1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Old weapons, never die

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Nobleman, May 22, 2001.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I just got some inspiration from Grovflab about old weapons.

What he says is that once You use a weapon You get accustomed to that specific weapon. One learns to balance it right. Learns its specific "moment of inertia" sorry getting tecnical here. :rolleyes: In short the weapon gets to be a part of him as time goes.
    Perhaps One could have a seperate Xp-counter for his/hers different weapons of use during Hers/his career.(I know this could get comlicated to look at)
    At certain xp-points he gets an extra +1,+1 to damage (not gaining abilities beyond hitting normal creatures and NOT creatures only struck by magical weapons) or faster weaponspeed etc. or something else. A special attack or defence since we are already literally drowning in "to hit" and "dmg" bonusses.
    This shouldn't be hard for a computer to keep track of since this is only numbers related to a specific weapons. It could be fun too. HAving an old rusty longsword. But boy can he make some stunts with it. :)
    Perhaps stunning an opponent. The Ideas are endless.
    Do You have a say on this?
    This might only be possible on computerRPG since it would be nearly impossibly to keep track of as a human. A neat feature though :)

2. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Isnt that part of the 2nd edition kensai rules? My memory's a little rusty but i recall seeing something like that for the rules for the kensai kit here on this site.

3. Lothar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think that such is the principal behind the proficiency system. As you use a weapon often, you slowly build up different levels of mastery. I think the bonuses are for exactly those reasons, you get really good at swinging a war hammer right, ...

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

That is true. But my idea was about the PC's favorite weapons getting some advantages. Not if the Kensei-kit has special that are similar. Of course that kit can be used as an inspiration.

5. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

do u mean like.. we have to stick to only one weapon? like if my character uses the Lilarcor a lot... he would not be as good using a different sword.. say the Sword of Chaos?

6. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My point was, that if you have being using the same sword all your life, you wouldn't just throw it away, because you found this new shiny blade.

Imagine telling your grandchildren, when they ask about that sword hanging over the fire, that you just found it on the way home from your latest quest.

7. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Oh yeah, I most definetely agree. great heroes are supposed to get attatched to weapons, leave them as heirlooms, name them etc. Heck, Aaragorn even kept his sword when it was broken.
    "Arthur, darling, where's Excalibur"
    "Oh, that piece of junk, I sold it because it was only +3 and I found one which was +4, you don't mid do you, Guinevere?"

8. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

That's (one reason) why the roman legions rolled over all their enemies. They had (high quality) standard weapons. If yours broke you took the next which had the same weight and balance.

9. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think that anything which encourages continuity, in weapons, armour, companions etc., is good. However, there might be problems with quests because part of the attraction is getting new stuff. I dunno.

10. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I think people would have tended to pick up better weapons when they found them. Aragorn's sword wasn't just any old broken sword - it was the heirloom of his house, broken in the battle to end the last Age. Before it was reforged, he would have used a normal weapon. In fact, most of the characters of the Fellowship in LOTR pick up their primary weapons en route:
    Gandalf: Gets Glamdring from the Troll lair in The Hobbit
    Aragorn: Uses Anduril after the Elves reforge it
    Frodo: Given Sting by Bilbo in Rivendell
    Sam, Merry, Pippin: Take swords from the Barrows
    Legolas: Given bow by Galadriel in Lorien
    Gimli, Boromir: keep their own weapons
    Presumably any good (well-forged) weapon is going to be properly balanced, so you should be able to swap weapons of a particular type without spending too much time getting used to them. More primitive cultures might make weapons that aren't all equal, and there might be a penalty to learn to use a "proper" weapon if you've got used to a poorly balanced one.
    The Romans had the advantage of well-forged weapons, generally of higher quality than their enemies'; but just as important would have been their strong discipline (battles are really won by making the enemy run away, not by killing them), and well-forged armour. Armour does need to fit a person more individually, and the best is forged to fit a particular person, but that's another topic entirely.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.