1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

strategy games sought

Discussion in 'Playground' started by nightwood, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

IIRC Homeworld series have real-time combat.
    I'll suggest Master of Magic, , XCOM (three parts - check Apocalypse !), Mission Force Cyberstorm.

2. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

who-hooo, thanks a lot dudes and dudettes, what a nice and heavy load of replies ... much more than i'll be able to give a try in the next weeks.

anyhow, there's no reason not to check out all the abandonware-oldies (and i've already given anacreon and masters of orion a shot - quite nice)
    and one of our german pc-magazines had a copy of heroes of mm 4 included lately.

guess i'll just start playing now and will give you a notice about which games got their hooks on me.

3. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Okay, the UFO or X-com 1-3, whatever you wanna call them are among my favourites. Blasting the living crap out of an Aquatoid with a guided Disruptor Pulse Launcher has a certain appeal.
    And Heroes of Might and Magic, of course. Goes without saying.

4. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Just to warn you, some of the suggestions here have been Real Time Strategy. They are very good games, and perhaps they will change your mind about RTS, but just so you know.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Lords of the Realm 1 & 2 were both pretty good games. They're a bit tougher than some of the other ones mentioned.

If you can find a copy, King's Bounty is a very good game but I'm not sure if it would be classified as a strategy game or not.

6. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@eric - yup, i realise that some suggestions are rts. i also have some rts-games at home (age of empires, cossacks, war craft 2) ; problem is, i very much dislike the stages of those games when all you do is micromanage your one and a half gazillion military units. i consider this less strategy then a point'n'click test.

7. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

SMAC - IMO the best TBS ever made.

8. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Add on Alien Crossfire too of course.

Respect Provost Zakharov.

9. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Another game I would recommend would be Gemfire. Do not listen to the review given, as it truly is a good game.

10. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Ehh, I played Gemfire years ago and I think that it deserves a pretty bad review. Everyone deserves their own likes and dislikes, but "truly is a good game" is a pretty bold statement.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.