1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to Recover Data on a Hard Disk Experiencing Mechanical Failure?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My Hitachi Deskstar turned 4 years old recently (about the time they die), and I'd failed to make a crucial backup. Dumb, I know. I know the data is still in tact because after I installed my new hard drive, I set the old one as the slave and was able to access it on a very limited basis. Meaning, I could transfer a few small files here and there, but larger file transfers would lock the drive up.

When this happens, I should mention, there's a clicking sound and a "blip" within the drive in a repeating pattern. Like "click, blip, click, blip, etc." That's what happened when my system failed, and after that I couldn't start up Windows. I assumed at this point that the portion of the hard drive with Windows on it was what had failed.

Now, every time I go to access the drive, it tells me "Drive /F inaccessable." A friend told me he had the exact same issue a while back, and despite the mechanical failure of the drive, he was able to use a software program to retrieve the data. He was able to recover 100% of what was lost, and we're talking 40+ gigs.

I'd like to avoid taking it to a computer store for a full recovery (because it'll cost at least $150), so any help anyone can offer here would be much appreciated.

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Ohh. A DeathStar.

Yeah, you have a as high chance losing all your data permanently as recovering it using home remedies.

Not backing up your data is stupid - and you have to pay for stupidity.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Lol, I was going to say the same thing...

When it comes to the DeathStar, Hitachi or IBM, you need to back up your stuff before each time you turn off your computer because there's no telling when the drive will fail. The fact that it lived to be 4 years old says that Hitachi at least tried to improve the DeathStar a little.

Transfer what you can, but don't count on getting much off the drive. When the DS dies, it goes fast. My old notebook drive lasted well over 3 months once it started to die...

But for the software to get your stuff back, trying going to download.com and search for "data recovery", you might find a good/free program that can do what you need. :rolling:

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks, that's...so helpful. I'm glad you took the time to respond. :rolleyes:

Thanks Kit - that's pretty much what I'm doing. I just wanted to see if anyone knew a specific program to use.

For the record - the "Deathstars" were the older IBM drives from a few years ago. Since Hitachi took them over they've fared much, much better. It was just this drive's time to die, and I hadn't backed up everything yet. Most of my important files are safe, I've just lost the last month's worth is all.

5. Xavos Infuty Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You can try some recovery software like SpinRite 6 from GRC at www.grc.com. I haven't personally tested this solution, however. And it will also cost you $89 USD and the time needed for it to get there. Though hopefully you've found a solution now that it's been a few weeks, though.

6. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Did you try putting it in the freezer for about 30 mins?

It has helped a lot of people get that all important last backup from a dying disk.

(Bag it up first and work fast once you take it out)

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    DR This may help:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2005159,00.asp

I have an old IBM Deskstar running in an Intel 500Mhz box, which I built in 1999. It is now my 4 year old daughter's computer, and the HD is still running.

So is stating the obvious...

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Deathstars are notorious bag of surprises - the one in your daughter's computer can run for many years to come - or break down in a split second. Better keep a backup close, just in case.

My bro's old laptop - the one I used to get on the web via Hot spots - had a Deathstar, and it broke up yesterday. It didn't even experienced mechanical failure - it worked great, then one day, boom, it just stopped working. Fortunatly, I kept a laptop Western Digital just in case something like that happened.

Never trust a Deathstar with your data - unless you like risks.

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, I had an IBM Deskstar 60GP drive in one of my older computers (P4 1.6) fail on me a few years back, just like a Western Digital I had also, and the only Seagate I've had, which was only a year old, failed on me also.

Yes, never know when I might need those extra backups of "Bob the Builder" or "Veggie Island." ;)

10. Disciple of The Watch

No hard drive is perfect, unfortunatly... my X2 has been running a SATA Seagate 120 GB for two years now, and it's still going strong. Surprisingly, the most unkillable hard drive I ever had was a Quantum Fireball. The fetcher lasted 5 years and still works (I stopped using it when I upgraded to that !"_($*& Prescott P4). :eek: :eek: :eek:

Western Digital have improved in quality, however... but with Seagate's buyout of Maxtor, I hope this won't affect the quality of Seagate products.

But anyway, back on topic... the link that Chandos posted might actually help you. Let this be a lesson, though, never trust a Deathstar...

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Maxtors are pretty good drives. I'm running a 250GB (16MB of cache) Maxtor on my main rig, and it's a blazer...

12. Disciple of The Watch

Really? Prior to the SATA Seagate, I had an IDE Maxtor, and it died on me after six months.

When budget allows it, however, I'll be getting a 10,000 RPM Raptor for my X2. As fast as SCSI, without the headaches. :cool:

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    WD makes great drives. I have to move to an SATA 2 3.0 GB drive when I build my next PC (Core 2 Duo) within the next few months. All the Intel P965 mainboards I have seen only support one IDE controller. So, I will have to upgrade the HD from EIDE to SATA 2. It will probably have to be a Seagate cuda or WD...

14. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The problem IBM disk drives were only two specific models, the 60GXP and the 75GXP. All other IBM models have a very good reputation. I have two 60's (not GXP model), two 120's and two 250's. All have seen years of abuse by me and still run fine. My games are installed on the two 60's in a raid configuration, so they get a lot of use.

See here for some more info:
    http://www.trilithium.com/johan/2005/04/deskstar-75gxp/

15. Disciple of The Watch

Looks good, dude... I'd swap the Intel processor for an AMD, but I'm an AMD sellout. As for IDE, remember it's now considered legacy. Barracudas are awesome drives, my own machine has a 120 GB Barracuda. But back on IDE, it's just a matter of time before it's completly removed - optical drives are also coming to SATA.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I don't really want to get off the topic of hard drives - BUT - you must be the only one on the planet at the moment who would want anything other than a desktop Core 2 - well, there might be one or two others somewhere...Core 2 rocks!!!!!

17. Disciple of The Watch

*shrugs* So I've heard. But I am an AMD faithful ever since I got my X2. My relationship with Intel was... rocky and unpleasent.

But back on hard drives, the Raptors are truly beauties... this baby can reach a whopping 10,000 RPM, imagine using those in a RAID configuration... :love:

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You won't say that when you find out that the new Core 2 CPU from Intel is 30% faster than AMD's fastest chip (the Athlon 64 FX-62), and it's waaaaay more efficient. :thumb:

Back on to the subject of hard drives...IMO Seagate makes the best drives. My brother-in-law has had a 10GB Seagate HDD in his old computer for over 5 years, and when he bought a new computer, he turned that drive in to an external drive that he take with him to work and to school...and it still works after all these years.

Seagate's new perpendicular recording technology is going to be able to squeeze a *lot* more data on today's current HDDs. 1TB in a single drive is just around the corner. :D :rolling:

19. Disciple of The Watch

*shrugs* I don't give a flying f*** if the Core Duo 2 is xxxxx% faster, consumes xxxxx% less electricity and is xxxxxx% less noisy, I will *NEVER* buy another Intel in my entire life. Intel is overpriced junk and I hate them with all my soul. I might be surrounded by Intel fans... but I will stick to what I believe in, no matter what.

But back on hard drives... I'm stashing dough for a Raptor. :D :D :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.