1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My View on the Possibility of More Terrorist Attacks

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Joacqin said this in another post:
    He couldn't have said it any better. In my opinion the US has had a continuous terror attack since 9/11. We're all scared about when and where the next attack will occur. We've added so much security in our airports that you can no longer walk your wife to the gate and wait with her for her plane. We have to take our shoes off in the airports. Man, ever been there when they make some guy who has the worst smelling feet in the world? Biological weapon!
    We've seen a new cabinet post developed to address Homeland Security.
    Everytime I talk to my mom on the phone, she tells me not to cross any bridges this weekend, or go shopping another weekend. The governement says "jump!" and we ask, "What color?" Everytime there is a plane crash, when the shuttle exploded, when some small plane crashed into a building, there is a fire in a night club, someone yells, "terrorists!" I can't even go to the Home Depot to get a roll of duct tape when I actually need a roll to do a home repair because everybody and their dog went out and bought all the rolls along with all the plastic sheeting. How the hell am I suppose to paint my living room without plastic drop cloths?
    No terrorist ever has to actually carry out an attack again because they have succeeded in making us crazy thinking they're going to do it again

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Isn't it terrific that you don't even need real terrorists any more to sow terror in your land, when the government and media do it so well instead of them? Scaring the population into believing they're much more threatened than they really are? There's not a better way in the world of ensuring they will support politics whose totally unselfish goals are to protect them from this horrible, looming threat...

Imagine this threat as an inflatable dragon, being pumped up from behind by the media and warmongering politics. Even though the thing is full of holes, constant supply of air into it will still make it look real and threatening, especially because the majority of people will only see the horrible head and talons. (And not the background jumping on the air pumps to keep it standing.) Unfortunately, only a few people will notice the air escaping from all the holes in the punctured dragon. But the desired effect will be achieved anyway, since the majority will not.

This is not to say that the threat does not exist, as it does, on a smaller scale. But to satisfy ambitious war plans you need a constant reminder to the people from the press and the politics, just so they don't forget whose side they should be on. The punctured inflatable dragon was provided for the USA. All that's needed to make it an omnipresent reminder is a steady supply of air. Which is being readily provided by many...

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    definately, bush started a war on terror, and in doing so, the terrotists won the war when it started, their goal is to incite fear, to make everyone change their lives and they did it quite successfully, with a little help from the US government and indeed other governments throughout the world.

people now not only live in fear of terrorists but of their own government because of the new laws they brought out, im terrified of being accused of being a terrorist or being in league with terrorists, because they can hold you, with no evidence and no trial - indefinately.

heathrow airport over the past week has been a good example of this, the presence of the millitary there - in armoured vehicles no less, are scaring the people with pointless fear, yeah, one bloke tried to come through with a grenade in his luggage, but since he had already gotten off the plane, i think the threat wasnt so big anymore, he would have been caught by the normal security.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    But what long-term impact has the threat of terrorism had beyond some inconveniences during travel and a heightened awareness? I don't go about my daily life much differently than before 9/11, nor do many people I know. The engines of commerce are still rolling, albeit at a slower pace that has more to do with the natural business cycle than any reaction to terrorism.

From this perspective, bin Laden failed miserably if his goal was to cripple America. The Twin Towers were a highly visible and sentimental target, but he could have struck a much more damaging blow very easily.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

bin Laden may have been able to strike a more serious blow, but not by much. It takes a LOT of attacks to seriously harm a strong country -- despite all the bombs dropped on the Germans, they still had high industrial output. All the terrorists can hope to do is strike fear into the hearts of the people, and while they may have succeeded for a few days, and caused some crazy behaviour among some people (I'm going to start buying duct tape here in Canada and mailing it to you folks in the States!) overall, people are still confident in the strength of America and western society as a whole.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Tal, I kind of agree with you. But there are parts with which I do not agree.

I don't really care to go into a rant. But I will say that this world gets smaller, every single day.

Isolationism worked in the early 1800's, because it took a week by sea or horse or carriage, to get anywhere. Now, it takes 10 hours. Sometimes, even less...

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I can´t help but thinking that the terrorists won, by making the worldpopulation (especialy the Americans and English) go paranoid, they got you where they want you to be, in continous unreasonable fear..

Now the Americans are ready to kick Iraqs ass for having connections with terrorists..
    Hmm sounds like a well planned set-up from Binnies side, remember his latest tape?

8. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

We're subjected to a lot of "the terrorists have already won" nonsense around here.

Ya know what, they haven't. They haven't brought down America or capitalism or even civil rights.

We're all a little more paranoid, but this country has not changed.

If it had, and the terrorists had won, then they would quit trying to attack us, right?

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The goal of this battle was to get you paranoid enough to kick Saddam Hussein, not to bring your economy, country or capitalism down, that is the goal of the war, which is still undecided...

You see the proof, Osamah is even encouraging America to strike at Iraq.. seems like he is using America as a toy in his Jihad against Saddam.. As soon as America strikes at Iraq Osamah hopes the whole muslim world will stand up against America. But his hope is hollow since the whole middle east except Iraq and Iran are kissing Bush´s ass

BTW, I meant won as in the battle.. not the war

[ February 21, 2003, 23:41: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

10. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I agree with Tal

I am so disgusted, sick, and tired of the constant barrage of possible threats, color codes and duct tape. I see no use for the hype whatsoever aside from public manipulation as a means towards greater governmental control (ironic coming from Republicans who claim they want less gov't) and greater political power.

I'm surprised we haven't re-instated the 'duck and cover' drills so common in the early 60's and 70's.

11. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The best way to deal with a situation like this is to be informed of the situation with factual, unbiased, up to date information. The only way that's ever going to happen with these control freaks in power is by infiltrating the government.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.