1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

advice requested

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by thupple, Feb 3, 2001.

1. thupple Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I am trying to build a party for my first time through, and I am racked with indecision, because I don't know who to keep and who to boot.

Part of my problem is I create a lot of my own characters, and then I just fall in love with them. Let's face it, there are much more compelling portraits to be found out here than in the game itself, and being a visual person, this is part of my problem. (Can you use the editor, by the way, to change the NPC portraits in the game?)

But I don't want to lose the fun of NPCs, especially since they have obviously been so much more carefully scripted in BG2. It obvious I am going to have to play this twice (once Good, once Evil) just to get most of the nuances out of it. (oooo, just don't throw me in that br'er patch, br'er fox :rolleyes: )

Could I just get the reactions of people who are further in the game (I am like in Ch 2 here) to these various combinations of folks? Unless there is something I am just not expecting about combat and etc in the later stages of the game, I don't want to give up my bard if I don't have to...and that leaves me only 4 NPC slots, ultimately, though I know I have some time to try and buy while in the big city.

Okay, first 3 possible "Good" parties:
    -----------------------
    Cavalier Paladin - Alex
    Minsc
    Anomen (why is the only love interest for girls in this game such a PUTZ?!?!?)
    Jan Jansen (is he as cool as he looks? certainly has mad skills!)
    Aerie
    Jester Bard - Krystal (this is the one in question)Chaotic Neutral, Half-Elf, 16/17/6/18/18/18 (100% pickpocket, %100+ Lore, knocks 4 points off hit rolls of all enemies while she is playing...whoof, and that is a kit! oh and she can cast spells, too :cool: and I don't even have her running on all eight yet)
    -----------------------------
    Alex
    Minsc
    Anomen
    Nalia (seems to be most like Imoen?)
    Aerie
    Krystal
    -----------------------------
    Alex
    Minsc
    Anomen
    Mazzy - (would have to dual her to a thief)
    Aerie
    Krystal (could dual her to a thief, but she is a half-elf, so that would mean using an editor...i think)
    ----------------------------

and 1 "Evil" party:
    ------------------------------
    Chaotic Evil Guy/Kensai/Monk/not created yet!
    Viconia (would BE her, but hey, can't be a drow, and what is up with that, anyway???)
    Korgan
    Jan Jansen
    Edwin
    Krystal (my bard)

I appreciate any comments anybody has...thanks :)

2. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The game favours good parties, so first time through you might want to start with just that.
    You don#t have to start with hte final assembly, use some NPCs only for their quests.

Minsc has no own quests (that I heard of), he's just a noisy bugger (with a good byte).
    Nalia has one good one you don't want to miss.
    Korgan's quest might be interesting for a bard (not too many bard specific items in the game).
    Mazzy isn't half bad, just push up her strenght during fights. Great with bows.

3. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Can't dual Mazzy to a thief. First, she's a halfling, second, she's lawful good. Kensai or monks can't be chaotic. And finally, bards can't dual. Looks like Shadowkeeper to me :p.

4. Rekesalat Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You don't have to be chaotic to be evil....
    A kensai can be lawful evil and (maybe) neutral evil.

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The only thing I would like to add is about your good party. Jan is a great NPC, however, I don't think he is a great permanent party addition. He is a very good thief, even though such a thing is not needed in the game. His problems are his mage skills. He tops out at level 6 spells, so if you take him all the way through, you miss out on a lot of good spells. My advice: keep him until you rescue Imoen. When you have a chance to take her into your party, dump Jan for her. Her thieving skills look weak at first, admitedly, but by the time you get her, you should have the right thieving skill enhancing equipment to help her out. Just start the sequence of quest that lead to her rescue before you top 700,000 exp. Don't worry as the side quests will still be there when you return. Those side quests that you save will allow you to get her experience in line with your experience points by games end.

6. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

yes you can change the protraits of the NPC's. I have changed both Aerie's and Imoen's portrait in my party. I used shadowkeeper to do it, you can do it without shadowkeeper.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.