1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anomen's a liar!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by sorvo, Sep 11, 2001.

1. sorvo Guest

I'm in the copper coronet doing the free hendek quest and yoshimo asks anomen about adventuring. He says he killed a wyvern with a spear! I'm going to bed.

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Why is that impossible?

3. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

it isn't, is just another damn spammer trying to get their posts up.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Probably because Anomen isn't proficient with spears. Although that doesn't mean he couldn't have grabbed one lying nearby and chucked it into the heart of the beast if he was desperate.

Anyway, in the future I'd like people (like Spudsquisher) to at least wait for the person who posted originally to elaborate before calling them a "damn spammer". We don't need such hostility for no reason. Leave it to the mods to take care of the problems, if we deem that that's what they are.

[ December 28, 2003, 23:39: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

5. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Anomen can't use spears now, since he is a cleric--but remember that he dualled from a fighter. He could very well have been proficient in spears before taking up the cloth. (-:

6. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] look before you leap, spud.

7. sorvo Guest

A dual classed fighter/cleric cannot use a spear because it is not a blunt weapon! AD&D rules! I was very tired last night and should have elaborated more.

8. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Did he kill the beast before of after he dualclassed?

9. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

You didn't even try to read my post, sorvo.

Let me repeat myself. Anomen is a fighter dualled to cleric. Before he dualled to cleric, he very well MIGHT have been proficient in spears. He's not allowed to use them anymore, but that doesn't mean he wasn't in his past.

10. sorvo Guest

You might be right Tjek.I have to get the dialouge again because I think he was a cleric at that point.

11. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Don't believe a word anomen says, even if it isn't entirely impossible. He's a bit of a sneak, that man. Unfortunately, he's just about the best NPC cleric in the realms. Trust me on this one.

12. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] ABOUT THE BEST NPC CLERIC IN THE REALMS???
    WHO DARES...

I think you know whom I have in mind now, but isn't any cleric better than Anomen - with his WIS-score of 12?!

SPOILER >
    His score may be upgraded to 16 when he passes his "test" - but that is again worse than Viconia's score!

> END SPOILER

13. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Yeah, but you'll be glad to have Anomen when some big bastard with a THACO of about -23 twats your only cleric one; Im thinking Anomen has the better chance of surviving as he has LOADS of hp and only gets a few less spells than Vicky. He can use better weapons/armour than Vicky without the aid of strength enhancing stuff and thus is better in good-aligned, fighter based parties featuring the likes of Keldorn, Minsc and Mazzy. DOn't get me wrong; Vicky's great too, but Im just saying that you definately shouldnt write (sir) Anomen off.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited September 11, 2001).]

14. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Anomen is a spoiled brat and his hateful dialogue to MY party members have caused me such consternation that depending on the protagonist, I've dismissed him, silently cheered him on, cut him down in the street. One thing about Anomen, he brings out our emotions, eh?

I like playing a cleric as a protagonist so my basis of comparison of cleric abilities is somewhat shaded by that.

By the way, even if Anomen did have proficiency with spears when he was a fighter, those proficiencies wouldn't be erased when he changed class. Anomen is a liar. If the lily livered, pansy ever did see a wyvern, he probably ran like a girly man... and the wyvern impaled itself on a tree limb chasing the bastard's backside.

[This message has been edited by Subra (edited September 12, 2001).]

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG]
    Stop beeing so narrowminded. It is possible to wield a spear as a fighter even though one is not proficient in it. -1 to Thach0 is all.

Anyway I agree with Will. Anomen is a better character than Viccy. He is a stronger AND more Solid AND More attacks per round Tank than viccy (I remember Lokken calling Viccy a tank). He miss out on 2x1st 2x2nd 1x3rd 1x4th That is nothing critical at all.

Ok ok Viccy is beautifull :p

16. zantetsuken Guest

Ho, my friend, let's not get into hasty conclusions. Anomen wouldn't last a minute against a Shadow Lich now, would he? Yes, Vicky's magic resist + the other bonuses makes the magic attacks go to waste... Viconia's also got better defense... and she improves with power-ups. Also, her romance is better than Anomen's. Now, I'm not telling Anomen's not that good than Viconia. (Since I'd mostly prefer him because Viconia shines pretty much later... I am ashamed of my impatience...) :)

And on the topic on spear wielding... probably a lucky strike. Once had a battle against Balor. Guess what? Anomen got only two strikes out of the lots my fighters threw at the demon... and he got to kill it with a lucky 10 damage. Could've happened to the wyvern. Also, WHAT human couldn't use a spear?(No one) Example. Imagine yourself the normal cleric, the healer who believes not in wielding weapons that kill, all alone because a rampaging Treant slaughtered your comrades. Looking at it, you see that it's gone so weak, you could kill it with a blow. The nearest weapon, is a magically enhanced spear that could hit the Treant and a non-magical mace. You know that if it survives, it would destroy anything and everyone. What to do? Choose the lesser of the two evils, I suppose... (BTW, Imagine you're sided with a god that wants subjects to serve him...)
    It's better if everyone had the ability to bring any weapons... But there'd be a rule. For example, penalty of 4 to THACO for wielding weapons against your class and another +2 for weapons against your faith..or ethos. That would've been nice... but it's just my opinion. :)

[This message has been edited by zantetsuken (edited September 12, 2001).]

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

This stuff always comes up in NPC Vs. NPC

Cant Anomen be Improved with Magical items too? But I agree on the Magic res. And as always the NPC Vs. NPC fades out into a maze.

18. Gibben Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This would fall under the, "Things I wish I'd said at the time" file (Hmmm, maybe a new topic . . . ?), but when Anomen told me that, I wanted to say, "Your mother must be so proud . . . to find you hanging out in a slave-brothel in the slums." Or, maybe, "That's nice. Mazzy, here, just killed a dragon with a soda and some 'Pop-Rocks' -- and, she'll nibble your knee-caps, if you rub her right." Or, finally, "Greeeat, Anomen! Does your husband always let you kill the easy stuff?"

Anomen can get so cheeky . . . like "a red-cheeked maiden, my friend!"

19. zantetsuken Guest

Well... I guess I slipped on that one, Nobleman :). But to rephrase that, she improves better - probably because she starts from worst to great. Anomen starts pretty much from acceptable. Then he improves to great too. That's why I'd check on him most of the time- I need the best for my party especially in the earlier chapters. Then, if I've had my share of fighters with pitiful abilities against magic, I let Vic in. Anyways, I always have my clerics running around to help the wounded, so Anomen barely has a chance to do the fighting. By then, I'd need a cleric w/ good armor class and magic resist so he/she could survive the battle to raise the dead or go around the battle healing while being bombarded with spells. Vic's spellproof enough to be left alive... In my games, Anomen barely makes it... But that's being unfair. Well, it's my opinion anyways.

Vic or Anomen? Hmmmm... I'd choose Anomen if I were playing female and Vic if I'm playing a male NPC. That pretty much solves the dispute.

20. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] oh bloody hell this is such a shockin thread!!! this is a CLERIC who apparently killed a DRAGON with a SPEAR!! god, ppl have the right to tell stories, ya know...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.