1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pet your Wookies, Polish Your Sabers...Jedi Acadamy is HERE!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Death Rabbit, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Just got it last night and can't put it down. If you are any kind of Star Wars fan, and you enjoy first-person shooters, this game just rocks. Design your own Jedi. :eek: Design your own light saber. :eek: Kick major dark side boo-tay (or join it!). :cool: Fun fun. Don't wait for it to hit a bargain bin.

:tie: :thumb: :tie:

2. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I already ordered it, I should recieve it any day now. :D

:tie:

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Not so much design, as choose. There's all kind of different hilts. Like, 7 or 8. And you get to pick a different style, later, as well as choose between dual sabers or dual-blade saber. Be patient.

Also, keep in mind the game is *ohhhhhhh* so much better when you type in that stuff I was talking about. It's not really a cheat; it's just a little realism toggle. More realistic, saber-wise.

The only thing I might add in here is Force Absorb. Max out on it, as soon as possible. Later on, you go up against a bunch of Sith guys, and they will tend to push/pull you off very high catwalks. Force Absorb makes you immune to this monkey business, saves you a lot of cussing and reloading, and gives you some force power back when they try anything. It doesn't help you through the first quarter, but by Yoda's Drinking Buddy, it helps you all through the three quarters of the game like nothing else.

After Absorb, pick and choose you your heart's delight.

4. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Emi, lusi, amaui. :)

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I would so much like to have a lightsabre in real life. It's beyond me it's sabre and not sword which it essentially is. Sabre is single-edged and curved. Single edged straight but asymmetric sword is also called sabre sometimes.

I also like StarWars quotes. It's funny because I speak English almost the same as Obi-Wan. My name is Luke, I look a bit like Young Skywalker when my hair is longer. And, well, my syntax resembles that of Yoda. It's because of all that fantasy, Shakespeare and 19th century literature.

[ September 23, 2003, 22:53: Message edited by: chevalier ]

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Good game. Last time I even bought a game was around a year ago I think, or more. The first 1/3:rd of this game should present an example to every FPS in the future in how you should plan the map and plot. Obviously the developers learned from Outcast. Well worth the 50€ I had to pay for it.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What was wrong with Outcast? I thought it was great.

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

It was, it was very good. Just that Academy was even better. The most notable flaws in Outcast afterall (such as sucky map design, lack of acrobatics, singleplayer lag, not-so-good-mod support, etc) have been fixed.

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yeah, but as much as I love this game, I do have a few small complaints. First, the outdoor areas do look a bit too fake in the later stages of the game. They seem rushed and underthought. Still great, but I was a little disappointed. Plus, the ending was just downright lame, IMHO. Yes, I've already beaten it I'm halfway through again already in "Jedi Knight" mode. But the Jedi force power system, the customization options, the acrobatics, the awesome combat styles...all perk it up quite a bit.

Oh yeah - and speaking of me beating it allready....IT'S TOO DAMN SHORT!! :mad: Or at least it seemed short. There's only like 14 levels. Sounds like a lot, but some of them are really short.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

**SPOILERS COMING FOR THOSE WHO'VE NOT PLAYED THE FULL GAME THROUGH YET**

14? Wasn't it 17? Well whatever, could be mistaken.

The things I'm most disappointed with are:

-The variation in the maps is limited to the first half of the game (there it's simply an ingenious work). After that they all become the same tech-labyrinth with slightly different textures. Because of this, I wouldn't say the game is too short. It's actually too long because the end gets far too repetitive. With similar maps as in the beginning, I could've played thrice as long. I'm talking about maps like the high-speed train in the city, or the sandworms, or the swoop-bikes, or hoth, etc. They really made the game feel perfect on my first time playing it. Whoever designed those deserves a metal for best map designing in any FPS to date.

-The "rpg" elements, though strong with the first time through, get rather lame when you're playing for the third time (yes, I've actually wasted all of my free time into playing the game through twice now, for both good and evil side). As you've no real freedom of choice save in the second-last map. The talk about how you can "change" the last few maps of the game is bull. All you can change is wether you're be fighting with the Jedi against the dark force users, or against both of them on your own. Nothing else is changed save the ending boss and the actual ending of the game (which though good, is too short). I would've wished more difference between the two choices, and better yet, more maps after the choice has been made.

-Concerning the same matter as above. It was said that your pick of force powers would affect the end of the game. But it doesn't. Wether you're completely on the light or on the dark side, you're still given the same dialogues and that same choice. This sucks, because my fully dark Jedi would never have been the puss up to that point that the dialogues let understand in the game. Neither would my light side Jedi ever had given the chance for the incredible anger to rise within (full light side forces and but one or two forcepoints spent on the dark side because no more light force powers could be selected) before the choice was given.

Oh yeah, ejsmith, I have to give my thanks to you. What I mean is here. I'm now playing my third time through. In Jedi Master difficulty, and with those options enabled for the first time. The game is considerably more fun as somehow the realistic nature gives far more immersiveness to each of the maps. Just browse to the end of the page to a post by "Forashi".

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's almost too harsh to enable all those hack n' slash variables. I mean, I played Soldier of Fortune2, and it was very disturbing on the first level. It takes a little getting used to.

There's something about still hearing screaming with a head, two arms, torso, and legs in very un-anatomical positions. Like, one meter apart kind of positions. I still think that one time I rolled in and chopped with dual sabers, I removed the wampa's penis before anything else; I've no idea why that area was made to be damage-prone.

Anyways, if you really had a light saber, and there were EVIL PEOPLE trying to kill you, you'd want it that way. Just a trail of bodies and people hunting for the exit. Overall, it's just a tweak over Jedi Outcast; but damn Lucasarts for making it such an extra-ordinary tweak.

On a related side note, now that I've played Academy, I can't think of a single game that WOULDN'T be better with a lightsaber. Kid Icarus, Metal Gear, Zelda64, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate2, Planescape: Torment, Thief.

Just parachute in 6 Jedi, and give them a week to sort the whole mess out.

12. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

By the way, what's the new cheat for dismemberments?

They removed G_saberrealisticcombat 1 from Outcast.

13. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Check the link I put up in my previous post.

14. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

Alright, thanks :)

15. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

This is one of those games that are kinda good that I don't consider worthy of buying. Why? Well, I only played the demo, but the moment I started the game I even said out loud: "It's the same as JK2". That's really the problem, overall it's the same game with new lightsabers, forcepowers and levels, feels more like an expansion than a new game if you ask me.

16. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I remember for JO, a mod came out that added all most of the new moves that this new game has. So it is nothing new for me.

17. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I found a command (g_saberpickupabledroppedsabers 1) that's supposed to allow you to pick up the lightsabers dropped by people you kill, but it doesn't seem to work. Anyone else tried it?

18. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I've got it now and my brother and I are ready to tackle it. My question though is, due to the design of the game, is it possible to play two different characters through the game at once? For example, my brother plays the first five missions and goes on. Then I can start those missions without disrupting his saves or his course through the game, right?

19. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Umm, not really. The game saves just like JK2 and Half Life. All saves are sequential and added to a list. It's not like you can start a savegame called "Big B" and your brother can start one called "Brother O' B" and play seperate games ala the BG series, Diablo, etc. The game only holds about 100 saves, so it's possible, but difficult the way it's set up. You just have to keep track of where you left off, and search through the list by missions.

20. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

We did it successfully. Once you complete the first tier missions and move on to tier two, a new player can start tier one without messing either game up. One player just has to stay one tier ahead of the other throughout the game.

What characters have people been playing? My first character is a Rodian Male with an orange saber first and a green one second. I have a Zabrak female planned out for my next go around.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.