1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Longest you have worked

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sarevok•, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I have just worked 19 days solid without a day off, my body is kind of drained big time and it ain't no office job neither :wave:

The money I have earned is amazing but finding time to spend it?

It can't be good for me.

2. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

27 days straight and it was all on night shift. It sucked royally.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I once worked 9.00am - 8.30pm 6 days a week teaching people who know nothing about computers how to word process, use Excel that kinda thing... it aint bloody easy, you wouldn't believe the stupidity of some people. That was one effin' rubbishy job! :mad:

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am currently on my 21st consecutive day of working. My next day that I am certain I will be able to take off is Saturday May 1st so that could push it to 75 consecutive days.

Last year I worked every day from March 2nd to May 2nd so that would be 62 consecutive days. In 2002 I worked 54 consecutive days.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

A friend of mine works off shore, and is always gone for 2 or three months, most of which they're out on the oceans. How's that for working non stop ? :D

Of course they have their own cabines onboard, but you can't leave the ship. You'll be stuck there untill you reach your homeport again. Of course you get to see new countries and all, but there's not much chance of exploring. Basically you're working all the time, even when you're asleep in your bunk.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    A week of 7 am - 0/1 am live translating to and from English, also some French plus some organisation, accommodation, guiding and stuff. Usually on several coffees and a piece of cake. Was 15 IIRC, or 16. And no money for that ;)

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I worked 27 of 29 days last month, averaging 16 hours per day. :eek: This is the first weekend I've had completely off in over a month.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

19 days of drilling, digging, welding, heavy lifting etc(inside/outside) try 27 days in a row of that and see how you feel afterwards ;)

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Before I started my L.L.M., I fell down on my luck and had to work in a car wash. Started off as four days a week because I took a language course during my days off. Thing was, I was also working at the Flames games for 2 to 4 evenings a week.

So my course ends, and I let it be known to the owner that I can now work five days a week. So what does he do? 6 days a week non-stop while everybody else gets 5 days a week as their only job, while he gets to sit on his behind in his office chair and go home at noon.
    Whenever I had just one day off during the week, yep, it was a Flames game. Minimum wage while were at it.

Then of course, the car wash supervisors say its all my fault why my work was going down hill. After two solid months of it I just blew my top royally. When the dust cleared, and despite several reminders that I only asked for 5 days to begin with, the owner had the gall to try and tell me "I innocently believed all along that you wanted lots of hours non-stop." Yes, how could I be so ungrateful for your benevolence?

Sorry if this post sounds whiny, but I think everybody has a few moments in their lives where they're really taken for a ride by somebody else, and need to let off some steam over it.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I generally work 6 days/week, except in the summer, when I'll take alternate weekends off. A couple of time a year, I'll work right through the weekend.

As far as most consecutive days, that would be in (I think) 1987 when I was still in public practice. I'm not entirely sure how many days in a row, but over about 3 months, I had maybe 2-3 days off. What made it worse was that it was during the summer; what was even worse still was that it was the second year that I was dating my wife; I'm amazed she ended up marrying me.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps she also worked hard and had no time to find a better candidate ;) :grin: :holy:

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I once worked a 3 full 8-hour shifts back to back, though it ended up being a big 22 hour shift (they insisted I leave at the 22 hour mark). I was working at an emergency room and I'd volunteered for one shift and assigned another. What can I say, it paid well and I was in college in a town not known for its well paying jobs. The giant sucking sound in my bank account was calling the shots.

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    My dad regularly works 9pm to 9am shifts at his job for weeks at a time. I think his record was 22 nights in a row

14. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I usually take a summer vacation job as a tree-planter, puting trees down for 0.35 swedish crowns (I think the course today is 1 usd = 7.5 sek)each. This goes on for one month, starting 7 am, to 4 pm. This is by no means a record, but it is a hard job nonetheless...

It's a tough job, but someone has to care for the forest... :rolleyes: :hippy:

15. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

This is a complain. But I don't know have to change it.

I am computer programmer. Chief of software quality assurance group. Chief database architect in a computer company making major projects for ministry of ... in our country which will be EU member (there is a relation to this).

My work consists of:
    • Analysis reviewing (with hints to analysts, many brainstorming, ...).
    • Database designing (concepts and modeling)
    • Programing concepts (db procedures C embeded SQL, help to middle tier - java, c#)
    • Programing db procedures, support utilities, ...
    • DB administration - there is a coworker who should be the main admin - but sometimes it is easier to do things by myself ... (I don't want to argue with him ... he does not want to do some things ...)
    • Stuff preparing: got a coworker - I will train him ...
    • Managing testing group (for more projects) - I got a deputy - but must train him ...
    • Now in phase of taking 10 new employees (got 23 CV's ...) - maybe my deputy will help me with this ...

Yesterday was my FIRST (full) free day in this year. The days before: more then 12 ours on computer, sometimes round around o'clock.

It was the same from october to Christmas.

It will be the same till july.

Got no time. Except sleeping, eating, driving home, driving to work. And some browsing.

It was very similar last 7 years.

(34 years old, no children, no wife)
    All started when my last girl friend left. Then one year of doing nothing. Then army service. Then ... programming.

I thing I should go home. (7:20 - 19:34 at work ... ) 12 ours again.

[EDIT]

Longest time I didn't left company area was more than 2 weeks. Meals and clothing were brought to me. Happily there are showers here.

[ March 09, 2004, 13:42: Message edited by: Quicho ]

16. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, I think the most days I've worked in a row would probably be 26 to 28, not real sure as it was (unfortunately) a long time ago - I haven'y had a job for about 7 years now. The longest stretch in one day though was 12 hours non-stop, no break even for a smoke as a 'Trolley Boy' at Christmas. Now being a Trolley Boy may not sound difficult but try it and you'll see how exhausting it can be. Oh, and at the time I was being paid $6 per hour at age 21, no overtime or time-and-a-half rates either.

17. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm amazed at you people, your stamina is incredible. I'm also horrified that such things are demanded. If I don't get at least one day a week reliably off I go cuckoo within two months.

18. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My first summer at the pizzeria war a pain.
    12 hour days, 7 days a week for 10 weeks.
    But man, did I have fun :D

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Yes, it amazed me as well I thought 19 days solid was pretty tough but obviously not.

20. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Last year I went out into the field with my unit (I serve in the German army). We were at "Stetten at the cold market" - very cold week indeed. From Saturday until Friday we exercised from 06 am to 23 pm. We were on the shooting range till midnight on Monday and Wednesday, so those were even shorter nights...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.