1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

main man

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Punkindrublic, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] i was wondering since im starting the game again what class would seem best for the protaganist...u just gotta love familiers i can't see any real use in them but still . is a monk worth being what about the other clsses and are there any paladin npcs in the game

2. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Paladins: Keldorn rocks, but only with gauntlets of Dex.

3. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

so ure saying i should be a paladin

4. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

No, i'm saying there's an NPC paladin... because you asked:

"are there any paladin npcs in the game"

5. StormRider Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The best Main Cha depends on your playing style. Monks are ok, just be prepared for a hard ass game until like LvL 15 or so. After LvL 15, monks are walking death. Mage/Sorcerer is my personal favorite. The familure may not have any particular purpose but a Mage is powerful. Also not that good until higher levels. I personally think that the best think you could do would be to sit down and determine how you like to play. Do you like to be stealthy....if so then theif.bard or Ranger(they have stealth too :D) If you want to be in the back and beat the shit out of your opponents from affar, then Archer(Theif, fighter or anything that can use a bow), or a mage. Do you want to be a Tank??Come on you know you do. The be a fighter or a paliden...maybe even a barbarian. Monks kinda fall into tank cat I guess....not sure. I hate that they cant use armor at all. So it is up to your style. hope it helps.

6. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Fairley obvious advice but - it depends what you want to get out of the game and where you interests lie. It's also a good idea to think about which NPCs you want in your party. If there are any skill gaps, use your character to make up the difference.

In my case I was a Cleric (priest of Lathandeer) first time through and enjoyed it. This filled a gap because I didn't take Viconia and didn't like Anomen. I also found the range of spells combined with good fighting ability (with magical belts, gautkets, etc) made for a powerful and flexible character. However, most people seem to think Clerics are boring. Second Time I've gone for a Sorcerer. Choosing 'Stoneskin' as one of his starting spells has helped him to avoid the frequeny early deaths that Mage characters in BG1 suffer. There also seem to be a lot of interesting wizard staffs in the game. Later in the game he also gets to cast some great spells and I love the flexability of the sorcerer versus a Wizard. Next time through though, I'm going to try something very different again. Maybe a Bard type as I usually avoid them, or go back to a no-brain fighter type. Anyway, any class will let you finish the game, it just means you might have to adapt your tactics. Different classes also enable you to try out some different class-specific quests.

Also ,have a look using the search facility on this forum. There have been quite a few debates about classes and you might find some interesting and different tips.

7. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

choose a class that appeals to you! like i do!

if you like the sound of a class just try it. I have... and this is where my luv of Clerics comes from... just because i decided to try it once!

also everyone should try a DC Fighter/Druid.

I tried this just for a laugh to see how good they could be... and they can be pretty nasty as tanks. I got the fighter to Lvl 10 and Dualled. It was sooooo quick to get the Druid Lvl to 11... and now the guy Dual Wields with *** stars... and ***** in scimitar. "Bleedin' hell" is about the only way to describe his combat prowess. and he can use decent armour too!

:D try it guys!

8. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Monks can use armor with 18 in Charisma u can use Keldorns plate which gives u a bonus to saving throws and free action.

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

With good armor, str bonus protection ring, fortress shield, you can receive a very low AC with Jaheira. Keldorn with the dex-gauntlets is also a very good option.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.