1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best game ever

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Stardust, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It's funny how I read most of these responses as "I really want this thread to be locked down right away.", instead of the text that people put into them.

In case anyone needs a translation - this isn't Whatnots. Post accordingly.

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Nothing against the games proposed, but no game I've ever played is as addictive as any of teh Civilization games from Sid Meier and the boys at Microporse/Firaxis. Even the Activision knock-off Call to Power was addictive...

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Some might think I'm crazy here, but a game I REALLY loved back in the day was Mechcommander.

Gnarf's post, which references Microprose--who IIRC developed Mechcommander--caused the memory of this game to rise from some deep crevice of my brain.

Looking back, Mechcommander was a fairly boring, static game, but the fact that there was no saving during missions always seemed to keep me on the edge of my seat. And I just loved trying to come up with the best combination of mechs for each mission, and outfitting them with equipment that best complemented their intended pilots' skills.

I played through that game so many times.

I later picked up Mechcommander 2, and enjoyed it quite a bit as well, but not nearly to the degree of the original. And really, I think the added ability to save during missions is a lot of what spoiled it for me. The sequel was just too easy. I know, I know, no one was putting a gun to my head and making me save, but I guess I didn't have that kind of willpower.

Anyhow, I certainly wouldn't say this is my all time favorite, but it ranks fairly high on my list.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Microprose made some of the best games of the 90s, including X-Com, Darklands and Master of Magic. Great games.

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The Secret of Monkey Island was a game that completely got me hooked. I don`t think any game til this day has hooked me so badly. Other games hooked me also, but not nearly as close as Monkey Island did.
    Too bad they hardly make any of those adventure games anymore.

6. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Total Annihilation. By far one of the best games ever made, purely for the diversity of units available on the net.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Phew, it could be one of many games.

Half Life
    Half Life 2
    Rome: Total War
    Baldurs Gate 2

... and more!

8. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

/chant
    Torment. Torment. Torment.
    /end chant

9. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I used to think that Ninja Scooter on the Spectrum was the best game ever.

10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I remember an addiction to Pirates back in the early 1990's as well on my old Commodore 64. I got it on a demo disk with a game magazine, but with no manual and awkward keyboard controls, it was not the same...

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It's honestly a toss up between World of Warcraft and Counterstrike simply based on number of players.

No other games even come near to the success of these two.

12. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I've recently started playing PS:T and it seems good. But for now i can easily say BG2. Also River Raid for Atari2600. I've wasted my childhood with it. :mad:

13. Stardust Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Grim Fandango is sooo cool :)

14. Kizmiaz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Fallout.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only a year ago I would have said the BG series, PST and the Civ series and those are still awesome games which I have spent countless hours on. After having spent more than a year and probably up to 150 playing *days* in World of warcraft I have to say it is a pretty god damn good game.

16. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    BG II is of course top of the heap, but then there are all the classics like:

Virtua Fighter - Pixelated 3D violence has never been the same since
    Road Rash - Pure genius :D
    Street Fighter II - "Shoryuken!!" - "Sonic Boom!!"
    Outlaws - King of cowboy shooters

Edit:Spelling

[ August 26, 2006, 19:39: Message edited by: theGodless ]

17. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

BG2 is my choice for Best Game Ever

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Best game series is Tekken...best game? Whichever the latest competitive version of Tekken is out...at the moment, its Tekken 5 : Dark Resurrection...when PS3 comes out, its Tekken 6...and so on and so forth...

19. annelid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

System Shock

20. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Fallout. It outranks BG2 by the fact that it's system was actually COMPLETED when the game was released, and I prefer the SPECIAL system much more than BG2s stat and class system.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.