1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Russian way to deal with DRAGONS

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Masta Dee, Oct 8, 2000.

1. Masta Dee Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well guys, I dunno if it's really late to post something on this subj, but maybe someone will find this tactics useful.

The easiest way to kill the dragon is to have at least one spellcaster with a Cloud Kill spells (about 3). Step at the point closest to the dragon while remain unseen by the beast. Cast your Cloud Kill to poison the beast. During your 3rd spell, rush with your fighters to kick his ass to prevent him using the healing spells on himself. By the time you'll hit him by your sword he'll be Badly Injured or even Near Death. Even if none of your hits succeed, the Cloud Kill will do its job and kill the dragon. So Loot his treasure and heal your fighters from spell effects. It works really well with the first two dragons in the game. Good luck!

Dragon scale armor rulez!!! ;)

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

That's the lamest way of killing him and in no way am I going to kill any dragon using the fog of war tactic, or exploit if that is what you want to call it.

Killing a Dragon should be done the proper way, reducing its magical resistance, having front line fighters going toe to toe with them, protective spells, bless spells, anything you can think of to give them a boost.

The cloud kill 3x or 6x is cheap and not worthy of any respect!

Syl...

3. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I read some of the earlier posts mentioning this method as well. It appears to be very popular and has a growing following.

I have killed two of the dragons thus far (read there are 4 or 5?) and have not used any method cept one fighter, one mage, one cleric and one thief. The other characters stay outta harms way!

It's obvious that some think killing Dragons is either too hard in BG2 or the other extreme -too easy. I believe the Dragons are rather solid in BG2. They are not meant to be 'undefeatable', only the true mythilogical status Dragons should be 'near undefeatable' for mortal characters. But in line with the BG1 & BG2 theme, our main character is somewhat a 'demi-god'. So I have no qualms about fighting Dragons at 12th level and above in this RPG (and still remain true to RPG's!)

4. Masta Dee Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Syl,

What's the difference between a pack of spiders, a goblin horde and a single Dragon? Just the size and toughness. You're not ashamed to kill a dozen of lesser monsters with Fireball, but you say the one shouldn't use such things on Dragon. Why's that? You can tell that the Dragons are kinda sacred thing to the whole genre of RPGs, esp. for D&D. Yes, but you MUST tell this to BioWare guys too. And they MUST make them as real Dragons, not these ordinary Dragon-like monsters.

I can agree with ya that by killing some Dragons with just the Cloud Kill spells you can't get respect from anyone. But I can't vote on your suggestion that it's the way of the lamer. Developers from BioWare gave me the tools to kick monster's ass. These tools are quite different and it's up to me to chose the proper tool for each goal. Yes, i think that Dragon must be nearly undefeatable. It's by the book and it's interesting. But I think if they gave us the opportunity to kill someone, we gotta try it no matter what people say. What kind of magic protection the beast has, if he suffers so bad from my simple spells? Why should I tell myself - Yo, Dee, you surely CAN kill the beast at least in three different ways, but you MUST NOT use this way and that way, but only THAT particular way? I think if they'd like to see us just hacking and slaying them, they'd make the beasts totally immune to any spell damage. Think about it. Or the next thing you'll say will be sumthing like - "Stop them magic weapons users! It's laming and cheating and all! You gotta kill them all with your bare hands and mundane swords, coz it's fair as I think it is!"

If you already got my point, you see that I'm not using any hex editors, I do not hack programs to make my life a bit easier. I never use cheats in any game for all my long life. Coz THAT'S the lamest way, as you call it. But here we have a different situation. In any TSR books such situation might look like a matter of cunning and creativity, but not a lamer's way of life. Plus, when I used this tactics on a bunch of vampires they were smart enough to rush at me even if I wasn't visible to them from their starting point. What's up with Dragons? Are they blind and deaf and dumb, no matter how talkative are they? What I'm trying to say is - Give me a REAL D&D DRAGON, and I will find another way to defeat him. Make him indestructible, and I'll fall in battle.

My best regards to noble friend,
    Masta Dee from Russia

5. Woo-Fu Gems: 1/31

He isn't complaining about cloudkill specifically.

He is complaining about using cloudkill AND the fog of war bug. Most characters that want to initiate conversation can be killed with area attack spells by leaving them 'under the fog' without having to worry about them attacking you.

6. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I don't use exploits nor will I ever to kill a beast, or beasts all in one shot. Why would I waste a fireball on a bunch of Spiders or "lesser" monsters? What a waste of a spell, and my time. My fighters can cut two, three "lesser" monsters in half, and after awhile, they all turn yellow and run.

Just walk in and fight the Red Dragon, don't sit back using the fog of war tactic, which is an exploit in its own and claim you're a dragon killer. Go up there and start swinging away if he's not a "real dragon". If he wasn't so deadly, you wouldn't be using this Cloudkill method to kill them.

Syl...

7. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

But damn: how do you KILL that bloody monster?
    Took out my entire party before I could count to 10

8. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I only have a Sorcerer in my party and I killed a dragon by casting lower resistance 4 times and then I casted Finger of Death. Pretty easy if you ask me, although his damn firebreath deals a lot of damage.

9. Masta Dee Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Hey Syl mah man, do you EVER use attacking spells on anybody? And if you DO, then WHY if your fighters can cut anyone in halves like you said, huh? It makes no sense to me at all.

Plus I said it's the easiest way to kill them. The beast looks pretty cool so it's a real fun to kill him not only once but many times. This included straight forward assault tactics too. But I still think there's nothing wrong with killing the beast with any fog of war or whatever coz I can't see WHY NOT.

Vile said he uses the Finger of Death spell. What about it then?

Yo, I never call myself a Dragon Slayer, I'm just a Dragon Killer. And it's a different thing. ;) C'mon don't put hold nose way too high. And here's a question: If I'm gonna walk this game thru with only the spellcasting characters, how should I deal with the beast, huh?

10. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Err, may I volunteer that some people may object to this tactic not because it kills the dragon so easily, but because unlike other creatures a dragon that wants to initiate dialog will wait until it sees you.

You've only exploited a loophole in the programme design.

I think it's okay though, after all, it's your game and you can enjoy it any way you want.

But maybe you'd feel more satisfied if you really earned the kill?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.