1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dentists...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hate them!

Went to the dentists this aff, and it was horrendous. First, he jabbed me in the mouth with the biggest bloody needle you've ever seen - I saw him pick it up and walk over, I was like [crap - /dmc]! I'm being attacked by a mad man with killer needle! I'm mortally afraid of the things - which actually did nothing as when he started drilling my tooth it bloody killed! Never known pain like it. So he jabbed me again with the needle, a bigger dose this time and made my entire face numb. There's nothing more degrading than dribbling and having no power to stop it. I looked in mirror after I had lips like Teal'c out of Stargate! Like someone had strapped 2 sausages to my face.

Then I could still feel the pain a bit when he started drilling again, he offered to jab me in the face again, I was like 'Just carry on going you bloody sadist!'. I could feel my head vibrating and reverberating as he drilled away. Left me with a monging headache.

Now, the numbness is slowly going from my face and leaving behind an immense dull pain. My tooth and jaw kills, I've a headache and I feel sick. Not enjoyable in the slightest. I'm never going to the dentists again!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2007
  2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Isn't that one of the main British motto's?

:p

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My worst dentist story was while I was in the Navy. The dentist decided I needed my wisdom teeth out. So there we were... (just wanted to say that) rocking and rolling on the water and the dentist can only give me a local -- the Captain didn't allow me to go under (some sadistic thing about a security clearance) -- it wasn't too bad until he couldn't get one of them to come out whole. So he grabs this big-ass hammer and a chisel and start to work on it. Now, of course, I'm a bit concerned the rolling of the ship is going to affect his aim and I'll end up with chisel through my neck or a broken nose, but he successfully broke the tooth (and nearly my jaw) and I survived. But damn, my mouth was sore for while.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Dental visits are much easier to take when they happen twice a year, instead once every 10 years. ;) :p

5. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    My teeth rock, I don't have any cavities. *knock on wood*

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ha! Beat me to it. :evil: :p

I don't mind dentists. Growing up, my family dentist was awesome. He used techniques that made the visit as painless as possible.

Once we moved to Utah, our dentist was the "Team Dentist" of the local NBA team. I always liked going to his office...not because he was the best dentist, but because his dental assistants were unbelievably gorgeous. :love:

And while the guy who took out my wisdom teeth was an oral surgeon and not really a dentist, that was the best experience I've ever had concerning my teeth. :rolling:

7. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I hate dentists! All because a few years ago I had a tooth in need of removal so, being the unemployed poor person I was at the time, I went to the local Free Clinic dentist. Anyway, the first needle did nothing so he jabbed me with a second and got to work, I could still feel the pain quite clearly though so I demanded a third needle, finally blocked the pain. Then he gets out his evil-looking frickin pliers to pull the tooth and after a bit of wiggling of the tooth by this twit the crown crumbled. So out comes the drill and crowbar-looking thing. Finally after 45 minutes and three needles I was released and since then I've barely been able to look at a 'normal' medical syringe letalone those terrifyingly HUGE dentist ones

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I hate you.

Jeez Barmy, he's supposed to make sure the novacaine has kicked in before digging around in there.

My first dentist came straight out of the army and was a really b*****d. He enjoyed calling me names and putting me down, then told me to stop acting like a p**** when I stormed out of his office. This is the same guy who yanked out my front teeth when I was 3. :nolike: I am so glad he's dead.

I really hate the hygenists. They like poking at cavities when cleaning teeth. "Does that hurt?" You stuck a sharpened, metal prong in a blackened area of gum/tooth. FFS, yes it hurts!

9. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I was very lucky in that my mother started taking me to the dentist when I was very young, and that said dentist was very concerned about my childhood fears. My dental birth defects were identified by the time I was four, and my regular dental care started when I was five.
    My dentist's goal from very early on was to keep my natural teeth in my head until I was 30, and I made it to 32 before I lost the first one.
    He's also very good about using the topical anesthetic before needle o' doom, and is well aware of my psychological problem with needles, so he is very gentle, and does not "jab" the needle into my mouth.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My teeth always feel much better after going the dentist. He polishes them up so nicely. Can't believe how much crud builds up on them between visits.

If only it wasn't so expensive, I'd go more than once a year.

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Can't say I've ever had a problem with dentists, even when I was younger. Never had to have a filling or braces- the only damage to my teeth I've suffered was snapping one in half when I landed face first coming off a trampoline. Other than that incident, I've been rather fortunate.

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    If it makes you feel any better, Kuemper, know that though very strong, my teeth are also very stubborn, resulting in a downright refusal to fall out (the milk variant) and very strange and crooked arrangements in my mouth when the adult ones appeared. After serious brace-wearing, they are now behaving in a more disciplined way. ;) I've also needed full surgery to remove all wisdom teeth and a couple of others because my mouth was too small to accomodate them all. So I've had my share of needles. :p

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Not fond of them, since I don't take real good care of my teeth, but they have some cool stuff too. All the gadgets when I had a root canal... :bigeyes:

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Haha, yeah, the dental assistants and front deskies are very good looking at my dental office.

Dentistry is alright, I guess, I am not a big fan, but I don't dread it besides the fact that it is a waste of 45 minutes.

15. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I didn't like my dentist when he kept insisting that I get braces. Sure, my teeth are clearly crooked, but at least they are clean and strong as I never had a cavity before. It's not like I'd die or have serious complications later in life if I didn't get braces (unlike, say, wisdom teeth). To me, braces were just optional to get if you're willing to sacrifice money, good food, and maybe a healthy tooth or two, for some pain. Sometimes I look back and regret it, thinking maybe if I had straight teeth, I'd have a girlfriend by now, but... meh.

16. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Blog, there are other reasons to get braces besides straightening teeth and more to straightening teeth than just aesthetics. Braces are a part of orthodontia which concerns the alignment of your teeth but your treatment would most likely include correcting your bite and anything else you need done. Having bad teeth and an over or underbite can cause you serious health problems down the road. Cosmetics are part, but not the whole behind braces.

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    My worst dentist experience:

Root. Canal. Without. Local.

The Marathon Man experience. It hurts a lot, and intensively. My dentist, the sadistic bastard persuaded me that only that way he would have certainty that the nerve was indeed dead and could be extracted. He did a heck of a job. He is a very good craftsman. I still go there, but ever since then I'm afraid of the dentist. His assistants were gorgeous and comforting. A pity they don't work there anymore.

18. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    My dentists have been awesome, of course the fact that I usually just open my mouth, plan some game thingies in my head and not concentrate on the real world helps.

Is it possible that just all British dentists happen to be horrible?

19. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

My dental experiences have been good for the most part. I go twice a year for check-ups and cleanings. Like T2Bruno was, I am in the military and it is part of our medical care. (Pay is crap but some benefits are great)

My worst experience was having to have all my wisdom teeth pulled because my mouth was too small to accomodate them, like in Uytuun's case. My teeth were strong and healthy so the dentist bruised the whole right side of my face trying to pull them. This was only one bad experience though. Like Trellheim, I just sort of veg out and don't think about what is going on so it is over before I know it.

20. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll 2nd that. Never had any issues with my teeth what-so-ever.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.