1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Games due for a remake...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sir Belisarius, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't know about you, but I'd love to see a turn-based squad level game like X-Com re-made with todays graphics!!!

Any games you'd like to see updated?

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Most if not all of them I'd rather play as they were, except the processor clock issues. I miss my old Pac-man, Digger (Dig Dug), Eagle's Nest, Grand Prix Circuit and a couple of others I played back in the XT time. Games had a feel back then.

I miss my Dune 2 moments, too. But I've got over Colonisation and a couple other games from a later time. Perhaps a remake of Dune 1? Dune 2 could use a little tweak to deal with the conventional memory requirement and make it run swiftly under Windows XP. Which my brother probably achieved some time ago, anyway. I saw him playing it in a window.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Angband. :shake:

Any of the Gold Box games. Just the graphics, no messing with the story or classes or any cr*p like that! :nono:

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I don't want a remake of X-Com, I want a freakin' sequel. It's been how long since Apocalypse?

On that note, I want to see Jagged Alliance 3 sometime in the next decade as well.

And where's Harpoon 4?

5. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Master of Magic.

6. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

ADOM :grin:
    Hack :grin:
    Rogue :grin:
    Dungeon Master

7. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I would mention the old text adventure games like Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Adventure or Planetfall, but only if you played them without graphics first. It's like seeing a movie before you read the book, it ruins the experiance. :nono:
    I wouldn't mind seeing an update of the old Ultima's, though. :heh:

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Many of the old Ultimas have been updated. Though it really depends on your definition of "update". In the case of Ultima 2 it goes from 4 colours to 16 :lol:

Considering companies today don't even think about making sequels (or keep cancelling them - LucasArts anyone?) for oldies, there's not a chance in the world we'll ever see any of them remade. Fan-made remakes tend to be quite good, since they usually don't touch the storyline.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Frogger. With smart ass comments from the Frog, (voiced by Jerry Seinfeld) and more up to date cars on that busy motorway.

10. edorien Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

X-coms had 2 sequels in the past 3 years

UFO : Aftermath
    UFO : Aftershock

(First X-com game ==> UFO : Enemy Unknown

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    "First X-com game ==> UFO : Enemy Unknown"

I think that was the UK name for the first X-Com. I still have the original box and my version is called "X-Com: UFO Defense."

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    UFO: Aftermath and Aftershock, AFAIK, are not actual sequels. They're self described "spiritual successors", but they lack A: the license and B: the original developers (who are currently maintaining Laser Squad: Nemesis).

And from what I've heard, they also lack compelling gameplay.

13. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Uhhh, do you guys not know
    They are making a new X-Com its called UFO extraterrestrials
    Here is the site
    IIRC There is also a bit of a section on Gamespot

The release date is in Feburary 2006 (its been put back a few times)

I would quite like to see a remake of dungeon Keeper or something simular!

14. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Warhammer: Shadow of the horned rat...not only was that game impossible when I could play it, it was lame graphics.

A warning to all who post here...If I see Final Fantasy VII mentioned once here...I'll...I'll...do something terrible :almostmad: :D

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    That's not a new X-Com game either. It rips off the concept, certainly, but that's no guarantee of quality.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 + extra content = BG Trilogy. More content, same style with more detail, deeper mechanics, smarter AI, wider soundscape... It would be so neat. And pigs would fly. :shake:

Another game I would really like to see updated is Alpha Centauri; the best civ game ever. Somehow that sci-fi atmosphere just hit the spot, whereas those other civs have been about those traditional and slightly uninteresting wars.

17. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Death Rally. I love the game, can't make it work right on XP. New cars, more tracks...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.