1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First public gay school

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by teekc, Aug 1, 2003.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

CNN report

Why is there a need for this? Why would they want to seperate them while claiming they are giving them more respect? Withdrawing homosexual school kids from normal school kids isn't helping both sides at all.

Besides, they are kids, how can they confirm their sexuality preference?

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

This is just plain stupid. They're hiding again, separation can't protect them from the future. Sooner or later they'll have to go out in the bad bad world again, looking for a job, a house, or whatever. Then they once again have to deal with those evil heterosexuals.

I don't get it, they went through so much trouble to get a little accepted, for equal rights, and now that they have it, they want to separate themselves from the rest again.

3. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I find it very funny that many groups that face racist attidude instead of taking steps towards the elimination of that attidude they follow the exact opposite way. :confused:
    I believe that here is another example of that strange to me way of action

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    It is ironic to see that in the desire to overcome discrimination people promote separation again - the same thing the african americans, that's iirc the politically correct term, along the way overcame in their struggle for non-discrimination.

Separation results in alienation and leads to further discrimination*. It's a stupid idea IMO, and I agree with teekc: They are just kids. Leave them time.

* What a stupid use of that word anyway as making a difference generally is just a sign of common sense ...

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Like Ragusa said, implementing segregation is a troubling solution to this.
    I thought that the liberals were all about promoting "diversity".

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Boy, is this ever a misguided attempt to “help” the gay community. It’s the exact opposite of the purpose of racial integration from several years ago. While the idea is to shelter these kids from harassment, the result will be to make them totally unprepared to face the realities of the world when they’re finished. And it does nothing to teach the heterosexual kids about tolerance. It seems to me that, rather than creating a separate school, the educational system should be cracking down on the people doing the harassing and beating.

7. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Who exactly decides where kids must go to school? Parents, I guess. So gay parents put "their" children in gay school, children who will likely be gay too and put their kids into gay school as well... that way homosexuality could become hereditary, strange.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This has to be one of the dumbest things our "social engineers" have thought of. Why don't they just paint a target on the students or have the building built with instructions on where to place the explosives?

In my opinion any parent who would allow there kid to go there should be investigated by social services as being unfit.

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This is a horrible idea. Before, homosexuals would be attacked be classmates who find them different. Now, the whole school will probably become a target for stereotypical jocks.

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I certainly hope that jokes are the worst thing that school becomes a target for.

11. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hmm... I'm sure that any psychologist would have a field day in that place! There are so many teenagers who go through a gay/"experimental" stage and later turn out to be heterosexual that it makes me wonder whether this institute will have an effect on its former alumni when they become adults... as others have pointed out, this is a pointless and ill-conceived form of social engineering.

12. Eze Gems: 24/31

I mean, sometimes I do think that I'm lesbian or bisexual or straight. When you're a teen, you're unsure about lots of things and your sexual orientation is one of them.

Do I sound like an adult?

[Rule violation removed & sanctioned.] -Tal

[ August 01, 2003, 22:51: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Does this mean we can have public straight schools? I have a friend who doesn't like homosexuals; I'm sure he's all for the removal of them from his school. Wait, that'd be discrimination. Oops.

(Yes, a bigot, if you want to call him that, is my friend.)

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    But erm, a great part of the gayhaters are gay!

So the accepted gays still mix up with alot of sexually frustrated bullies. :rolleyes:

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've been to a protestant school, so saying gay-schools are stupid would be hypocritical. If people want to have special schools for every single kind of person (sexual preference, color, religion, language or whatever), it's okay with me. No discrimination, no difference.

Problem here (like some said before): They are probably making more troubles or difference by making use of the same rights.

Everybody wants to be equal, by doing different.

16. Pac man Gems: 25/31

[​IMG] Maybe it's just a matter of time until we start seperating the blacks from the whites again, and history repeats itself.

17. Iago Gems: 24/31

Yeah, and don't forget to separate females from males in schools again.

18. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

This is not a school exclusively for gay young people, it is a gay-positive school. There's a world of difference. Heterosexual young people who want to attend this school will be allowed to do so, as the directors already clarified in an interview. What they've done is set up a school with a uniquely strong support system for the children most likely to be bullied or killed by other children, and the children far, far, far more likely to kill themselves. Check out the statistics for teenage suicides - an extremely high percentage is kids who think they might be gay. Building a strong community and equipping it with well-trained counsellors and caring, informed teachers is a huge step to helping them through a danger period in their lives. I welcome this attempt to protect and help these very high-risk kids.

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Yeah, but you can bet on it that a lot of parents won't send their kids to such a school. Most gay people don't come out of the closet at a very young age anyway, so the future gays don't even know what their sexual preferences are at that time.
    I'd be surprised if there would be a lot of young people stepping forward all of a sudden, and tell their folks that they want to attend at a gay minded school.

Like i said before, this whole idea is plain stupid, and doomed to fail.

20. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I openly support sexual diversity.

But I haven't decided how I feel about this thing. It may make things a little more peaceful, and on the other hand it may just invite even worse violence.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.