1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Don't Eat These Fish!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Do you like seafood? If so, you need to check this out. This is put out by the Monteray Bay Aquarium. You can find out which fish are caught in the most environmentally friendly way and which ones aren't.

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

By the way, anyone see that commercial for Red Lobster with all the lobsters marching along? They are actually migrating to breed in that commercial. Red Lobster got in serious trouble by collecting lobsters during the migration. Its pretty easy to scoop up lobsters when they are all marching in a line. But it is also very illegal and puts a serious dent in the lobster population. Therefore I will not eat at Red Lobster because of this.
    I avoid McDonalds because in the late 80s and 90s it came out that they were clearing large tracts of the rain forests to make pastures to raise cattle for their burgers.
    Other fast food chains were doing this as well.

[ March 20, 2003, 05:20: Message edited by: Elios ]

2. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    [​IMG] Check what? I think you forgot to post a link ;)

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Wow the spammer fell into his owning spammingdemise by posting an endless loop

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm going round and round in circles now because of you Elios :rolling: :spin: :rolling:

It's kind of fun ;)

5. Elios Gems: 17/31

Ok, I apologize. I fixed the link.

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, I always check that any tuna can I buiy has the text "the catching of this fish harms no dolphins..."

(Silence....)

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why is it ok to eat tuna but not dolphins? I have never understood that.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm not sure it's wrong to eat dolphin, though perhaps it is simply not tasty. I think the issue was that the tuna fishermen would catch dolphins in the nets, which would kill the dolphins, and the fishermen would just toss the carcasses back in the ocean. Wasting flesh, wasting life. Even I have a problem with that.

9. Morgoth

Media:
    Yeah, but dead makes the world more fertile..
    Okay it sounds like a complete contradiction, but if you start to think about it...

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Morgoth, are you yanking my chain? Wiping out a species (or even just taking it to endangered levels) is a bad idea. Doing it and not even using the meat or otherwise getting some value out of it, but just killing them because they are in your way, that is ridiculous!

Of course, the flip side there is that dolphins are cute -- no one gets upset when a species of worm dies out, but maybe they should . . .

I'm sorry to say, Elios, that I still eat at the Red Lobster, as they are the best seafood restaurant in my area. Bad Depaara!

11. Morgoth

Media:
    Yeah, but the dolphin dies and otehr animals will live off it, maybe those are not sooooo cute :love: yuch.
    But they are still animals..

Oh and, BTW, I don´t see the extinction of cuuuute animals :love: as evil.. I see them as unavoidable, animals get extinct, to make way for new races.. Wether the origin of the extinction is human or not, they get smashed by a meteorite anyway

It´s a human thing that we like to attach to things, and when we see something dead we get scared and emotional (because of an irrational fear of death).
    We see the death of an dolphin as a waste, because we cannot see and understand the benefits it will bring to it´s surrounding, one man´s dead is another man´s bread

12. Yochimbo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It's not the extinction of *cute* animals, it's the catching and killing of one of the smartest species on earth (after mankind, we hope) in the name of easy fishing. Kinda like the whales.

13. Morgoth

Media:
    Well they are NOT so smart, they recognise themselves in a mirror, okay..

But they still manage to swim into a net and come close to kantonese and inuit with big harpoons.

Note: Kantonese(sp?) eat just about everything which is not attached to a wall, if it is, they´ll unattach it and then eat it. But they still have the best darn kitchen of the world :D

[ March 21, 2003, 15:55: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

14. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't eat at either Red Lobster or Mickey D's because their food tastes bad.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I have no problem with fishing, fur trapping, or hunting. I do have a problem with randomly killing any creature for no reason other than convenience. Pests (like blood sucking mosquitos, chicken eating foxes, or lippy Mothers-in-law) are one thing -- dolphins that don't interfere at all with the fishery and that are not eaten, well, killing for fun or convenience, that's a problem, and Elios can correct me if I'm wrong, it could ultimately end up causing problems with the eco-system.

Taking any species to the brink of extinction (which dolphins are, right?) is a bad idea -- that even applies to ugly creatures!

16. Elios Gems: 17/31

It depends on what speicies of dolphin you are talking about. There are some, like the Chinese River Dolphin, which are endangered. Bottlenose dolphins are not.
    Wiping out an animal that is a top predator can wreck massive havoc on other species. Take for example deer in the United States. One of their natural predators are wolves, or cougars. We've practiacally eliminated the predators in most areas. So we have deer populations that are huge, disease is rampant, etc. Hunting doesn't help much either, because hunters take the big strong bucks and does. A pack of wolves would go after the sick, old or weak. The herd of deer would then stay healthy. By romoving the strong bucks, you leave disease and weakness in the population, which could potentially be devastating.
    Joacqin, you asked why was it ok to eat tuna and not dolphins. Part of it is human's (mostly Western civilization) view of cute cuddly animals vs. ones that aren't. There are many northwest (North American) tribes that still hunt whales. But they only take what is needed to survive.
    The other reason is tuna are a prey species. Prey species tend to have much higher populations. Its part of their survival strategies. If we started harvesting predatory species for food, we could decimate the population in a very short time.
    I know most people are more in the line of the cute and cuddely factor, but most ecologists are along the other lines.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.