1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Conscription

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Morgoroth, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Where else did you assume the money came from? Out of a magical hat? In any case in New Zealand I'm sure conscription does not make sense but it's a bit different here being neighbour to Russia.

@Wirhe

Did not know about them not paying the rent. I think they obviously should do that. The financial situation is pretty much the same for those in military service too. I did loose money during the service time and I was not exactly spending tons of money during the service time either.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Both Guard and Reserve units have been deployed to Iraq over the past few years. Am not certain whether any are currently deployed there.

3. Condor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

@Harbourboy
    That does'nt matter for your tax money. Food and housing is a very small part of a countrys military budget. In Sweden the military budget is actually bigger now than when we had "real conscription". This year 5000 out of 21000 service capable do military service. (civil service is very rare since you can be classed mentally incapable by saying you don't want to do it) When we had "real conscription" about 20000-30000 did military service.
    It's the material that cost money. Eg. my panzer terrain car costs about 2,5 million dollars. A tire costs about $5000. Some guys I know trained shooting missiles worth $10000 each. It's the material that costs not the soldiers. By cutting down the manpower by half you'll not get a dime for health and education.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah, but we don’t have any hardware in the New Zealand army. There’s no way we have any ‘panzer terrain cars’ and I’d be very surprised if we have any missiles.

5. Morgoroth

6. Condor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

To make myself clear the missiles where anti-tank. Which New Zealand has. NZ uses the FGM-148 Javelin from Lockheed Martin.
    The NZLAV looks about the same as the Sisu but they have different uses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XA-203
    By the way I drive the XA-202 Command PASI. It's going to be in the next Battlefield game and the one in the game is modeled after mine.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I find it kinda silly that a simple tire can cost 5,000 bucks. Almost as silly as labeling a standard needle "first-aid needle" and multiplying the price by 100. It's a rip-off in both cases and the so-called experts swallow it whole.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Morgoroth:

Anyone who works while others enjoy the fruits of his or her labor is de facto a slave. I believe the common good consists in letting people do their own thing as long as they don't hurt others, not in using them as tools for one's own purposes. Collectivism (and forcing people to "serve their country" is a prime example of collectivism) is always justified by the Common Good - and look what collectivism did to us in the 20th century.

Military service and schooling are not exactly the same thing - but yes, I believe school attendance should not be mandatory - making it voluntary would do wonders for the quality of schools that suddenly had to make themselves relevant and attractive to kids! That, however, should be relegated to another thread.

@T2Bruno:

To whom and for what? Surely if you have voluntarily accumulated a debt, you should pay it out of your own pocket. But what did your country do for you - at your request - that allows it to demand that you spend four, six or twelve months in what politicians are pleased to call "service"?

If you are paying off a debt that has been forced on you, we are de facto talking about slavery - though we may use a politer term such as "indentured servitude" or maybe "protection racket".

Is there any particular reason that the city, province, state or country cannot help itself without conscripting your help? What gives them the right to your time, your work, and in the extreme case your life?

Your life and your time is yours to give or sell, not theirs to demand!

9. Morgoroth

Indeed I can agree with that. Let's see however who profits from military service? Yes the community, which you are efficently part of and therefore you profit from it too and it can't possibly be slavery under your own definition.

Unless you live in a libertarian "utopia" (which Denmark to all my knowledge is not) you have likely benefitted from social education, healthcare, and protection. Military service is a way of paying this back in addition to taxes. Unless you suggest that we give tax benefits to those who do their military service, then I'm all for that. In that case a voulentary military service would be even better so we could scrap the nearly useless civil-service.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

1. Why should I have to donate my time (in service) as well as my money (in taxes)? In effect, my tax money represents the time that I have laboured for at something I am good at it. Better to have me do what I am good at and use the resources I have gathered in doing that to allocate to the people who are good at playing soldiers.

2. Why should soldiers get tax benefits AND a salary? That just sounds like excessive administration.

I agree mostly with everything that Montresor said.

11. Morgoroth

Conscripted "soldiers" get just enough to get by. They don't get any serious salary. Unless you consider under three euros a day to be a salary. As I said, I lost a hundered euros or so during service and I was not spending a lot. Most lost more money than me, a friend of mine lost 10 000 euros during the time of his service.

A professional army in a small country such as Finland would be impossible if it was supposed to defend the country. Unless you raise taxes significantly and recruit foreigners but I'm not comfortable with that option at all.

12. Harbourboy

But it would also be horrendously expensive and detrimental to the economy to rob the workforce of a chunk of its ablebodied young workers just so they can march around and shoot guns. Especially in New Zealand where 75% of the 20 year old males are in London anyway. To conscript the remaining 25% would leave you with no young men doing any real work at all. Chaos!

13. Morgoroth

I'm not saying that your country should go to conscription, I'm saying that it's the best option for this country. New Zeeland has a geographic position which makes attacks against it very unlikely unless there's a fascist coup in Australia or something similar but I really don't see that happening.

14. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

That's a good way of putting it. It is a 'debt' that has been forced upon you. Brings to mind that song...
    "You load sixteen tons, what do ya get?
    Another day older and deeper in debt
    Saint Peter, don't you call me 'cause I can't go
    I owe my soul to the company store"

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think I know what you mean, but if they are in London, they cannot simultaneously be in New Zealand.

16. Harbourboy

That's exactly my point.

17. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

first off, what debt? what is it that conscripts owe society?

Secondly, how come over half the population dont owe this? Considering that its only able males, who pay this "debt" of yours

but seriusly define the so called debt, cause currently it stands out as a half assed excuse to keep this archaich form of military alive.

18. Morgoroth

What's there to define? You've recieved free education, healthcare and protection from the government. In return you are expected to pay taxes when you find employment and do the military service. It can't possibly be considered slavery since you are yourself benefitting from this system that is there to protect your life and your possessions if and when a war breaks out.

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Just to highlight this one, neat solution brought up:

No conscription during the time of peace, conscription when the pot starts boiling. Adaptive and efficient, since war does not, by all likelihood, begin without clear warning. And this warning can be assessed by risk-analysis. Time, money, and work saved with a simple solution. :cool:

Education is paid with your tax-money and so are healthcare and police. Everything government does is funded by the people and for the people. When you have paid your taxes, you "owe" nothing to the government.

20. Morgoroth

Protection comes in many forms not just police. And one of those forms is to have an army to defend you and your property against an outside invasion. This army requires manpower and you are indebted to give the community that manpower.

Well no. The routine is lost after you stop conscripting and will take years to return. Emergency conscription won't work because there are not enough trainers for it to take an short enough time for the country to be able to defend itself. Atleast our official defense policy has counted that there is an approximate time from two to five years to prepare for war. This will not be enough time to get the population properly trained. Also when the enemy who is working up against you notices the start of conscription they will no doubt attack you sooner. Conscripting "at times of risks" might very well be as good as not conscripting at all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.