can eat place in Japan for this very reason.

19. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Food is not actually that much different, if you eat enough to become obese the probability for all sorts of health issues increases and may lead to disablities and make you unable to work normally. This probably leads to the state having to take care of you anyhow. Now you might argue that the state should not be responsible to do so but I for some reason very much dislike the idea of leaving people to die with their disabilities even if they were caused by their own obsessions.

20. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I hardly think my post advocated letting obese people die in the street without any help. By the same token, do you really relish the idea of the government coming at you with calipers and telling you what to eat?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.