1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Opinions on Jaheira

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Beren, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Offhand, it seems to me that Jaheira is one of those NPCs whom you either love with a passion, or hate to the point of wanting to Implode, Disintegrate, and Imprison her all at once. There does not seem to be any in-between.

For my part, she is my favourite NPC. Besides being one hot ravishing chick, she is also really powerful if you know all the tricks to using her.

Anyway, I'm soliciting opinions on her. It would be nice to know that I'm not alone in my admiration of her. Contrary opinions are also welcome, if they're kept civil to a degree.

[ December 05, 2002, 19:49: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] i didn't really care one way or another about her :p
    although any time she got petrified then restored she would run back to the harpers kinda pissed me off

3. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Jaheira is one of those characters that I find very useful in a party. Her druidic spells are a combination of offense and defence, and her fighter class lets her wear heavy armour and has a good THAC0 from it. Her stats are also in the 'good' range IMO although she could do with a WIS boost which I always try to find her.

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Jaheira was with Minsc one of the most difficult to let go of. Because of the bugs in her romance though she is all but a useless bug in the game now. But before I found out about them, she was a common member in about every party. Only irreplaceable member I know of is Imoen. Even my neutral evil character always loved her as his sister.

How many find Jaheira's Russian accent disturbing btw? I never really cared one way or another about that, but many of my friends dislike it.

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

She is very useful. Good fighter, good spellcaster. I usually give her a good sling and have her sit back and babysit the mages. When needed, she can step up to the front line.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I agree with funk, very good druid spells, shapeshifting is a killer, romance isn't that interesting though. It's like 70 times 'I'll have to think about that', 'hmmm, let's go on' after a while it's like make up your mind woman.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Jaheira's a very solid character; next to Viconia, she probably has the best capabilities for best AC; +3 to AC by Dexterity, and she can don heavy armor and wield heavy shields, unlike straight druids. Furthermore, she has a good number of hit points, being a Fighter/Druid with 17 Constitution. Of course, she's not much of a meat shield (and shouldn't be meant to be one) compared to that half-orc Barbarian, but she still makes a good fighter all-around. If you want both a good combat figure and a person who can afford to heal wounds, cast support spells, as well as use powerful offensive spells (think Flame Blade, Insect Plague, and Flame Strike), Jaheria's your gal. But some players might prefer a straight spellcaster or fighter. In that case, I suggest Cernd as a Druid, who's not to shabby biting and clawing as a werewolf; Viconia also makes an excellent Cleric as well. For a fighter, Minsc works well, as does Anomen (more of a combat-direction person, IMHO), or Keldorn or Korgan (depending on your party's alignment).

All in all, Jaheira works well, and is an interesting and dynamic player both for gameplaying and plot. Pick her up; she can be a haughty half-elf, but she's worth the trouble.

8. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

She's the best druid NPC in the game, and quite a bit less annoying than the other one, not to mention she can actually hit something and tanks pretty well with the right equipment.

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I hate her. Sure, she might be good if she was a fighter or a druid, but not both! Plus she is to weak to do anything well, to annoying, she's a halfbreed, and how can anyone stand that butt ugly face she has?

10. Klonz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I agree with reepnorp. Worthless and ugly!! Just a bad combo.

11. Jim Babwe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I am not a fan of her because she is just too damn high maintenance. She was always taking off, expecting me to follow her or change my priorities at the most un-opportune time. I realize that this aspect of her character is part of the game plot, but I would rather do her quests on my time, rather than have her take off and force my hand just to keep her, and all the equipment I gave her in the party. Otherwise, I found her to be pretty middle of the road in battle.

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

My first time through the game, I was comparing her fighting skills with Minsc, so I thought she sucked. Even though I know now that the comparison is unfair, that first impression of her still sticks in my mind. So it's more my doing than her's, but still I think she isn't very good.

13. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Jaheira is an interesting character but not good enough to compete with many other NPC's.

Multiclass is very bad in BG2:SoA.
    Jaheira maxes out at Fig-13/Dru-13 while her primary competitors for the healer spot in the party, Viconia (max at Cle-21) and Anomen (max at Fig-7/Cle-20), have greater potential.

She can't compete for a fighter spot either because her fighting skills are not comparable to the dedicated fighters like Keldorn, Valygar, Korgan etc.

I have had her along in several of my parties but only because of the "romance".

14. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

OK, I can see a lot of people think 'she doesn't fight as good as as X' or her spell casting abilities aren't as good as Y' or that her tendancy to run off and expect you to follow can be annoying (but then Nalia being kidnapped does the same for me). The point is that any multi class character is the same. Their skills aren't as good as a characters who only has one class, but their advantage is they have skills from both classes. She might now hit as good as a warrior class but she can cast druidic spells. Her spell level might not be as high as Viconia's or get as many spell's, but her spell's differ and she isn't just the medic of the party which is what a lot of people use clerics for. Her spell's might not be as offensive as a mages, but all round it is good combination. Just a pity about her romance bugs, but you don't actually have to romance her, and there is ways round it.

15. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I Agree with everybody that's said something good about her. I love Jaheira, she's a great NPC!!!
    And I like the romance too.

16. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I hate her. In BG2 I leave her in the cell, in BG I make Khalid kill her.

17. Earl Grey

[​IMG]
    If you aren't using Jaheira as "just the medic" then why should you use Anomen or Viconia like that?
    I have never used clerics as "just medics" and would never include one in my party if that was their primary function. To me healing is far down on the list of useful activities for a cleric.

Base THAC0 for a few characters at the xp cap:
    Fig-13/Dru-13 (ex Jaheira) --- THAC0 8
    Cleric 20 (ex Anomen) --- THAC0 8
    Fighter 19 (ex Korgan) --- THAC0 2
    Note that Fig-13/Dru-13 do not have any better base THAC0 than a Cle-20!

Number of Spells castable/day:
    Dru-13: 5th - 2, 6th - 2, 7th - 0
    Cle-20: 5th - 7, 6th - 5, 7th - 2

[ December 07, 2002, 02:27: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

18. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

I don't actually use them 'just the medic', just pointing out that a lot of people I have talked to do with their large supply of healing spell's. And yes, the THAC0 is the same, and the higher level cleric (obviously) has more spell's. My point was that the fighter/druid posses abilities that the cleric doesn't and vice versa. I was also highlighting differences between them as well.

19. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Which abilities does a mc Fig-13/Dru-13 have that a Cleric-21 doesn't?

20. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] She's just not worth it. I was hesitant at first to drop her, but after I did and placed other characters in my party, not one NPC was as weak or as annoying as her.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.