1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Music that you can't stand

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sarevok•, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... I can't stand rap an d hiphop, or the britney spears-style stuff... with some, rare, excweptions...

2. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Rap, hip-hop, heavy metal, boy bands and country.

Other than that, I'll listen to almost anything.

3. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmmm someone explain to me... What's the difference between 'Black Metal' 'Death Metal' 'Heavy Metal' 'Nu Metal' and 'Shiny Metal' I mean I know they're not the same but what defines 'em?
    Also After Forever Rocks! As does Evanescence and Linkin Park.

Oh and Takara the new bulk supply just came in take whatever you need, there's plenty of it. Want a hand tarring?

Lai, call me ineducate, but how much is there left that doesn't sound more or less like the things you mentioned? I mean I'm sure that there are a *few* things that escape your dislike but enlighten me towards what you'd call 'em

Music things have TooFunky names :(
    :borg:

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Well... there's loads Hugo. Prog rock, celtic, lounge... loads of styles that dont fit into those catagories.

As for the tarring... you grab the legs, I'll take the arms.

5. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hugo, seeing as I have almost 1300 songs on my computer, I'd say that there is a lot out there to listen to that isn't part of my dislike list.

6. Kartiel Darkstar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Realy all I hate is pop music, that includes the rock and punk wannbes, who dress like they will steal your wallet but probly havent even had a hard time in there life acept that daddy wouldnt let them use the credit card for a week. :evil: :flaming:

((end rant))

7. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Heavy Metal: The traditional kind of metal as it was played by Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Accept, Judas Priest and the rest great bands of this kind. Melody, guitar solos, normal vocals (in the majority of the cases at least)and lyrics about everything.

Death Metal: Perhaps the reasonable evolution of thrash metal. The father of this kind is the american group Death, who gave their name to the whole kind back in 1986 IIRC. Total absence of melody, brutal and not understandable vocals and lyrics about death, murder, cannibalism, mutilations and other gentle activities.

Black Metal: It originates from Death metal but the real fathers of this kind are the bands Venom (they can be considered the godfathers since their song "Black Metal" gave its title to the whole Kind) and Bathory. Very heavy music (but with melody sometimes), brutal vocals, satanic, occult, pagan and viking lyrics and of course tons of make-up.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Personally, I simply cannot stand love-pop where the singer is basically moaning over "love this, love that" again and again. What is the deal with it?

9. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

@Hugo and BOC: Close. Father of Death Metal is arguably the band Possessed with their 1985 debut Seven Churches. The first couple of Death's demos and their first album Scream Bloody Gore was Thrash Metal as hell.

Black Metal did not originate from Death Metal. First wave (Venom, Bathory) was way before Death. Second Wave (Mayhem, Darkthrone, Satyricon) started in the beginning of the 90's as a counter movement to Death Metal. It is rooted in Thrash, taking the style of Destruction, Sodom and Bathory to the extremes.

Death Metal vocals sound like guttural growls. Production leans towards the lower end of the frequency spectrum. Black Metal vocals are more screechy. Production favors the mids and highs over the lows. More often than not, the sound is cold and rattling. Like a frosty night in Norway. ;)

Useful information! Impress your counterpart doing metal small talk at boring parties! You'll be everybody's darling...

Nu-Metal is often used synonymously for commercially successful metal (with catchy hooklines). It started with Korn, but often Limp Bizkit, Slipknot or Linkin Park are included in this categorie. Although these bands do not have much in common. It is mark of Cain for most of the older metalheads...

PS: I can't stand Volksmusik. And Rod Steward. And Phil Collins. And The Police (:puke:). Oh, and Bryan Adams sounds like defloration on the back seat of daddy's chevy...

10. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

@Darkthrone

Yep, I forgot Possesed, you see I have never been a fan of Death or Black metal. As far as Venom are concerned, their contribution to Black metal is more spiritual than musical, since their music cannot be considered black metal. I would say that Venom were actually the forefathers of black metal. On the other hand, Bathory were the band that influenced the rest of the black metal bands both musical and spiritual. When Bathory played brutal and sung about satan and occultism, all the others followed them and did exactly the same. When Bathory decided to put melody in their music and wrote lyrics about norse mythology (with the relaese of "Hammerheart" and "Twilight of the gods"), all the norwegians and swedish black metal bands threw away their make-up, wore their helmets, raised their axes and started singing about Odin and Thor.

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I agree with BOC. Though I do not agree with Darkthrones:

"Nu-Metal is often used synonymously for commercially successful metal (with catchy hooklines)."

I would say that Clayman era 'Inflames' is much more catchy than 'korn' et al but are still described as death metal. You can sing along with most Inflames but korn you have to rap or whine along with.

Its good to see people with good taste in modern metal however I would say that 'Evanescence' and 'Linkin Park' are nowhere in the same league as 'Afterforever' or 'Nightwish'.

[ November 12, 2004, 14:44: Message edited by: Cesard ]

12. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Like I said, Cesards, the bands I named have little in common. Hence, anyone would be hard pressed to find enough similarities to build a new genre upon. What may be true for Linkin Park may be not for Korn.

The expression nu-metal is something invented by music media without proper knowledge about the thing under scrutinization.

But you're right: Nightwish is not comparable to Linkin Park or Evanescence. Nightwish sucks big time. ;)

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

We can both agree that Rod Steward and the Police are crap

14. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Rap, (with possibly exceptions to some of Eminem's stuff which actually has tunes) Hip-hop (of any description), and what is now known as R&B (but bears no resemblance to what I think of as Rhythm & Blues), Most Boy & Girl band manufactured pop crap (including Will Young, Gareth Gates etc)
    Heavy metal music which involves only grunting, shouting or screaching vocals, ususually accompanied by very little melody on the instruments. A large quantity of middle of the road populist Rock/Metal stuff such as Def Leppard, Rod Stewart, Kiss & Queen (sacrilege I know but I really can't stand them). The Scorpions (No idea what genre they actually fall into)

House/Garage/Drum & Base (Except Goldies early stuff). I do actually like some Techno, probably from some good nights clubbing at the Orbit in Leeds. However the dance music scene is so diverse that it is difficult to lump it into a single genre. Most of it overlaps into other Dance styles depending on the DJ mixing the track. With all dance/techno/house it's probably easier to say which DJ's I like rather than what genre but they mainly fall into the Techno bracket. I don't like Kraftwork who are probably the fathers of Dance and Techno.

15. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

STONE HIM! :D

Okay, you don't like Queen. But please don't use them in the same context with Def Leppard, Rod Stewart, Kiss and the Scorpions again. Please, don't. They just don't deserve that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.