1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

US-made Cars suck....

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, Nov 29, 2006.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

My parents had a new Impala not too long ago, and I can't say it was a pleasant experience. It had a great price and good comfort, but the fact that it had continious problems didn't really fly too well with my parents. In the end we traded it in for a Toyota Camry, which is quite the quality vehicle.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, the typical speed here in Texas is between 80-90 mph on major freeways, although the speed limit is posted mostly at 70 mph. I'm sure in Cali it's quite high as well. I've owned only American and Japanese cars, and have had good and bad luck with American cars (I could care less what Consumer Reports has to say; they have an opinion like anyone else). I had a Saturn SC2, which was a joy to drive and ran pretty well; but I had a Camero Z28 which was a piece of junk amd a Trans Am which gave me a few problems, but nothing major.

My wife's Honda Accord has been a great car, even though she treats it like a rolling trash can on wheels and she has taken horrible care of it. Nevertheless, she has 175,000 miles on it and it still runs fairly well. Next year, at some point, we will replace it with her next victim (no telling what that unfortunate thing will be).

My Eclipse was designed in Cali, and built in Indiana. Yet, it is a Mitzu (didn't they build Zeroes in WWII?), which hardly makes it a Japenese product considering it was mostly desinged and built in the US. It has been the most trouble free car I have owned. At 85000 miles, I will probably have it another 5 years.

On balance I would have to say that I've been more impressed with "Japanese" cars, more so than anything else I've owned. But I've never owned anything English (I've heard you have to have a spare - one to drive while the other is in the shop).

[ December 01, 2006, 07:40: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Cheeky! Some of the worlds best cars are British. Ever heard of Aston Martin? ;)

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's already happening. Chances are, if you're living in the U.S., and you've purchased a Toyota or Honda in the last 5 years, it was built in the U.S. Granted, all of the robotics equipment used to build the cars is still manufactured in Japan, but the workers in the plants where the cars are actually assembled are Americans.

And it makes perfect sense that they would open plants here. It's not like Japan is some back-water 3rd world country. They have a similar standard of living and wages as most Americans. It is only logical that it is cheaper to build the cars sold to the United States in the United States, rather than building them at the approximate same cost in Japan, and then having to pay for them to get shipped across the Pacific Ocean.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There are auto plants for most if not all the major auto manufacturers in Canada too although we still import certain models.

Almost all of the VWs sold in Canada are produced in Mexico.

6. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

most reliable car in the world, Mecedes. hands down. the reason why, is i have a cousin who is a mechanic, he bought an old mercedes for his second car/work car, his wife lend it and accidently drove it intothe ocean, she parked on a mole and forgot the handbreak. He got the car pulled out of the ocean and let it dry. now this car had been completely subduede in saltwater and was allready an old car. Yet as soon as it was dry, with no parts having to be replaced except for one or two wires, the car was able to drive normally again.
    it does make a lot more noise then it used to and the saltwater has made it rust a lot, but any car that can handle being covered in saltwater and still be able to drive afterwords is a good car :)

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    While I agree that Mercedes are great cars, I find it strange that you use "submerged in salt water" as a benchmark to measure this. While I will agree that it is surprising that any car can be driven after being underwater, the only thing that this proves is that a Mercedes might be a good pick if you have a realistic expectation of having your car go into the ocean. As that's not a typical qualification when selecting a car, it doesn't do much to convince many people.

8. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yep yep, it's happening. They're assembled locally, but it's still a shared venture. Japanese parts and equipment, American assembly. Unlike VWs, which begin their life as a pile of metal in central america, and the only German thing about them is the accent of the dude in some ads. When every Canadian Civic starts rolling off the conveyor in Oshawa without having its engines and transmission flown in from Japan, their quality will drop. That's what I meant.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    No, but the name sounds familiar. What's so good about them?

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Not to mention the fact that all the American car companies look like they are on the brink of going out of business anyway.

I have owned 7 cars in my life and none of them have been American. There must be some reason why nobody in NZ imports American cars. It's only Asian and European cars here. Well, there are Fords, but they are Australian Fords (which are effectively rebadged Mazdas), not American Fords.

11. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Awesome to have a car post on the gaming forum. I'm used to looking at game posts on car forums! I'll add my 2 cents.

Yes, old Mercedes rock. I drive an 84 300D turbo diesel as a daily driver. Has 260K miles on it, starts everyday, even if it doesn't necessarily like the cold. They ride smooth and although slow around town make good highway cruisers. I wouldn't buy a new Benz though. Check the consumer reports file on the worst cars for reported problems and you'll see like 4/10 are Benz.

British cars are in general pieces of crap. This is coming from someone who has owned three and still has one. You gotta love them though, you just don't love them because they are reliable, you love them because they are the most beautiful cars made.

American cars are on the upswing. I'm looking to lease a new car soon, maybe even tomorrow if it works out right. I'm looking at a Jetta or GTi. I don't even think about american cars when I consider my options. American car makers just don't make cars that I like or would be interested in, save for maybe the Ford Focus SVT which was a nice little car. I'd love a new Vette but it just isnt in te cards right now. I don't pay much attention to Japanese cars either, just not enough soul to them. Nonetheless, american car makers are working very hard to change things and have been for some time. Only time will tell if they succeed.

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Get the Jetta. I love mine. I wish I could afford to gave one of the new '07 models...but what can you do?

Didn't Ford and GMC just go to bed together? Or is that still in the talking stages? :rolling:

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Chandos: James Bond drives them :p

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When it's not with Q for repairs.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Touché Bruno, touché.

I still say that Aston Martin Vanquish's and TVR Tuscan's (amongst other models) are amongst the worlds most attractive cars. Just look at the style and class. That's what the British are about, discrete class and quality :thumb:

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    World's most attractive cars? I'll take a Bugatti EB110
    However, the 2006 Bugatti Veyron is as sexy as it is powerful. With a horsepower rating of 1001, a W16 engine, and 4 turbos, it doesn't get much more powerfull either. :love:

But in more pratical terms, I love BMWs. The 2005 BMW 3 series is my favorite body style. I just wish I could afford one. :( :rolling:

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Nah, they're too flash ;)

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know... it tough to compete with the elegant style of the AMC Gremlin....

19. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I really prefer my cars not looking like spaceships, Kit. :p

I have to agree that British car have a very classy image and they are indeed classy, but do the British make any cars for normal people to afford or is it all just luxury?

20. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Toyota Yaris.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.