1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random housemate/people you live with ranting/venting thread

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Strife, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Hello all,

In the spirit of the random school/work ranting thread, I've looked through the Whatnots board, and since there doesn't seem to be a thread like this, I've decided to start it.

Let me start by talking about my housemate.. this guy's 26 years old, and I don't think he's ever done any serious housework in his life. The longest he's ever left unwashed dishes in the sink is about 5 days, and he tends to keep unwashed crockery and utensils in his room, depriving us of their use. When he finally decides to wash his dishes, often as not he tends to do them poorly, leaving grease and sauce and whatnot on his supposedly "washed" dishes. Also, he tends to mess up the kitchen while he's cleaning - splashes water all over the floor, remnants of soapy water over the tabletops.

So, please share your housemate horror stories.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sounds like a regular heterosexual guy to me. Properly in touch with his masculine side, that's the way!

I live with 2 mates, both are tidy freaks as far as I'm concerned. Cleaning the dishes isn't a massive problem. I usually buy food I can eat without preparing, and eat it out of whatever packing it comes in, then just throw the packaging. That's the way forward in the fast moving world of today!

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The worst I've seen (good friend who lived next door - luckily not with me), she didn't have a sense of smell, which lead to really disgusting things. That lead to some really horrible times.

The worst was probably half a year ago or so, when her sister was up visiting. We were over having a few drinks and her sister came back from the kitchen and asked what the green stuff was. Turned out she had spilt something (gods knows what) at the bottom of the fridge well over a month ago. The smell was so bad, after the fridge had been opened a bit, we ended up exacuating over to my place. And of course, she really couldn't see what the fuss was about.

So yes, my recommendation : never go flatting with someone who can't smell.

4. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Rotku: speaking of smell..

Last year, I went overseas for a month or so, and only this housemate of mine was left in the house.

When I came back, I discovered that he hadn't washed the toilet for the whole month. Suffice to say that the stains and smell were quite.. memorable.

Really wasn't fun having to wash the damn toilet just so I could use it, even before I'd started unpacking and all.

5. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    I have many rants about my flatmate, but since im short on time, i'll just give a little one.

My flatmate has disappeared for 3 days and not switched his alarm off, its been going continously since he left. He also went away to India for 2 weeks and left his alarm on, luckly then it only went off for an hour at 8am and 8pm.

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Reminds me of a sign they used to have at the cafeteria at University, saying: "Your mother doesn't work here - clean up after yourself!" Maybe you should put one up in the kitchen. ;)

7. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Montresor: Believe me, I've considered it, but seeing as how I've told him many times in person, I don't see how putting up a sign will help.

Dalveen: I feel for you. Just break down his door, turn off the alarm clock, and then claim that a burglar broke in :D

I still have many more stories, but here's another one: this fella is always paying his share of the rent/bills late. I'll tell him a week beforehand, "Rent/bills are due next week." and he'll go "Okay!", and then merrily forget about them There's just been too many times where I've had to pay out of my own pocket first, and keep chasing him for his share.

I suppose I should move out with better people or by myself, but I can't afford it now, and this place is nice for the price. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the emotional stress though.

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

OMG, you want to know about smells? One guy I used to share with for a while (he had his girlfriend with him too, she just seemed to appear one day and never leave) would smoke in his room (no biggie, I do that as long as the windows and door are all open) and only ever empty the ashtray into a plastic shopping bag which also never left the room,he would even go through it and use the tobacco from the butts when he ran out of smokes at the end of the week.

I also eventually found out that he had an empty plastic 2-litre bottle in his room so he didn't have to go to the toilet if he needed to pee, and I think he had his showering routine set at once a week, but he often seemed to forget that too.

He did the same thing as Strife's housemate with his dishes, he'd leave them in his room for days on end, often with food scraps still on them, and his clothes and linen were always strewn everywhere except where they should be - in drawers and what not. Plus they never found their way into the laundry.

Needless to say, he didn't last very long living with me, maybe a month to a month and a half

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That guy DOES sound foul. I can't believe his girlfriend let him be like that. She must be a waster, too.

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, I'm not too pleased about living with someone again, but this new housemate has been a positive surprise, so far. She's quiet, laid-back, minds her own buisness (not the party type either -- thankfully), cleans after herself (if it's dirty, it's usually my fault), respects my property, and she's actually pretty fun to have around.

So in my case, it's all good.

11. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Yup, indeed she was... they actually met working with a travelling carnival.

Mind you, at least she was a step-up in cleanliness from his previous gf, when he was with HER they actually got kicked out of their flat and blacklisted as tenants because their whole flat was filthy, roaches everywhere, food scraps everywhere, just a complete garbage dump of a state it was in. You could smell it from over 50 metres away

12. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Aldazar: Your story is so scary it's scarcely believable. Then again, I've known plenty of people here who seem to only shower once a week, especially in the winter. Smokers not clearing their ashtrays seem pretty common (thankfully no one in my house smokes), but the bottle for urine really takes the cake. Did he actually empty out the bottle? I shudder to think of how he might have disposed of it.

Did you actually tell him that no, he's not allowed to live with you anymore? There weren't any contractual obligations? I'm surprised he lasted a month to 6 weeks.

Hearing your story now at least makes me feel somewhat better that this housemate of mine hasn't degenerated to that point.

13. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

I do believe that when he was living in my place he emptied it on occasion. Although with the last gf he had lived with I believe they had a number of bottles in their bedroom.

I didn't know at first because he did a good job of hiding those from me, I was at work quite often which left the two of them with basically the run of the house, and yes I just turfed him when I realised the depth of his "strangeness", no lease for him or anything like that.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Since I moved out of my parent's house, the only person I've lived with is my girlfriend-turned-wife.

However...I have crashed at several of my friend's places who had *nasty* roommates, or were just kind of gross themselves. :bad:

My buddy has a bunch of pot plants growing in his closet, and whatever he uses as fertilizer makes the entire room smell like crap. He claims it wasn't manure, but it sure smelled like it. Unfortunately, his computer that I was fixing was in the same room, and I had to put up with the stench for a few hours. :bad:

While crashing at another friend's place, we wanted food, so we all piled in his car because it was the biggest...yeah, the smell in there was overwhelming... Apparently, every time he got fast food, he would just throw the bag in to the very back of his SUV where it would rot. :bad:

I have a few other stories, but they are far too gross to post here. Trust me, you don't want to know... :skeptic: :rolling:

15. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31

He lived with a duo of carnies. That makes the story completely believable.

16. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Giles: I don't see how living with a duo of carnies makes the story entirely believable, not that I don't believe what Aldazar said.

Another story about my housemate, this one's about Internet usage. Now, he's a pretty bad WoW and DotA addict, and whenever I surf the net/watch videos/download stuff, he's quick to shout at me to do it another time because I'm lagging him.

I used to oblige him, but seeing that as we pay an equal share of the Internet bill, and he's using it most of the time since he doesn't seem to have a job, I'm going to just ignore him, and even better, if he shouts at me again, I'll just increase my download speeds. :D

17. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31

Strife, I take it you are not of the United States. Here in the US, carnies have quite the reputation for being... interesting.

18. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I could whine all day long about the various unpleasant aspects of living with my mom, but the fact remains that it's the best solution at the moment. If I lived by myself, it would have to be in an apartment building, where I could never make the kind of racket I now get to make at least occasionally. (That means working on my pipes when I'm alone.)

I could say a few words about the TV volume around here. Let's just say it doesn't surprise me that my mom's fillings are coming off.

19. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

I was looking through the fridge last night, and discovered that my housemate had finished my entire 2 litre bottle of milk.

He had his own bottle, but he mistook mine for his.

Now, if he just had a bit of it, I could understand, but surely you don't drink an entire 2 litre bottle of milk and not even look at the label once? It's not as if we bought the same brand and type of milk as well.

20. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Gee I really think I'm starting to appreciate living at home; free food, cleaners, use of cars, large room to myself, just 10mins from the city - I'm set :D (on reflection I probably don't have too much of a choice, 30+hrs of uni a week aren't conducive to earning rent money and doing housework)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.