1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Longbows or crossbows?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Arngor, Mar 3, 2005.

1. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i prefer longbows.they are stronger and you get a really good one in nalias keep.

2. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I prefer Shortbows. The Tuigan+1 has more attacks than any other ranged weapon(Quantity over Quality). Tansheron's Bow gives you unlimited +3 Arrows. The Gesen Bow is the most damaging bow in the game. The first two can be found early in the game.

There's not much different between Short Bows and Long Bows (since both use arrows as ammunition) except that Longbows will give bonuses to hit and damage. The damage bonus is not worth sacrificing Gesen and the Tuigan+1. And since Archer THAC0 parallels that of a Kensai's, it boils down which weapon has the better bonuses.
    At this point, it becomes a matter of preference.

As for Crossbows, there are only two Crossbows worth spending those stars in, I'm afraid. One is the Light Crossbow of Speed, and the other is the one you can get from a particular quest in the Temple District. The Great Oil Crossbow, despite the promising description, is a big disappointment.

3. Arngor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You're all talking about a bow called the "Gesen bow". What's this? I've never found it. Only the shaft. I played thorugh the game once before and I am pretty certain I looked in every single crevice and hole there is and couldn't found it.

Okay so it's settled. If I go with an elven archer I'll go with longbows. But, what If I go human? Myself I've always found crossbows to be so much cooler when I saw someone on the discovery channel put a bolt clean through a suit of platemail. When I've played through the game with previous characters It seems like I've found more crossbows than normal bows.

Mrf. I do not like the fact the highest quality bolt or arrow you can find is +2. What do I do when I encounter creatures who requires higher then that to hit? Sit and wait?

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I once found both parts of that bow but lost one of the pieces before I had a chance to stick them together.........

5. Arngor Gems: 2/31

Another thing occured to me. Many longbows require 18 strength to use, while crossbows only require 17 strength as I recall. I'm not sure though.

6. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Longbow, especially for elves!

They get a +1 thaco bonus for blades and bows. ;)

7. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In the unmodded game the only arrows or bolts that are +3 or better are those produced by Tansherons bow and the Gessen bow (which are the only +4 arrows in the game). The arrows of piercing that you might expect to be +4 are only +1 when determining what you can shoot with them.

So
    Yup :( , or wade into melee or whilst promising yourself that your next proficiency point will be in shortbows.

As to the Gessen bow string, its in spellhold.

8. Arngor Gems: 2/31

Ah. There was ONE puzzle I coucl NEVER figure out. The one with the statues with text and you have to put the correct item in the correct statue. I couldn't figure it out.

9. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Welp, I won't spoil that puzzle for you, but the Gesen bowstring isn't there. Seems there's a piece of Spellhold you missed your 1st time around.

10. Arngor Gems: 2/31

*curses* Ah hell. I guess I'll have to Take a look there myself.

On another note: wich is more usefull? Valygar or Minsc? Contemplating who I should bring to spellhold.

11. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Minsc, certainly Minsc."Go for the eyes Boo,go for the eyes!"

12. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Minsc is definately more entertaining. I'd say the choice depends on a couple of things. The first is how much you like backstabbing. As a Stalker, Valygar is quite good at it. On the other hand, Minsc with his exceptional strength is much better in a straight melee role. Another consideration is what weapons you have available, and which ones your other party members are using. For instance, in my parties, Celestial Fury is *mine*, and since that's Valygar's best choice of weapon, I tend to use Minsc, and give him Lilarcor - the number of enemies in the game that use confusion is huge, and a confused Minsc is a real danger to his friends ;)

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, yeah - if you use the CF yourself, Valygar isn't that good - but with it, he can backstab almost as well as a thief - and can really show those mages what he thinks of them :)

14. Arngor Gems: 2/31

Heh, yeah, Celestial Fury. I've seen Yoshimo make people to *splat!* from a simple backstab. Did 67 points of damage. Damm.

I forgot to mention that Minsc is lvl 13 while Valygar is lvl 9. Probably because I forgot. I will bring Minsc to spellhold. Now I need to finnish the game with my Cavalier first, then my Monk and THEN I can play my archer. I seem to have a habit of starting several characters at once.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.