1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Disorder in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Morgoroth, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

2. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Holy smokes, that's pretty intense. Slightly larger photos here.

Dioxin poisoning? Is this the standard sort of thing that happens when you piss off Russia?

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Yep, he's been poisoned. It's all the word in Kiev.

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

An unhealthy amount of chauvinistic pride was sent through the TV-stations and was everywhere. And they had a very strange cerenomy at the begining of a theatre, we had to watch. They're looking forward to become the superpower they deserve to be. Combined with the rather poor ecnomical situation, I think that country has a huge problem coming.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Walesa has been to Kiev and spoke to hundreds of thousands of people. The situation was difficult, maybe even more difficult than yours. I behold your emotions and zeal and I deeply believe that you will prevail. - he made a reference to the situation in Poland 25 years ago when we were getting rid of the commie regime and he was in the lead of Solidarnosc. He left a representative there when going back to Poland.

The US, UK, Canada, Lithuania, Poland and EU institutions refuse to acknowledge Yanukovych.

More and more institutions in Kiev go under the opposition control. They control the city of Lviv (second biggest in Ukraine) as well.

Looks like there's a lot of Polish diplomats and other representatives in there, too, including one former president, one former prime minister, a couple of former ministers and the current president and president (chief mayor) of Warsaw (capital city). Our parliament already cooperates with the Ukrainian opposition after inviting Boris Tarasyuk over for a speech.

[ November 25, 2004, 22:48: Message edited by: chevalier ]

6. chevalier

Media:
    City councils in Kiev, Lviv, Luck and Ivano-Frankovsk (all big cities) refuse to acknowledge Yanukovych. The latter, however, has control of the military, special services and there's always Specnaz sent in by Putin (officially there's none, but who believes that?). The Supreme court doesn't allow the pronouncement of Yanukovych as president-elect, but it has already happened. Illegally, that is. Still, more and more soldiers, militia and special service people join the opposition, including several special service generals. The advisor to the head of special services has read a proclamation urging special services not to use force against their own nation. The head himself is silent.

But the EU plays the same game as in Munich 1938. It seems they are going to make a couple of declarations and stay away. They all feared Putin in the Hague. Even Blair and Fischer. Kwasniewski (Poland's current president) is going to show up in Kiev today. Adamkus (Lithuania's one) should also come soon.

[ November 26, 2004, 17:32: Message edited by: chevalier ]

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  8. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Looks like the supreme court has upheld the opposition complaint. With a new run-off looming, maybe the crisis will resolve. More likely it will split the country further, however, given the recent talk of seperatism... I think that is almost innevitable now.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I do not think it will go as far as to split the country. Seems like both sides have albeit reluctantly open the door for a re-election and it will be swarming with observers so the hanky panky will probably a lot less.

10. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

11. chevalier

Media:
    The Ukrainian Supreme Court has ruled that the second turn be repeated on Dec. 26th. Yushchenko is clearly leading in polls.

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31

That's good to hear, Chev.

13. Takara

Media:
    Interesting link Llandon. What was being said seems pretty intuitive. I'm quite sure that there is a lot of that going on in regards to the election. The amount of meddling that Russia did (Russian ministers at government rallies etc) was more likely born out of a desire to stop the encroachment of NATO, rather than a true desire for the imperialistic resurgence of the soviet union.

14. Heerscher Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It will be the biggest political defeat in Putin's political career so far if Joetsjenko wins the second term. Russia humiliated by the West! Particularly because Russia has always regarded Ukraine as part of its 'sphere of influence'.

I read an interesting article in the newspaper today in which the EU foreign affairs minister Bot hinted that at this point it would be very difficult to refuse Ukraine EU membership, if Joetsjenko should win. Makes you wonder if the EU has any natural border at all and where they are.

It's sad to see how the promising technocrat Putin is slipping down the path of becoming yet another failed dictator.

On topic: it would be a historical victory for the people of Ukraine if Joetsjenko succeeds and also a first rate historical performance if Ukraine manages to become a modern democracy. I truly hope they will.

EDIT: typos

[ December 07, 2004, 22:05: Message edited by: Heerscher ]

15. Takara

Media:
    I read an interesting story today. Colin Powell has had to vehemently deny any US interference in Ukraine, after Putin had a go at the west because of unwanted meddling.

I find it interesting that one meddler (Yes he made two appearances in favour of the pro-Russian) is accusing another country of doing what he was doing. And to top it all off, he is raging about how dare they?

So it's ok for Russia to meddle... but how DARE anybody else... :rolleyes:

I can understand Russia getting a bit defensive. The prospect of NATO setting up shop in their backyard cant be a pleasant thought, but less double standards please. It just comes off as pathetic.

16. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It would be foolish for Ukraine to jump from one sphere of influence to other right after the elections. They won't, and all know it. Ukraine's best bet is to build the state from scratch and create their own sphere of influence as counterbalance for internal EU for countries such as Lithuania, Latvia, Slovakia and perhaps Hungary, and an alternative for countries like Romania or Bulgaria. Same goes for Asian sphere of influence, but the attitudes are different - they would not see much profit (or market) in Ukraine as European countries will, but instead a "cub bear" alternative to the "big bear."

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But have they decided if that opposition candidate was being poisoned or not? The change in his face still freaks me out.

18. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yes, it is official. I don't have any link to foreign websites, I do my press check with two Polish portals, and if both use the same news report (it's a wonderful thing - Polish Press Agency supplies the release, and neither of them change a single word of it), it is official by me.
    It has been confirmed that Jushtshenko has been poisoned, and that the reason for that was to eliminate him - the poison delivery was precisely aimed at this point. The doctor doing the tests has not yet confirmed the type of poison used, saying that it would take additional weeks.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, it hasn't. NY Times reported it, but the doctor in Vienna denied it, saying the reporter misunderstood and misquoted him. They're still unsure whether it actually was poisoning.

20. chevalier

Media:
    They said it was poisoning and the poison was ricinum. But the next day they said they didn't know anything. Phone call from Tzar Vladimir to someone in Vienna? :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.