1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Interesting character builds

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Death Rabbit, Apr 30, 2007.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Only by trolling through threads. I would looking for something along the lines of what Bioware had for the original game.

like these.

I wonder if I you can use NWN builds in NWN2? Is there a significant difference?

I ask, as I still haven't even opened the box yet.

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

a few of the feats has changed and some more has been added, but mainly the builds from nwn works in nwn 2.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, as a result of my "Cleric Builds" thread, I'm playing my first Warpriest build, the "Paragon of Virtue" build. It's a ton of fun.

Aasimar
    Cleric of Lathander
    Domains: Sun & Evil

My Wis and Cha are both set to 16 (17 for wis at level 4), and I'm amazed at how many enemies are turnable! I floored nearly every Bladeling I came across, and I made a b-line for the graveyard in chapter 1, which was of course a cakewalk now. I can't wait till she gets up to higher levels.

The only downside seems to be her domain spells, which are a little lame compared to other domains (searing light is not as fun as it was in NWN1 for some reason) but the kickass turning certainly makes up for it. I'm anxious to see how well the turning works once I start encountering higher level outsiders.

I thought about adding 2 levels of Paladin (to get Martial weapons and Divine Protection) but I decided against it. I'd rather get my Warpriest levels sooner and focus on that. In the end, it'll likely be Warpriest 6 / Cleric 14.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    For the fun of it I created a new character yesterday and leveled it out in the 'Hall of Training' module. The character is quite straightforward:

Caleb Gruff, sellsword

Race human, alignment evil, deity: Waukeen :shake:
    Stats:

STR15
    DEX13
    CON14
    INT13
    WIS8
    CHA14

Remarks: INT13 because a fighter class can't handle that many skillpoints at the start, and you only get 'able learner' after level one; it's the first stat I spend a bonus on, to make the best of the available skill points. WIS8 because such a char needs one weakness to compensate for its strengths.

Level progressing is very straightforward, in that order:

6 levels fighter (able learner, WF flail, dodge, mobility, spring attack, expertise, whirlwind attack)
    7 levels weapon master (power attack, cleave, improved crit, power crit)
    7 levels assassin (etc.)
    Originally I thought of a Blackquard. But the turn undead ability is attractive only in a cleric-blackguard build.... :idea: Used differently the class sucks due to the -3 class level turn undead penalty, and that on a fighter based multiclass character :rolleyes: and because of all the ballast it has (like 'create undead'.... wtf is that good for? Only slows a fighter down.). Blackguard leaves me unimpressed as a prestige class for fighters. Assassin is way more interesting for my playing style, in principle that is. As I know me, if I am going to play this char, I suspect I end up picking rogue levels instead of assassin because I can't stomach being evil and my char's alignment has at level 13 probably turned to good anyway :shake:

Flail as a weapon choice may seem odd, but it is one of the few good looking weapons in the game, and 1d8 weapon damage in the end, with 17-20 crit range and triple damage is decent and absolutely sufficient, it makes the char less overpowered. It's a pity one cannot create the Sword of Gith as a flail. Char has high intimidate, bluff, taunt skills which helps a lot with the story line, decent listen, spot, hide, move silent, tumble, use magic item skills.

5. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've played the game all the way through with a couple of classes now. The first time I went through the game (up until Chapter 2) with a solid Druid. I decided that I'd botched my character, and started the game again.

I played all the way through as a Druid (Human [My favourite core PnP class), and, I don't know about anyone else, but I breezed through the game. But, then again, spellcasters usually do.

The next time I played through the game, I went through as a Fighter (x) / Rogue (x), netting the Able Learner Feat. This build gives you plenty of feats, and plenty of skills, you can talk, you can open locks and disarm traps, and you can fight reasonably well. And you don't really have to worry about fiddly things like spells.
    ...Anyway, my favoured tactic with my F/R was to stealth behind someone, and Sneak Attack with my Greatsword - yes, a Greatsword. Did a ridiculous amount of damage. Take Monkey Grip for extra fun.

It should be noted that I don't really like PrCs. Not even in PnP. I know it gimps me a li'l bit. But that's okay. It's my choice. Just for fun, call your Fighter/Rogue 'Bruce Wayne'... ;)

Then, just for fun, I went through the game with a Fighter (4) / Bard (1) / RDD (10) / FB (x). This seems to be the standard melee power-game build.

Chev posted a bunch of good builds. But, when it all comes down to it. The OC really is pretty easy and you can win it with a Half-Orc Sorcerer if you wanted to...I got to Chapter II and got bored since it was my fourth run through the game in a row...

6. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I'm taking advantage of what appears to be the ease of the OC to make a cleric/mage. They've always been favourites of mine, but they tend not to fit too well in the 3/3.5 ruleset. My character is a sun elf with the healing and sun domains, 18 intelligence, 14 wisdom and 14 charisma. I'm looking to take him to 9 cleric/11 wizard so that I get heal spells and some decent mage stuff. He'll be a decent healer and support caster, hopefully not suffering too much from split levels thanks to spellcasting prodigy/practiced spellcaster feats. He wont be the greatest nuker in the world, but he'll have a tonne of handy spells and awesome crafting abilities. He's also investing in the diplomacy skill to be the party's negotiator and leader.

I'll see how it goes and hopefully will take him into Mask of the Betrayer where I'll take him to higher levels of magedom. He ain't going to be spectacular, but he'll be enjoyable. :)

EDIT: Made him human for the extra feat. Loving the cleric class, and am sorely tempted just to keep him as that :/ We shall see if my old school character concept fails at the first hurdle!

[ July 16, 2007, 22:48: Message edited by: Will ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.