1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mad Cow Disease in Washington

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Splunge, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's some kind of Bush Camp conspiracy, I've no doubt.

Also, I've not eaten steak in a while. Mostly chicken and eggs (as far as protein goes).

Safe. :)

3. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] From what I read, they have quarantined the area. Most likely, all the cattle will be destroyed and their remains burned.

The disease you get from "Mad Cow" is absolutely horrific!

The disease, called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and also Kuru, can remain dormant in your body anywhere from days to decades. When it becomes active, it causes your brain tissue to crystalize. Victims loose their memory, their balance, their ability to think and eventually end up psychotic. Victims in many African countries are simply mercy-killed at this point.

4. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Unless you know and trust the source of that chicken, don't be too sure.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Suuuuuure, that would make perfect sense.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The entire mad cow panic is silly, it has run around the world a couple of times. Most of the times they have suspected cases of mad cow it turns out to be nothing. Then there is also the fact that it is damn hard to catch the afflication. Even in Britain where Mad Cow really was rampant for a while I wonder if more than a couple of hundred people got the disease. You need to eat part of the animals brain or spinal tissue I think and even then it is just a small risk that you catch it.

But hey! We live in an age where panic sells newspapers and gets viewers so that is what the media feeds us.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  8. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't think I'd consider the mad cow 'panic' silly. Although there's always the threat that the meat would enter the human food supply, the damage the disease causes to cattle herds is the main reason that countries block suspect imports. That's the number one reason that Japan has such strict import rules now.

The Canadian beef industry is still trying to recover from the incident in May. That infected animal was destroyed quickly and didn't enter the food supply. The suspected US animal has parts in 3 different processing plants that are being tracked down. The effect on the US beef industry could very easily be devastating.

9. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I work for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and I can tell you that the animal tissue that is really at risk are called "specified risk materials" and consist of the brain, the spinal cord, part of the intestine and some ganglia. These materials never enter the food chain, but can be used to produce animal feed. All other edible cow tissue can still transmit the disease but at very low rates.

Feed containing specified risk materials are banned in Canada (and most countries I would imagine), but cows that were fed prior to the ban might still be infected. As someone stated, the disease can remain dormant for years, even in cows. Animals younger than a certain age (I believe it's 4 years old) are supposed to be immune to the disease.

In any case, the health risks for humans are minimal. If there's only one infected cow, that is (as was the case here in Canada). If the disease is widespread in US cattle, then look out below!

There are tons of information about BSE (mad cow disease) at www.inspection.gc.ca

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Not Creutzfeld-Jakob disease, *variant* Creutzfeld-Jakob disease. This one tends to pick off younger people (ie - not 60+). And as Blackhawk says, the dormancy period for variant CJD allows for infection to go unnoticed for years. Watch what you're feeding those cows.

11. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, I live in Washington and recently bought some ground beef. While the risk is low, I have no intention of eating it.

12. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

This is likely caused by cannibalism- it seems that this disease crops up everywhere (and in humans as well) that cannibalism is practiced, one of those curious things but I'm pretty certain that the correllation is there.

So those cheap farmers have to stop feeding their cows from the rendering plants the inhumane bastards.

13. Commandante Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

it was pretty rampant back in Britain a while ago, didn't it start from farmers feeding cows sheep or something likle that

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

The hit to the US beef industry has been minimal. Even other countries banning our beef will have almost no impact on the industry (exports of beef are such a tiny percentage). There has been a slight hit that farmers have felt, mainly only in beef prices.

141 people, last I checked.

Correct. Both of those have been banned for consumption by either people or animals in the United States for almost 2 decades.

Spellbound, not only is the risk low, it's non-existant. Especially if you bought that beef more than a day or so ago. The FDA has kept such a watchful eye on the beef industry (which also polices itself) that you have a better chance of dying in a housefire caused by cooking the food than by catching any disease from the meat.

Chicken is right now much more dangerous than beef.

15. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

Then again,

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2001823293_madcow26.html

16. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Sojurner, I fail to see how that article makes any real point. Regardless, all of my information comes out of the Times as well (not Seattle, but still) so I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on bovine pathology.

Eating the meat itself cannot spread the disease, and the only parts of the cow that carry the disease have been banned from processing for any creature's consumption for years.

18. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

All right then, maybe this will spell it out better, that the meat-packing industry is not as safe as it once was:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/28/national/28COW.html?pagewanted=1

The so-called downer animals are the most prone to disease, and not just of the BSE type. Fast food industry is right to take precautions - Jack-in-the-Box, anyone?

What was that about the meat from sick cows being safe again?

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Here's an interesting take on the subject from a professional chef:

Alton Brown

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.