1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you do after installing hardware?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by kuemper, Feb 16, 2007.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] The new hard drive is installed. How do you get it working so software can be installed?

BIOS does not recognize the floppy or CD drives. BIOS says either is Disabled/None in the Setup thingy. The red hard drive light is on constantly, no flickering. :confused:

Specs you might want to know:

Hard drive - Western Digital Caviar 160Gb EIDE

Motherboard - Asus A7V600-X
    (BIOS - Award Medallion BIOS 6.0)

The POST says there're no devices for primary and secondary master and slave, while the hard drive is set as primary master the CD R/W is primary slave and the regular CD is secondary master. :confused:

Last thing POST tells me:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Basically, :help: :help: :help: :help:

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Hmm.

So, how can it get BIOS showing if the cables and pins aren't lined up? Isn't this a situation where it only works if things are done right?

4. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If your hard drive (the one just installed) hasn't operative system (Windows), it won't work. So probably you have to format it first, so you will need the bootable Windows CD.
    What you did? did you just connected the HD to the Mobo? Did you desconnected something else? Is set primary?

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I took out the broken hard drive and hubby put in the new one. How do you format it before install? Do it on someone else's computer? I guess it's primary master; I don't know. I'm not fiddling with it because I broke the last one and the CPU before that.

6. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In the BIOS settings, you have to set up the boot order, so guessing that you have the Windows install disk, you have to set so the first boot device is the DVD drive, then HD. Put the Windows install disk, reboot, and the DVD should boot the PC, then you'll have the options to format and all the Windows stuff.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

How do you get BIOS to recognize a CD drive? The pair I have are either Disabled or None in BIOS; there's no option to turn them on.

I am computer stupid and my hubby only knows a lot about software. The guy I usually beg to do this left town and there's only so much you can understand through an email.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Odd. you did not tamper with any of the dvd/cd drives? They are still connected as thy where?
    is the Hard drive ide or sata? (Sata small conection cable. Ide big flat connetion cable)

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

If you have them all connected correctly, including jumper settings, make sure that you did not disable any IDE controllers from the BIOS.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

EIDE

What are those?

11. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

when you look at your boot order is it like this?

Primary HDD
    Floppy
    Disabled
    Disabled
    ???

if so then you can select one of the disabled, and enable it.

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

The BIOS says something like:
    HDD
    Floppy drive [Disable/None]
    One cd drive [Disable/None]
    The other cd drive [Disable/None]

And my hubby is starting to get ideas about playing with his computer. He thinks a wire or 2 in mine might be shorted out. I'd rather he didn't because he gets very upset when he can't be on the computer. The last time we tried something that sounded plausible, I broke the CPU.

Is there a way to find out if a wire is the problem without messing up another computer?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.