1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Semi-poll: What is your musical taste

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Hugo, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

As the topic suggests: what genres of music do you like. I would have made this a poll, but there's so much music out there that I would have left too much out.
    Name the genre, or genres, along with a few artists in the genre.
    Also, recommendations are welcome. As you'll now know what I/other repliers like, and I'm eager to expand my musical collection.
    I'll start off with my own preferences:
    Alternate metal/progmetal: ATM I'm totally into Ayreon, and exploring what other material is available there. Star One also rocks.
    Other metallesque bands: Iron Maiden, Hammerfall, Arena
    Gothic: After Forever, Evanescence, Within Temptation... totally into the metalish sound with those beautiful female vocals.
    Celtic: Got Loreena McKennit recommended by a friend, and fell in love with that music. Always on the lookout for more of the same.

So... let us know what you like, what you think others might like... I look forward to hearing about it.
    :borg:

2. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Metal! All kinds of styles, it's the bands that matter.

Bands: Arch Enemy (Melodic Death Metal)
    Astarte (New-school non-satanic Black Metal)
    Barathrum (Old-school bass-driven Black Metal with Rock'n'roll influences)
    Battlelore (Fantasy Metal with Tolkien-ish lyrics)
    Children Of Bodom (Melodic Death Metal)
    Finntroll (Unplacable metal, they're too unique)
    Funeris Nocturnum (Used to be New-school Black Metal, now driven to a more Deathy sound and lyrics)
    Nightwish (Symphonic Operatic whatever Metal)
    Sinergy (Melodic Heavy-ish Metal)
    Sportlov (Black Metal)
    Stone (Thrash/Speed Metal)
    Stratovarius (Power Metal)
    Tarot (Oldschool Heavy Metal)

That's about it.

3. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Rock and hard rock of late 60s and 70s in all its forms (pure hard rock, progressive rock, psychedelic rock, southern rock etc) meaning bands like Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult, Iron Butterfly, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Emerson Lake And Palmer etc.
    Heavy/power metal of 80s ranging from N.W.O.B.H.M. to bands like Motley Crue and Twisted Sister.
    Some thrash metal bands, mostly american (Slayer, Exodus, Nuclear Assault etc), since I've never liked european thrash metal.
    Some greek folk/artistic/rock music.

These are my favorites, however I have reached a stage where I can listen almost everything (even rap and rave) without getting disturbed.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Alternative! (Athenaeum, Fuel, July for Kings, etc.)
    Some Punk (MxPx, Straylight Run, etc.)
    Mainstream Upbeat Rap (Black Eyed Peas, etc.)
    A bit of metal (Used to listen to Korn, now it's mostly Slipknot and 3 Days Grace)
    I LOATHE rave. I make a few exceptions for the really relaxing good ones though (Chicane - No Ordinary Morning, Bliss - Kissing) and I have a special place for some of the old school stuff (Liquid Child - Return of Atlantis, ATB - Too much rain over paradise) when I used to take Ecstasy :eek:
    I also listen to a lot of instrumental stuff like the songs from the Dragonheart and Last Samurai soundtracks and from the Final Fantasy games.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Gothic metal mostly, especially with female vocals. Also, I like the general idea behind doom metal, so I'll be looking into that.

Bands would be Within Temptation, Nightwish, and After Forever. With several others that I'd be interested in looking further into (Dismal Euphony (Which I've never heard, but sound good by description), Moonlight (see before), Tristania, Lacuna Coil, and probably several others)

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

A mixture of various kinds of rock - from Britrock to Hard Rock, and some metal. I'm no good at defining bands.

Mainly just stuff like Funeral for a Friend, Incubus, Muse, Inme, Lostprophets, Razorlight, Hell is for Heroes, Alkaline Trio, Feeder, Colour of Fire and the Killers.

Most of the music I like is from somewhere British for some reason.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Metal here too, mostly of the black/death variety in the European scene. American metalcore is appalling especially how many bands are ripping off the Gothenburg sound.

Current Favourites:
    Opeth
    Immortal (RIP)
    Bloodbath
    Insomnium
    Amaran
    Children of Bodom

I am also obsessed with gaming music. Some games contain some of the best music I have ever heard, and I would definitely buy the soundtrack(s) if they were to be released. Blizzard's games come to mind. Diablo/Diablo II in particular (Tristram, Rogue Encampment, Blood Moors) contain monster guitar pieces with creepy chord progression and oddball time signatures that would not look out of place on an Opeth CD.

@ Xei Win Toh
    What do you think about Astarte?

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Man, I don't even know what some of those musical genres are, let alone the artists. What on earth is "Death"? Is that really a type of MUSIC?

I listen to stuff like The Beatles, Billy Joel, Elton John, and most things from the 1980s. Modern bands who play the sort of music I might listen to include Coldplay and Travis etc. I'm also starting to build a small collection of classical music, of which I quite like Vivaldi at the moment. In addition, young Hayley Westenra's albums make pretty good listening at the moment too.

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

@ Harbourboy

Death (metal) is indeed a type of music - characterised by unearthly guttural vocals.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons is pure class. Goes with the cricket too! :)

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I dont listne to much music nowadays but when I do it is mostly singer/songwriters. Preferably older alcoholic men.

Otherwise I like music which is "good" and has "class" no matter the genre. Well, no techno related music, that is complete crap. Any moron with a computer and a crappy program can make that sheit, no talent recquired whatsoever.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hallelujah, Joacquin. I might train my 5 month old son to push the instant rhythm buttons on the "Yamaha Home Organ" and become a top-selling techno artist. Then I'll be able retire.

12. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@Tass: Astarte rocks, otherwise I wouldn't listen to them :p

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Mine is fairly eclectic. Hip hop doesn't go, rap doesn't, metal doesn't, disco doesn't, dance doesn't. The rest pretty much does.

14. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

A lot of old rock music dating from the 60s and 70s, indie rock.

Eg.
    Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Doors, David Bowie
    Sonic Youth, Pavement, Smashing Pumpkins, Interpol, The Shins

Throw in some other stuff... Ska, although I don't LIKE it, I'll still listen to it for the bass lines, mostly. Some of the new alternative music, like Cake. I don't think I can think of any bands that play music the way Cake do.

I'm also looking into some Classical music. I have some Rachmaninov, Beethoven.

Harbourboy, I'm not sure if its your scene, but check out the theme from Aemelie. It's called La Valse D'Aemelie by Yann Tiersen.

15. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Metal! All kinds including old Hardrock and Industrial.

I also like some electronic music, alternative piano music and a few punk bands.

16. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Like Harbourboy, I'm just put few names, because, imo, I may not like metal/trash or whatever it is, but some Aerosmith, Metallica, Led Zeppelling songs are nice for me; for me, is not the style but the song, where you put Faith no more? they sing rap, metal, soft and punk.
    Well, the names: Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis, ZZ Top, Elton John, Rolling Stones, Twenty 4 Seven, Mc Miker G, Enya, Rod Stewart, Tina Turner, Roxette, Billy Idol, Billy Joel, Beethoven, Mozart, Falco, Edwin Collins, Genesis... well, many, many more.

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I enjoy all genres/types of music however there are songs/artists within those genres/types that I do not like. Too many artists and songs for me to specify. I might enjoy most of an artist's work but there may be some songs of his/her/theirs that I do not like.

I don't enjoy types of music, I enjoy certain songs.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tosca, Zero7, Thievery Corporation, St.Germain, Dido, Kid Loco, Kruder & Dorfmeister, (lounge)
    Morcheeba, Massive Attack, Lamb, (Triphop)
    Herbie Hancock, New Cool Collective, Miles Davis, Zuco 103 (jazz)
    John Lee Hooker, B.B.King (blues)
    Tower of Power, Kool & the Gang, Wild Cherry, Earth Wind & Fire, (funk/soul)
    Supertramp, Alan Parsons Project, R.E.M, U2, Genesis, Coldplay, Saybia (rock and the like)
    Conjure One, Olive (thanks, DR) (electric?)

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Rock --> not really hardrock, I need a talented singer not some punk screaming his lungs out.

U2, R.E.M. Coldplay, Saybia, K's Choice, Keane, golden earring, Blof, Kane etc etc

I like Daft Punk but that's the only one in that genre.

Classic and Movie (think The Rock and Lord of the Rings)

20. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Just about anything that is neither hard rock (and derivatives) or rap/hiphop (and their derivatives). Oh yes, and no Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Blue, etc. Whatever that type of music is called.

Pretty much anything else is ok. Fell in love with Keith Jarrett and some of David Bowie's stuff. Philip Glass can be awesome when he wants. The Beatles. Queen. Late 19th and early 20th century classics: Rachmaninov, Stravinsky, Holst. Stockhausen, Kurt Weil, Shoenberg and Parmegiani (though these 2 can be hard to take after a while). Ikuta School and Geinoh Yamashirogumi. And a few others I can't think of right now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.