1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Learning how to play the piano late

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kenixkil, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Okay, so I had piano lessons until I was in 5th grade, when I stopped. But now I want to try to learn it again. The thing that's bothering me is that I'm older now, and I heard that you have to start young to be good at the piano. Also, I never could stretch very well; I think my hands are a little small. Is there any hope of me getting good at it?

2. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I don't see why not. You may have to work at it harder since you are older, but there's no reason you can't still be good.
    As for hand/finger flexibility, I'm sure your piano instructor could show you exercises to increase said flexibility. If you are self learning the piano, a gym instructor or doctor can help with the exercises, too.

3. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

There's always hope. And even if you don't get to virtuoso concerto pianist level, it's still fun to play an instrument, which is the most important thing.

Small hands are not a problem, unless you're looking to play some trills that are an octave wide. Generally things like small hands are a pet excuse for people who don't want to do the hard work and practice, and not a real hindrance.

Of course it should be noted that I'm not a pianist but a guitar player, and not a classical one at that.

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

As long as you have the patience to learn. The beginning is always the most boring, because you have to learn the basics, and practise drills.

If there's a particular song that you want to learn to play, then it's just a matter of practising over and over. For most of the simple songs that aren't that technical (like some pop songs or movie themes arranged for piano), you can probably get away with this style of learning and skip the drills. But if you want decent skills in general to play something moderately difficult, then you'll need the basic techniques and theory. You'll still have to take time and repeat any particular song several times to learn it, but you'll be able to handle the manuevers more efficiently.

5. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

This is a very late reply, but I have a friend who teaches piano and she has several adult beginners who are having a great time learning. Learning on your own, I don't know about.

6. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I didn't see this thread before so I am late also but here is my two cents worth.....you are never to old to do something you enjoy or learn a new skill.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.