1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

4000th Topic: Cheating

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Demonater351, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Demonater351 Guest

Yay! Welcome to the 4000th topic! It's some kinda milestone, I guess. Now, to the topic.

What is y'all's opinion on cheating? Looking at this board, I've noticed alot of people mentioning much about hacking, tweaking, and downright abusing the game.

Cheating is not downloading patches and add-ons and such off the internet. Cheating is using the CLUAConsole to spawn yourself a brand-new shiny Crom Faeyr at the very beginning of the game without earning it yourself, or bumping you exp points to 2 million without fighting for it. Cheating is using the Shadowkeeper to create a character with 25 stats all down the board, who knows every spell, can wear armor, and is immune to every type of status ailment. Cheating is downloading a script that allows you to cast a salvo of Magic Missiles and automatically heal the entire party with a push of the button. Cheating is abusing and mutating the game past it's original intent.

Now, my opinion. Cheating is fine. If it adds a little variety to a game you've played over and over again, then by all means...But the point is: a game you've played OVER and OVER again. If you wanna add in items before you can get them and tweak your stats to god-like heights, do so on at least the second time through the game. Give yourself the chance to beat the game without cheating, you'll feel prouder of yourself that way because you've accomplished something. And if you feel like tweaking and hacking and such, do yourself another favor: Set the game difficulty to the highest level to give yourself somewhat of a challenge. A game's no fun if there's no challenge.

Now that's out of the way, please express your opinion about cheating, for or against it. Come on moderaters, you too, please!

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Heh, I was going to post the 4000th topic but I got sidetracked by a telephone call. :heh: So you get it this time. ;)

Well here is what I think about cheating: Bah! I have never used control + anything. The only one I would try is control q just to be stupid and I haven't even bothered doing that. I did get ShadowKeeper back in the day and used it to replace any items that I was too stupid and lost when my inventory was full. Now I don't even do that, if I loose something tough luck. I don't use SK and just keep it around if I for some reason want to play a female half orc jester :grin:.
    Now do I care that others cheat? When they are playing multiplayer and the people who are playing with them don't want to, then of course I care. And I am one of those people who doesn't want it. What anyone does on their own is their own thing though. Personally, on repeated run throughs to make the game more "interesting", I turn up the difficulty, put limitations on myself, and resort from cheese tatics. I find this much more entertaining than lowering the difficulty and cranking up the cheats.

3. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hi,

If people want to "cheat" in their own single player game, I don't care. Everyone is different, they paid for the game, if "cheating" gives them more enjoyment, I say more power to them.

When people cheat in a multiplayer game of any description, thats when I care!

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG]
    Is that what you think?
    Ok, in description says that Crom kills Ettins and Trolls with single hit.

Pal, do you remember Ettin in Underwater City? I assure you that Crom won't kill that Ettin with one stroke. And trolls that fight with some fighters in Druid Grove area? Crom won't kill them with one hit too. These are IMHO not bugs - the game just don't expect you have Crom already while there.

Why are those people cheating then? I mean, why would they get something BEFORE the game expects it?

I'll tell you why:
    TO SPAM HOW COO! CHEATING IS.
    TO SPAM HOW COO! IS THE FACT THEY CHEATED.

Do I care about it? I do.
    Do I think cheaters are gods? Gods don't cheat.
    Do I think it is COO!? Save me saying something I could be banned for.

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't cheat and don't care if others do. However, if you do cheat alot, don't complain if the game gets screwed up.

6. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You just gave me an idea! Turn a couple of the commoners into superdemons! Only a few, so I won't know which ones, and they'll attack me, and I'll be forced into an interesting fight!
    I am at work, so I won't be able to do this t'll later, but now I have something to think on....

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I wonder if the changed commoners would eat the normal ones.
    Let us know.

8. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I wonder why everyone is so concerned about whether or not anyone else is cheating. Who cares?

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well my opinion has always been that the first time through you should go without cheating. But for the next, heck, why not. Whatever keeps you interested enough to play the game some more. I usually create all the items I missed at the end of the game though the console just to see what they were like. Never really missed anything much though. ;)

10. zaknafein Guest

if it brings happiness to you then do it. there are some games that i would never use cheats on but some like grand theft auto suck without cheats(ok it sucks anyway but its good for a bit of mindless killing)

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Tal is very right here. The first time you really should play without cheating. But I can imagine that after the first time you don't wanna play they same way again. Then go can play a different way, to keep the game a challenge. Option to play the game different are: other alignment, totally different characters, solo game, challenges like 966666 or a special party (for example a thief-only party or mage-only party), another option is to go for cheating. In my opinion, Cheating is the lest funny way to achieve great play-time in the game, for the other ways are much more interesting. But, it's all about having fun in the game so when you achieve that with cheating, go for it. But think about this again and next time, try one of the other solutions. You might discover that people here are interested in solo-stories and stories of other cool parties.... I'm afraid interests in stories about cheated parties aren't that high ;)

12. jesper898 Guest

untill yesterday i always used ctrl+q on EVERY enemy i encountered in the game and thought it was extremely funny,
    then i decided to create an elven mage without cheating,im only at Jaheira's curse quest but damn this is fun :D

just realised what i missed by cheating :)

so if there are any big time cheaters like me out there: Cheat if you wish but it kills the fun, i know this from personal experience :D

13. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Demon commoners? I sense Genitic Modifiying here...

14. FoolioBuddumz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yeah, i cheat..but only in single player. so i guess im fine with ya'll ^_^.

15. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] I never used the consule thing since I don't like messing with any of that stuff. I used Shadow Keeper to change the appearance of my f/m to a mage though. I don't think that's cheating since it dosen't really have any effect on the game.

By the way, I don't think cheating is bad if you're playing by yourself. It's your game, it was your 50 bucks and you should be able to do WHATEVER you want with it if it makes you happy! This includes smashing the CD and throwing it from the Sears Tower :) if it makes the purchase enjoyable to you. People hacking on multiplayer and ruining other people's games is a no no though.

16. Laertiades Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I figure If you can beat the game on the hardest lvl of dificulty, it's ok to cheat. I beat it my first time through on easy, next on mid, next on hard and have done every quest, diferent outcomes when I can.

So right now (playing TDD), I cheat on stuff like AFTER a battle hit Ctr+R (not during) 'cause I don't feel like carrying huge amounts of pots (been there-done that, now I only cary one I'll use in mid battle)

Also, say you are on the planar sphere next to Lavoks room, and I need to go outside, since I have already checked everything I'll just hit Ctr+J and jump next to the exit.

Thing is, after you play the game a lot, you get a lot more impatient with it.

17. Naer Dhal Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Cheating..huh...Well some do, some dont, I prefer to put myself in the ladder, I rarely cheat, thus if you count making new and your own kits cheating, well then I guess I do, althought I have the "power" to make them invisible with 25 stats, I dont, it kinda takes all the fun out of the game, I only put in new kits and my own, to make the game somewhat more versatile, like ever thought of playing with a Half-Orc Sumo Wrestler or a Gnome Conjurer, but then again, this is my way of playing, which of course differs from yours, just as long as we enjoy it, right

Later

18. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I cheat. I admit it.

Why?

I am an extremely impatient person, and my computer acces is severely limited. And I mean severely. So, I use ctrl-J to jump instead of waddle, Ctrl-R if the character is up to his eartips in red, and such. I do not, however, use SK to max stats..: I have only used it to switch appearances and such.

I also sometimes use the explore area cheat...

And I just had to have Artemis Entreri in my party. Couldn't resist.

I have created the summon cow-spell scroll because it's fun. I also have gotten an ID scroll a few times...

I try to not to cheat, but it's just so fun at the times...

On the note of calling things to kill... I think I'll try to find some new ones to beat/cheat/whatever... Like, say, Zak and (M)Alice...

Ara
    (Sniffling drow-wannabe and a Lyskalainen)

19. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG]
    Games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or even deeper into D&D are not meant for INTIMATE PSYCHOLOGY! Play it however you damn well want to! These games are made to get you away from your life's crummy existence and open a lighted pathway of entertainment for you to experience bliss. Entertainment is achieved by any means possible (as we see throughout the development of the human race, but I won't get into that) and, therefore, cheating is irrelevant. It will 'ruin' the 'gaming experience' by 'modifying' the 'meaning' of the game. I say no more of 'these'! Why not cheat? Downloading Shadow Keeper and Gatekeeper didn't kill me - it made me able to change the way my character reacted toward the world around him. If I want to gib a black dragon in one hit, that will give me just as much entertainment to watch the scales fly and uncover the gold. If cheating is a sin, the designers at Bioware and everywhere else would outlaw hacking and the CLUA console for everyone. Experience the game differently - don't conform to the life someone else lived! Learn about Henry David Thoreau (...uhh...) and about the founding fathers of America (...ummmm...).

I say cheat for a cool sword and become an ounce more unique, because ENTERTAINMENT IS WHAT THE GAME WAS DESIGNED FOR! If you aren't entertained, change SOMETHING, for you, by not enjoying the experience, are ruining the game, cheating or no.

20. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I cheat occasionally. I do use the jump command, but I limit myself to twice a game say. I use the Console if I lose an item from a bug. I don’t use SK to seriously modify my Char, only to change his appearance and such. Although I did turn my familiar into a panther one time... and I use the console to speed up the romances. But I do it in moderation and i think that is what counts
    and by the way Xelaier, you shoud be a poet. i dont really agree completly with what you have said, but damn that sounded good. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.