1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Guarded Compound (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Boozer, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Boozer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] does any1 know how to defeat the baddies at the Guarded Compound(using a multiplayer warband)? its a pretty hard fight, if you would agree...

PS at what point in the game (ie level/chapter)?

2. Mirkwood Guest

Yes, it's a pretty hard fight.

Tactics...

1. Cast True Sight before heading up, there is a thief who seems to have an infinite number of invisibility potions and deliberately targets your mage or other weak party member.

2. Ignore the traps, don't walk over them though!, just walk around them. You'll waste valuable time if you try and disarm them.

3. Keep away from the guy with the glowing katana ;)

4. Cast Chaotic Commands or have some Remove Fear/Remove Paralysis/Dispel Magic/etc. spells ready since some of your team will get scoobied (feared, stunned, whatever) and will most likely start running over the traps... ah well, they'll be disarmed at least :)

The cheatin' method... lure them downstairs, quickly run away, then fire Cloudkill from offscreen (won't work if you have ToB installed).

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I actually beated that party in 5 min. And I know just the spells that will work :)
    I attacked them before spellhold, but after a lot of the quests.

My spellcasters
    Edwin
    Haer'Dalis
    Jan

before you go upstairs, you cast invisibility 10' so they won't see you when you get. When you're up there, stay still, and prepare what spells to cast. First you should cast:
    Greater Malison with Jan
    Web with haer'dalis
    Cloudkill with edwin

next spellcasting
    web with jan
    cloudkill with edwin
    confusion from haer'dalis' harp

after this, it shouldn't really matter what you do, just throw in another web, cloudkill and fireball or something ;) just to hasten the process, and then some more fireballs :p

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 27, 2001).]

4. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

cast horror, confusion, emotion, wand of fear etc with all available chars and enjoy the massacre :)

5. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

True Sight is definitely a must. After you go up, disarming the traps can be a good idea; you stumble over them too easily, otherwise. Pick a missile weapon with quick rate of fire (a bow, preferably), and hit the spellcasters as early and often as possible, and they will not get to make your life miserable. :D

6. Auger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The only strategy I employed was to go after the cleric that stays in the south west corner with a hasted character (in my case, a kensai). If you don't he repeatedly casts group heal, which makes it much harder for everyone else.

Also, if you have the Domination staff from the Mind Flayer lair, it can be a cake walk. Just dominate the guy with the cool looking katana... :cool:

7. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Use all kinds of disabling spells and slaughter. And watch out for the traps.

8. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i had Aerie and casting lots of hold spells, while Anomen summoned some Mountain Bears... sat and waited for Koshi (guy with katanas) and as he got close, cast loose at him with another hold spell. Got minsc to smash his face in, and tried to deal with the mage.

The most annoying enemy of this group is Ketta (that annoying Thief). I dealt with her by Casting True Sight, that stopped her, and bashed her ass with Valygar.

As long as you can deal with Koshi, the mage and Ketta, the others are easy to get rid of. Casting a few Chaotic Commands spells before leaping in can also help a lot. :D

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

At first, they wasted my group. Then I went to a strategy that was very effective in BG1.

I hit them with web first. Then let my tanks have at them while the spellcasters stayed back (with Jaheira guarding them) and did their thing.

10. Sir Phaapylon Gems: 1/31

Veteran

I didnt have any difficulties with the upper floor (the first floor is another story though). Thsi was the first thing i did after getting out of Irenicus dungeon.

My tactic was:

Cast Insect Plague, Web, Stink Cloud and a couple of fireballs. Horror and Greather Malison works fine. Then just hammer them with all kinds of missile weapons and Magic Missiles etc. Just dont go out in the room because you might step on some of those nasty traps.

11. Kalten Gems: 1/31

Obviously there are several tactics. Insect swarn is nice but I am still a fan of the tried and true summoned monster. Go up the northeast staircase so you are closer to the mage and farther from the other fighers. As soon as you get in, summon a spider near the mage on the east side of the screen and another summon beyound the fighter that are coming your way (this one should go after the cleric). This will pin down your spell casters and maybe distract the fighters. The second wave of spells should be holds or confusion aimed at the fighters. During this have your theif disarm the traps and your tanks can start bashing. Leave one tank behind to deal with the theif that likes to sneak up on your mage.

I typically wait and do the compound just before going to spellhold. It is not to hard if you have some higher level spells.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

disarm the traps with your thief

then if you can, try to disrupt the enemy cleric/mage with hold, miscast magic or summon insects

or you can summon skeletons to harry the spellcasters instead

once they are taken out (preferably before they cast confusion) the rest is just hack and slash

13. TGM Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

T use to attack the Slave Lords very early in the game, right after I got 6 party members. My strategy looks like:

-right before you go upstairs, cast Haste on all party members, or drink Oil of speed. Cast several protection spells on them(Stoneskin, Barkskin, Mirror Image, etc.) and drink all the potions that make your fighters better;
    -here comes the tricky part: with your thief(hopefully you have Yoshimo, not Nalia - she won't do) start Detecting Traps. Now if you position your thief backside(he must be the last, when you go up the stairs), then he won't stop detecting traps as usual, and will find them in 1-2 seconds after you appear on the 2. floor;
    -as mentioned above, in the first round start fireing Horror, Chaos, Confusion). Perhaps you can give a try to the Web and Entangle spells, but they will make diffuculties in movement later for you as well;
    -start fireing arrows(Acid arrows do wonders here, bus some before you come around) at the wizard, even if he manages to use Stoneskin, he will be distrupted by the acid, and won't be able to cast Dispel magic and Chaos/Confusion on your party(these are the first spells he will throw at you);
    -by this time you should quickly disarm the two traps, and now you can scatter your party;
    -if you do not have True sight, then the Assasin can be a true pain in the arse, so here is another method, how to kill her: use one of your(mirror imaged) mage as a bait, and whan she becomes visible, throw all your spells at her at once(Magic arrow, Doom, Slow, Fire/Acid arrow, Command, Hold person, etc.) and she will not live too long. She has 58 hp.
    -concentrate all your forces on Koshi the Kensai with the Katanas, he can be really mean with all that stun effect;

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.