1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is there a BG 3?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Jaguar, Mar 21, 2004.

1. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I imagine in 10 years time if BG3 hasn't shown up, people will still be talking about it. The people writing current drivel like TOEE ought to take a look at these boards from time to time and realise that if they *did* bring out BG3 they'd be onto a colossal money spinner, irrespective of the quality of the game.

Surely the fact that the last game in the series came out 4 years ago and yet people still show an interest in a new game indicates that BG3 is always going to be a far more popular choice than, say, NWN2 or TOEE3.

2. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

David if you feel so strongly about it perhaps you could consider sending an E-mail or letter to the person in charge of these development companies and see if they give a **** (I highly doubt it) about what the small minority of dedicated D&D and BGII fans think.

3. david w Gems: 19/31

I doubt they give a **** myself. And I also doubt the guy who came up with the idea of turning TOEE into the bugfest it became would listen to reason anyway.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

We will never see any Baldur's Gate games other then this ****ty HackNSlash on consoles. However, there will be better games, there has to be. Time to let this one go I think.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A BG3 will be released on the PC sooner or later, that's a no-brainer. The name's way too valuable to waste by not producing any more games with it.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Especially since Interplay has just won the rights to publish another BG game on PC from Atari...

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ah, the power of brands -what the people needs, they deliver. :rolleyes: Just imagine; "Atari" was dead just a few years ago, before Infogrames bought it. Next, EA buys "Baldur's Gate" and makes a sequel called "Medal of Honor: Assault to Baldur's Gate." :shake:

8. Lethis. Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think if there was any hope of BG3 it probably died along with Black Isle, even if they did create a BG3 they probably mess it up - and anyways, It just seems right the way it ended in ToB where could they go from there? :heh:

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] They could make a "Return to Baldur's Gate" similar to IWD2 revisiting many of the haunts from the original IWD game, just many years later. I'd want it to start out at 1st level anyway...

But I agree, most companies are out for the quick hits these days - Put something together shoddily (Are you listening Atari?!? (TOEE)), then move on to the next pile o' crap!

That's what made BG so great, they took their time and crafted a nice product.

10. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Too right Sir Belisarius!
    As much as i would hate to see a BG3 made just for the sake of branding it, the hope that it would happen has always been with me. Like you all said, there is no better game series!

Lethis - In terms of where could it go, i think there could be some interesting ways to interpret a continuation. ToB did end it *quite* definitively, but there are possibilities still, in my humble opinion. I mean think about a BG3 where you (A God), fight amoungst other Gods. I mean i'm sure there are gona be some other Gods' who won't be too pleased about an offspring of Bhaal assuming the throne again. So it could be you fighting against all the Gods' who wish to stop your full assention. And you could defend your throne from the likes of Cyric (Because you know he'd be milling around somwhere waiting to stab you in the back).
    I think that could be quite cool. Just my most humble opinion though...

11. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, it didn't end the saga *that* definetively, there are other bhaalspawn out there in the Forgotten Realms, and ideally, the new BG would focus on someone else, but it would be cool if you could import your char for a cameo appearance, like drizzt in chapter 6 of SoA.

Perhaps your character could visit Waterdeep or Icewind Dale? There are a lot of great ideas out there for the new series, and it would be stupid to let the francise die while there are still intresting concepts. How many titles were squeezed out of the Gold Box series?

12. david w Gems: 19/31

Providing BG3 was good enough, it wouldn't even have to have much of a link to the first two games. And I wouldn't like to see it as a continuation of BG3 with the same characters because whether you become a God or remain mortal, you're still incredibly powerful and wielding lots of uber-powerful weapons.

Another game along the lines of BG1 with a few references to the original games thrown in for good measure would be much more preferable to 40th level characters with an array of +6 weapons duking it out with the Gods.

Of course, if BG3 ever comes around it'll more likely be a rushed effort riddled with bugs in the same way that TOEE is. Afterwards, people will wish it had never come out.

13. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

They had an article about this about 2/3 of the way down ths page
    http//www.gamespot.com/all/news_6087254.html

14. casey Gems: 15/31

"This page cannot be displayed"

Are you joking Stu? if this is meant to be an April fools joke you're a day too late I'm afraid :)

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Stu may have meant to link to this instead (2/3 of the way down).

16. casey Gems: 15/31

Well I'm guessing that these quotes more or less settle it.

So even IF they make a BG 3 the only thing that will have anything in common with BG 2 is the title :rolleyes:

What are rumors? fact, or wild assumptions which only grow more unlikely as time passes, with maybe a 5% chance at best of been true? my wager is on the latter.

Well I suppose this more or less decides it then unless by some extremly unlikley and insane possibility, that this is a set up to throw everyone off a BG/Fallout 3 sequel (probably a bad idea in any case) then I don't see any possible chance that there will be a sequel, in fact it's probably more likley to see it as a mod before an actual retail game.

17. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmm...I hate to bring this up again, but I just found something at GameBanshee.
    It mentions (with no details though :mad: ) both BGIII and NWN2... here.
    And on that page there's a link to here (about 1/2 way down the page).
    It also hints at a new game in the Forgotten Realms...Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone.

18. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just noticed the news on the front page so it would seem that something might be coming up. But what's weird is that it was an ATARI guy posting it and I believe that the license for BG is in interplay's hands. Also they just discussed that there's no NWN2 in development or any thoughts on this yet.

19. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Haven't thought much about it until today. Atari has got a really strange censoring directive. I mean, above and really askew from anything that is relgious (which I would expect). tToEE kind of made me wonder, but I was reading through the manual today, and everything just pieced together.

Honestly, I hope that Atari doesn't ever release a game with the Baldur's Gate license. Or the X-Com license.

Hopefully, Interplay still has some common sense.

20. Philonious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If ATARI is doing BG3, could they simply be publishing the Interplay game. ie. In order to resolve the legal issues Iplay and ATARI decided to work together to the benefit of both companies, they could both stand to make a profit rather than have iplay with an already started game on the shelf. Or else it may just be some kind of a sick joke.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.