1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Legal Question on Video Games

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ok, here's one for ya...
    A software developer releases a video game. This game is full of bugs and glitches, and in some cases can make the game unplayable for some people. The developer and the company released the game say there is nothing they can or will do. Each say it is the other company's problem now.
    There are possibly hundreds, if not thousands of fans out there who have spent money on a product and just simply want the product fixed.
    The game that came out is a sequal and you can import characters from the first game into the seqaul. The problem is with some of the glitches, depending on how you developed your character in the first game, that player can be unplayable in the first game.
    What kind of legal action, if any, is there against the developer and the company that released the game? Class-action?

2. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I'm not really into legal stuff, but it seems to me that the developer is to blame, not the distribuitor. Still I don't think you can do anything other than sue the developer... :)

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

There's utterly no point in legal action. What exactly would you be suing for? If a game doesn't work, take it back to the place you got it from and get a refund, or wait till the developer puts out a patch.

Just think about it. The company made a bad product. So what? They didn't force you to buy it, you made that decision. If you didn't read reviews of the games and so on, they're not at fault.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In most cases, the publisher pays the developer for support (i.e. further patches after a game is released), and if they don't, the patches simply don't get made, unless someone on the dev team makes them in his free time. This is how it was with Temple of Elemental Evil. There have been thousands of bad/buggy games made, but I've never heard of anyone suing (successfully or otherwise) the creators. I remember scores of people saying they'll sue Stormfront after their hard drives had been wiped because of a bug the Pool of Radiance 2 install program, but nothing came of it there either.

So, yes, the only sensible thing to do is not to buy overly buggy games, or take them back if the bugs bother you too much. But if you're going to wait for bug-free games these days, you won't be playing anything any more. All PC games released today are buggy, it's just a question of the extent of it.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There is not much you can do. Games come with a license agreement (EULA) and those agreements more often than not say that you can't sue the morons for anything, including situations when damage can be done, they know it and they don't tell you. I'm still not saying it isn't doable, but it would be a damn hard case and it isn't worth it.

If the game weren't playable, in the sense that there would be no way of finishing it, and they refused to make a patch, then it could be a bit easier, but still not much so. Or if something were different from what the publisher assured (like minimum specs or whatever).

But if the license agreement contains no such waivers, you should be able to sue. The problem is, you couldn't probably afford a good lawyer without burdening your budget too heavily, but the company already has a team of seasoned litigants, so it will likely come up with something you can't beat.

Class action... maybe. But what lawyer would take it? Without strong evidence of fraud, like the company knowingly releasing a buggy product in order to rip off the customers, it would be a risky venture. Should be easier to deal with broken hardware or lost data claims this way. But I don't see much of a way here of getting redress for destroyed hopes, lost comfort, poor playability and the like. ;)

Not like I'm an expert in common law, let alone class action.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Although IMO releasing a game such as ToEE is wrong, I don't blame publishers/developers for protecting themselves from lawsuits. Generally speaking computer users are uninformed consumers. Ask them what they have and they say "Oh I have 'brand name'. " Maybe they can tell you if they have XP or 98. That's about it. Plus Grandma has a grandson/daughter who loves to play computer games. She sees the latest game advertised. Buys and gives to grandchild.

Computers are complicated machines and get more complicated. All sorts of things can cause problems and spyware, trojans etc can also cause problems.

Until consumers become better educated and refuse to buy something just because it is the latest thing we are going to have problems.

We are lucky on this board to be able to turn to each other for help.

7. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

If you buy it...don't like it...return it. Save your receipt and tell your friends...but you have no legal recourse. 'Class action?'...give me a break. Remember...the key word in all this is 'games'.

This is not a 'legal' matter, but a 'consumer' matter.

Sheesh...quit thinking everyone is responsible to you, and do some research before you buy something.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

An unplayable game hurts the publisher and developer badly in the long run. After the debacles around Pool of Radiance and ToEE, how many people will trust the companies involved again?

9. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Until the part of importing characters into the game of the previous version, i thought this was about VTM BLoodlines. :D

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm - interesting, and generally I agree with HS. If your game is defective, then you are entitled to a refund at the place of purchase. Beyond that, I don't think you can sue for anything. Besides, what are you suing for? What type of damage have you received from a buggy game? All it cost you was some extra time and gas money in taking the game back, so class action seems like a stretch to me.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Of course it's a stretch. Isn't the whole of civil law? ;)

But, seriously, there is an amount of time lost while getting the game, playing it, dealing with the bugs, waiting in vain for a patch and then dealing with the refund formalities. And I doubt anyone would ever return your money just because the game is buggy. For a crappy CD, yeah, but not for a crappy game.

It's a nice theoretical problem to ponder, but I still say it's not worth it, anyway.

12. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

IMO problems with ToEE were nothing compared to problems with Daggerfall (or Buggerfull...;)....)
    It seems also, that Morrowind didn't suffer much because of its predecessor...
    Back to the topic, if you want to do something against developer you don't like, stop buying its games...and tell your friends what they can expect from that company...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.