1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Uncommon Hobbies - What's yours?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Foradasthar, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well I study a martial art that very few people (relatively speaking) study. That being Ving Tsun. It was the martial art that Bruce Lee studied and then developed his personal take on it into his own martial art: Jeet Kune Do. So I suppose that's pretty rare.

I also DJ. Electro, New wave electronica, Techno, House, mostly funky and Tech sub genres. You might not consider that rare, but I know very few bedroom DJ's so IMHO I think it qualifies :) So I suppose you could say I collect records too. In fact, yes, yes I do collect records.

2. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I study alot of mythology and lore (such as Roman, Norse, and Greek gods; vampire and werewolf lore). And i've made a hobby out of procrastinating.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Girls (well, I guess that one isn't that uncommon).

Like 8people, I have some Warhammer collectibles, but I probably haven't touched them in almost four years.

4. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Warhammer, a bit. History is also another favorite, mostly that of the US - I'm planning to purchase and read several textbooks before the summer is over with. Also, I decided some time ago to learn as much as possible about Joan of Arc, as she's one of the greatest heroines is history, in my opinion.

I also collect stones. Pretty much any stone that looks out of place in its surroundings.

5. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

*while Master of Nuhn isn't looking*

I'm a rabid Yu-Gi-Oh fan, which I guess sin't that uncommon at the moment, but I also collect Zoids model kits, and have shown some very limited skill in healing/energising people by laying-on-hands. For real. I actually freaked out a chick once by giving her a serious energy boost just by holding her hand and focussing. Have also helped friends with the healing of minor bruising.

Also, I have a keen interest in Native American Indian spiritualism.

6. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

:yot: I may not post much due to my crapy internet and crapy internet computer :doh: , but here it goes.

I collect and paint Warhammer, though I haven't done it in a while and it doesn't seem to be that rare anyway.

I listen to instrumental folklorish music (kinda uncommon I guess).

I plan to do archery soon, though I need to find a place to do so. I have a small yard and no basement, so those are out of the question if they would've suitable in the first place. :hmm:

And I'm trying to learn to move stealthily. Though its kinda hard to practice different things if you're not alone because you can end up looking quite stupid. Regardless, I'm quite light so that helps, and I've picked up on a few things so far. Simply paying attention to your surroundings can teach you quite a bit actually :grin: .

7. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I'm a member of the Society for Creative Anachronisms which is a Middle Ages reenactment group. We do study the history, but we concentrate more on the every day aspects of life like clothing, jewelry, the way things were made & manufactured.

I also collect My Little Pony toys, dolls, unicorn stuff, and coins.

[ July 12, 2004, 06:13: Message edited by: Stefanina ]

8. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Does juggling (balls, clubs, that sort of thing) count as uncommon?

9. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

@Stefania Is that uncommon? I thought all girls collected unicorns. All girls dig Unicorns, isn;t it?.

10. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Uncommon?. Ok, here goes...

I think insects are interesting. Especially the ones that live in a community, like ants or wasps. I have provided the humblebee with breeding places - much like a beemaster does with his bees. Quite interesting, actually, and quite unheard of. ;)

Seems like I am a veritable treehugger. Perhaps nature will one day recognize it and grant me the power of Call Lightning. Or I can use the humblebees in an Insects Plague spell. :p

[ July 12, 2004, 13:23: Message edited by: Dendri ]

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Some of my friend told me (when I started this "thing") that I was crazy...
    So, few years ago, when I started to play this games (BG; Fallout; etc.) I started to like everything about armors, swords and everything like that, in some point, I liked to watch movies of the sort just to see and compare with the games the specs of armors, etc., So, after watch Lord of the rings, I started to make a chain mail, so I searched information about how to make it and that's it, I have finished one, very nice I must add because my friends that called me crazy wanted one for them, so here I am, every once in a while, cutting... wire? (alambre en castellano), with an invention I made to make this... springs? (resortes) so I can cut the rings... anyway, that's my hobby.

12. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

I fenced for about three years, though I stopped a few years ago when schoolwork drastically increased (and because I would have had to train with the adults to get higher qualifications, and being only 13/4 I wasn't too keen).

13. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I collect Chess boards and sets.

14. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Well, I watch movies. The majority of them are foreign, which, in North America, is pretty uncommon... ;)

I also do a lot of theater. Acting, directing, stage managing, producing... And being a guy in theater is also uncommon, but being a guy in theater who is not gay, well that's just rare! :D

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I collect abandonware, i.e. old games which can't be bought in stores any more. It's a sad indicator of the state of PC games today that whenever a fit of nostalgia washes over me, I have way more fun (re)playing the oldies than any of the new games I've played in the recent years. *sigh*

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't think I have any 'strange' hobbies as such.

My saddest one (that I'm sometimes loathe to admit) is that I quite like the Stargate series. I even have a couple of series box sets. That's probably my most out of the ordinary one :p . Since the main body of my hobbies is take nup by watching and playing sport. Any and every sport.

17. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Actually, SleepleSS, I used to think so too. Most ladies may have one or two unicorn things from childhood, but very few actually collect them. Wolves seems to be a far more common collection theme...

18. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I make flash movies and draw comic books.

19. nior Gems: 24/31

@Foradasthar, I always thought that Go was a Japanese game... well I may be wrong.

My uncommon hobby is quite new, just a couple of months old, it's mountaineering.

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I do battle with medieval weapon and armour, you know two group of 25+ people facing each other and then we all jump in the melee.

Plus I do some ¨Real¨ role-playing, dressing like fantasy, role playing caracter and of course fighting other jerk err player.

Not that they are so uncommon but they aren't common either.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.