1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The end of gas-powered cars!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackhawk, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I found this piece of news exciting in that scientists in Minnesota have invented a new form of engine/reactor that can be used to power cars on ethanol. :eek:

The reactor converts the ethanol into hydrogen gas which is then used internally.

The best parts of this story is that the reactor will not create pollution or the infamous smog and, secondly, the United States (and any other nation for the matter) will no longer have to bow before the Middle Eastern states. :thumb:

Here's a link to the story: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/02/13/hydrogen.reactors.ap/index.html

2. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Don't be so optimistic about this. There have been many projects in universities around the world the last 20 years, which have produced cars or engines powered by alternative forms of energy (electricity, solar energy etc) but none of them has gone beyond the prototype stage. The reasons are ranging from high cost to the fact that their perfomance isn't equivalent with the perfomance of the gas-powered engines. Also, don't forget that the oil companies are not going to lose the goose with the golden eggs so easily.

[ February 13, 2004, 22:15: Message edited by: BOC ]

3. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Nothing new. Alternative fuels already exist.
    Hydrogen, liquid nitrogen systems, solar power, olive oil... cheap and non-polluting solutions exist or could exist very soon, only "motivation" (read: big investment) is needed.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is only one way any technology will replace oil as the dominant - or even viable - energy source on the planet: Money.

If someone can find a way for alternative, clean-burning fuels and energies to be more profitable than oil, oil production and consumption will dwindle. Conglomerates like Halliburton, Exxon, Schlumberger, etc. will follow the dollar anywhere it leads, even if it leads to a cleaner world. Let's face it - they're the ones in charge here. Unless it benefits them, they won't go near it. Hell, Exxon still hasn't paid for the Exxon-Valdez oil spill, and that was what...13 years ago?

I welcome the day when gas-powered cars are considered antiques. I just don't think I'll see it in my lifetime. My kids either. :(

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oil will be used for as long as there is any, that's pretty much a given. Neither is the switch going to happen overnight, nor are the oil companies going to just stand idly by while an alternative fuel is going to start being used.

A number of similar inventions have been made in the last century, each substantially better than the engines in use today. Guess what? The patents to them were bought, and all the plans and schematics shelved, never to see light of day again. You can guess who bought them.

As soon as all the oil is gone, there'll be plenty of alternatives available. (Actually, many already are.) However, the economies of many countries heavily rely on oil. The USA is hardly an exception. So just having an alternative doesn't mean anything. Until the oil companies say "ok, we're done with oil, we'll start converting all the gas stations to offer alternative fuel", and car (and other) manufacturers actually start installing suitable engines, nothing is going to change.

6. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

as far as i know, Brazil has used ethanol powered cars for years.

7. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Alternative fuels won't have the chance to become widespread for a long time, and not the effeciency is the necessary problem. I heard about the electricity-using cars. They would work fine if the building of filling stations would be possible (the energy given by electricity is consumed quickly in the car). But the oil cartells would stop any attempt. This applies to all other categories of alternative energy that could replace the power gained from oil-based fuels.

8. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG]
    Most of the alternative fuel sources have just been completely unfeasible.
    • Electric cars have a very limited range, low HP, and there is no intrastructure to refuel them. There have been versions that you can plug into a power outlet, but this must be performed at home given the time requirements. Private businesses would object.
    • Gas-powered cars limited in other ways. Currently, large refineries are required to extract the hydrogen gas - which do create polution. Transportation of the gas is dangerous and storage is also quite dangerous. Attempts to store hydrogen gas has created protests. No one wants the Hindenburg in their back yard. In addition, there is not existing infrastructure.
    • Solar-powered cars suffer all the weaknesses of electric cars with the exception range and a lack of refueling needs. Unfortunately, they need sun to run properly and, due to the solar panels, just a tad, ugly. Ironically, the most liberal cities in the United States happen to also be the foggiest. :)
    The reason why Minnesota got into the news - especially in political quarters - is that this technology is feasible. Ethanol is easy to transport (at least as well as gas) and the current refueling infrastructure can be used to distribute it. In addition, ethanol burns hideously dirty. Conversion to hydrogen solves the polution aspect which as limited its feasability.

There is a great amount of territory in the Montana and Idaho to name a few that is idea for planting corn. This could be the respective member states cash crop (literally).

Personally, I don't expect to see this technology for a while now. However, given the environmental aspects and the "liberation from OPEC" aspect, there will not be a political fight of note.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As Equester said, Brazil has used ethanol powered cars for years. (I knew some south American country did, just didn't remember which.)

So I really don't see what the news here is. That some US scientists finally realized what the southern "neighbours" have been doing for the last dozen years?

I'd welcome someone posting some links about ethanol powered cars in south America. I read a few articles about it in local newspapers over the last few years, but nothing online.

Btw, if you actually believe that

you must be incredibly naive. The last thing the US is worried about are the environmental aspects (at least at this point; see Kyoto protocol). Secondly - even if we completely ignore the power of the oil lobby in the US; something akin to ignoring Godzilla - to use a metaphor, the economy of the US is riding on a horse made of cheap oil (compared to most European countries, you get nearly three times the amount of gas per buck as we do). So, kill that horse, and the economy falls. And even if it doesn't break its neck in the process, it'll be hospitalized for a LONG time.

Even if for some incredible reason (and as I said previously, I don't believe this will happen until the planet runs out of oil), the oil companies all over the world start to switch to ethanol, I seriously doubt that the US itself could be capable of producing such large amounts of ethanol on North American soil, or that their price of ethanol could get anyhwhere near the low price of oil it is currently enjoying. And that's really the only bottom line here. If it isn't cheaper than oil, it won't happen. If anyone has any comparative studies on the costs, I'd love to see them.

10. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

Read the article. This "reactor", as they call it, converts the fuel to hydrogen gas. This will power the car. Our neighbors have not been doing this for last dozen years because the technology did not exist - still doesn't outside the engineering lab.

Do you think the reason America does not burn ethanol is the oil industry?

Do you honestly think this battle will be fought at the Federal level? People who live in large cities want cleaner car technology. L.A., for instance, has a huge cloud of smog that sits over the city. Even with smog regulations on car emitions, it the result is still pretty bad. In the case of L.A., 18 million people live in a geographic basin.

I will look into the "Kyoto" reference you posted.

The Oil Industry is strong, true, but not as strong as was classicaly depicted by the Communists. This industry, like all industries, is looking to change. Don't forget the automotive lobby as well.

As far as the economy is concerned, transportation does play an important role. This is true. Few people live within close proximity to their places of work. However, the U.S. economy is quite able to kill the horse if need be. The OPEC sponsered oil crisis of the 70s was a mere inconvience - or so I have been told.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    We'll see about that... I'm quite curious if anything will even come out of all this. Even if such cars and fuel do start to get produced, I'm sure both the cars and the fuel will be more expensive than current cars and fuel (at least initially). So it really begs the question who will want to spend more money just to drive a more environmentally safe car? A few very environment-conscious and rich people, certainly... But it's only the masses that could actually make a difference.

12. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

There's the rub. It's a catch 22. They won't be cheap until they're mass produced, and they won't be mass produced unless there's mass demand. I do think, though, that it's only a matter of time. Po' folks didn't buy dvd players when they came out because they were prohibitively expensive, but now you can get one for thirty bucks at Wal Mart.

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The problem (or benefit, as you see it) with ethanol is the low energy of combustion. And the low rate of reaction, as well (which translates into power).

Even ICBM's use hydrogen.

14. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Totally justified question IMO. The answer is obvious: not many people will want to use them. On the contrary, if we consider all the great inventions which are now common and natural parts of our life, they all started like this. As development becomes better and the creators can lower the costs, the mass production will be able start, and the product can spread. But everything takes time... lot of time. So I don't expect for example many electrical cars on the roads in the near future.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Toyota has been marketing a combined electric-gas car for several years now (it is called the Prius here, probably the same elsewhere but I can't say for sure). The car is basically an Echo that uses half the gasoline and costs a little over $10,ooo CDN more. You don't plug it in as the electrical part is charged up when you brake etc. and used to power the car at low speeds (unless the battery is run down in which case gasoline is used).

The car is mostly promoted as being something that helps the environment, however, the number of people who are actually willing to spend the extra money to help the environment is virtually nil. I have spoken to numerous Toyota salespeople and they will all tell you the same thing, everyone they pitch the car to is interested until they find out the additional cost at which point they immediately go back to looking at an Echo.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.