1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPC go bye-bye

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Gibben, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Gibben Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It seems I've misplaced Cernd; well, not so much misplaced him, as he's disappeared, as I knew exactly where he was going -- I've fetched him from the Grove before in previous games, and that is where he was bringing his baby when last I saw him. He's not carrying anything that would make him invisible (Imoen has the Staff of Magi), though just to be sure, I Oracled and Invisibility Detected the Grove.

This happened once before, to Yoshimo, in a previous game (I had left him in the Mithrest, and said, "No, just stay here" (along with 4 others) instead of allowing him to go to the Copper), but I simply reasoned that I was getting too close to beginning Chapter 4 and he decided to . . . wander off. Now, I'm not so sure.

I searched the archives extensively, but was able to find no mention of this type of problem, despite searching for "NPC" and each of the following: lost, find, locate, missing, and disappear; however, I'd be surprised if I were the only one to ever experience this, having now experienced it twice.

I should mention that I recently installed ToB, though am still playing SoA, and Yoshi disappeared long before I ever owned ToB (and, am not missing any other characters that I abandoned long ago in this game). I've certainly noticed a number of other changes in SoA since installing ToB (Mirror Cloak altered, no exp. for killing certain demons/devils (at least, Glabrezus and gated Pit Fiends), one CAN go back to Brynnlaw after killing Bodhi by talking with Aran again, etc.), but that's probably a post for a separate topic.

I certainly don't need Cernd, I'm just a bit at a loss that he's . . . lost. Besides, I haven't found any way to disperse milk cartons with his likeness on the side, so I guess I'm asking -- has anyone else experienced this, and is there a way to scry his location?

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I didn't play with Cernd and also playe dno BG2 for a while, but I thought, somewhere (can't remember where anymore) Cernd has a (former) house. Ah I remember again, he lives sometimes in a house at Waukeen's Promanade, isn't it? Maybe he returned to his home.. take a look over there!

3. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Cernd can usually be found in either of two places in The Grove -- in that cave in the Northwest or almost directly east of there, about midway east-west.

If I remember correctly, he is in the cave. I think you will also find his kid is now in the cave with him.... If not, exit the cave and go looking for him just wesst of the Bridge again.

Hope that is helpful and you aren't "reporting" a bug.

<<edited for content and spelling>>

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited August 23, 2001).]

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Indeed, he might be inside the cave (if you saved his son).

A bug with inability to find NPC again WAS reported for Keldorn, but it can be overriden with setting a global variable.

There was also such report for Edwin - but in that case the problem was Staff of Magi that made Edwin invisible. Invisibility of that item is easily dispelled - if you know where you left him.

For Cernd, if he ain't anywhere - there can't be done anything.

5. Gibben Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Then, I guess, there's nothing to be done . . . thanks for the feedback!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.