1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Being truly evil

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Confirmer9, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Confirmer9 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I have beaten BG2 with several "EVIL" parties and noticed that in a lot of quests I find myself taking the "GOOD" path. It's just not worth it being TRUELY EVIL. If you were, you would miss out on a lot of XP and even items. Some of the quests won't even start if you say the wrong thing, which is usually something an EVIL person WOULD say... Not to mention your Reputation would cause you to be attacked by Cowled Wizards when you entered a town. Does anyone else feel that you should be able to take a TRUELY EVIL PATH without being Handi-capped so much?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why should an evil party have it easy? Evil actions have consequences. You are not trusted, so people will not come to you for help. If your reputation for doing evil is widespread enough, there will be those who will try to apprehend you and make you pay for your wrongdoing. Sounds like BG2 got it right to me.

3. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I played the game with an Evil party, always reputation under 4, never below 1 (Shops wont sell you anything :()... and well, what can I say?

Being Evil means Evil :). Alot of goody goody characters will be offended by you, but hey! who cares. The Quests (the important ones) always have an evil twist. For instance, go kill Aran Linvail instead of joining him (ie Bodhi quests). The meeting with Firkraag, you have the option to get him the landdeed he has been looking after. Trademeet? Well, just dump poison into the pool in the Druid Grove. THOSE ARE ALL EVIL OPTIONS! And much more enjoyable. Not to mention being able to kill Drizzt without any conscience problems. Not to mention going in the High Radiant Order and whack all those Paladins around a bit (one of them even gives 25k exp! YEAH!). Not to mention the fact that you can wipe out the complete Temple district. There are so many options! And the other quests, as long as there is money in it, why not do the quest? Just bargain for more money (you will lose the reputation increase :)) and voila, you're truly a greedy evil character.

The only thing I can say is the fact that the prices in stores aaaaaaareeeeeee so high, that you can better soup up your cash, then go to a Temple, raise your rep to a considerable level, then go buy all the stuff you want and then whack some innocent people to get your rep back low.

The spawning of the Cowled Wizards everytime you get into town is just funny. They managed to kill me a couple of times, but after a while they just become a nuisance. The Full Plate Armor you pick off their corpses provide good money, which you stack and then buy the things you need.

An evil party is way harder than a good party, but its more rewarding (imho!).

BG2 handled it quite nicely imo.

[This message has been edited by Desu (edited April 08, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Desu (edited April 08, 2002).]

4. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I don't know... I always felt that playing TRULY evil would not really involve pissing everyone off all the time. I mean, if you got offered a reward for doing something good - would you not be tempted to undertake the quest anyway? As I see it the key thing about the evil alignement is to serve oneself the best you can - not get into trouble all the time just because you feel an urge to do something that is considered to be evil. That's how madmen would act - deliberatly harming themselves in order to apear evil. Persons of good alignement might do something that damages them directly because they follow the IDEAL of goodness. There is no corresponding ideal of evilness.

5. C'Jakob Guest

Yes. . . being a chaotic evil berserker doesn't work out too well in reality too.

But one is evil not for XP or other powergaming reasons, for those many people tend to be good. If you're going to be evil, you should roleplay evil.

By the way, it's not neccesary to capitalize the important words in a message. You can always bold, italicize, or underline. :)

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited April 08, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  6. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I had the same problem when I first started playing an evil party... what I ended up having to tell myself was that the my pc's thirst for adventure was more powerful than his thirst for evil. You can still feel wanderlust, exhiliration, etc., without being less evil.

And besides, being of evil alignment doesn't mean you have to go around drowning babies or conducting mass slaughter or kicking small animals around all the time.

7. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

I know that C'Jakob but somethimes caps is MORE EFFECTIVE!

Anyway I stand by what I said. Being evil is not the same as being insane. Even the villan of the game, Irenicus, doesn't do anything evil just for the evilness of it - he has reasons. I seriously doubt that when he was in Amn he said things like: "My plan is going well but my reputation is 5 - I need to go and kill a peasant and then come back and continue what I was doing."

[This message has been edited by Vukodlak (edited April 08, 2002).]

8. Desu Gems: 6/31

Eh, that was because I upped my rep with the aid of a temple. Of course I had to kill a couple of peasants in order to get it back low... I mean, whats an evil character with a rep of 14?

9. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Riiiight. So - you kill some people, your rep. goes down. So you PAY a temple (i.e. give money to charity) so the rep goes up again. Use your good rep to get a discount at a store (sort of like evil-gift-vouchers type thingy) and then you go kill some poor bugger to get your rep low again coz - hey you're evil right. Never mind you just gave HUGE amounts of money to a priest - killing a peasent is EVIL muahahaha!

So that's how you roleplay evil is it? Well, well, you live and learn I must say...

10. Desu Gems: 6/31

I didnt say thats how I roleplayed evil, thats how I played an evil character. Mind you. Try this for a change:

Dont do as I told you, and just let your reputation sink to the bottom. You'll have to pay 10000 Gold pieces to get a potion of extra healing. Now, what would you do if you were an evil character? Well (to put it in more roleplaying terms), bribe, YES BRIBE a priest to make it seem that you *care*, go to a shop, abuse your reputation and get off with some cheap goods, after that incident most of the people will realise that they have been tricked.

Thats roleplaying dude.
    Problem is, this is a computer game. So the only thing I do is, I imagine the things I do and to achieve those things, I do some lame stuff, yes.

11. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I agree with Desu completely. I just find a subtle evil person who fools everyone for his own benefit more interesting than someone who charges down the high street, foaming at the mouth swinging a big axe left, right and centre. The one problem is that other evil characters don't recognise that the high reputation is a front.

*BG1 SPOILER*

Just think of Sarevok from BG1, clearly an evil character with high reputation - the nobles of Baldur's Gate loved him so much they unanimously elected him to be a Grand Duke after Entar Silvershield was killed - on Sarevok's command.

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited April 09, 2002).]

12. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

How do you agree with Desu then? He says that if your reputation is high and you're playing evil - you should go whack a peasant to get it down. And then pay a temple to get it up - because yes, you had a high reputation, but instead of using it to fool people you went and whacked a peasant. He's idealistically evil, you see, and just CAN'T STAND when people think good of him. Unless he needs to go shopping, of course...

13. Desu Gems: 6/31

Either one of those two: I expressed myself wrong OR you misunderstood me.

I try again.

Read the post above in the roleplayin terms. Now in Baldurs Gate what happens?

I go to a shop with rep 0. Shop wont sell to me. Ok fine, but I need that armor. What would a clever evil character do? Go to the Temple/Goverment district and bribe, pay off some high placed persons, so that the people look upon you as something good.
    Now go back to the shop. The shop wants to sell you stuff at a good price. What do you do? Buy the stuff and then return to your normal business. Thing is, you only get certain evil options when your reputation is low enough. What is the fastest way to lower your reputation? Kill some peasants. If there was another way, YES, I would do that. But sadly enough the deceive option is not available in BG2.

There, do you understand me now?

14. yappie! Guest

[​IMG] Smart Note: If you were not a nice person, and you went into a shop to buy a plate of Armour; Say the shopkeeper doesnt want to sell it to you.. what would you do?

Answer: Just STEAL the damn thing!!!

Remember that yummy little option? Because Evil characters wouldnt even want to appear Good! Although that depends on how you define Evil.

Lawful Evil: would probably use the *trick the priest into thinking you're good* method. Because they'd not want to get in trouble with the law in fear of retribution.

Neutral Evil: Would do anything to get rich, or ahead of himself, he would do either.

Chaotic Evil: Wouldnt give a kobolds dropping about Law, so would blatantly steal it.

cheerio
    yaps

15. Desu Gems: 6/31

Edwin and I are lawful Evil... So yup :)

Edwin deceives and tricks people, so do I.

16. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Oh sorry, sorry, my mistake. You play LAWFUL evil? Oh well, that explains why you go out and whack someone in the middle of the street where everyone can see you - you like to deceive people...

17. Desu Gems: 6/31

Sigh. You just wont understand? Or you refuse to understand.

The whacking of peasants is to achieve what I want. Like I posted above, if there is any other way to lower your reputation, please do tell me.

In real AD&D there are various more options and the Lawful Evil character that I play would be able to deceive & trick people in the manner that I intend him to do.
    Sadly, like I have said before, this is a game. And in this game, Baldurs Gate 2, it is not possible to deceive other persons in order to get a good reputation to abuse and rip off some stores.

So, if you get any other brilliant idea on how to achieve this effect, please do let me know.
    If you cant come up with any solution, which I am quite sure of it, then just be quiet and accept the fact that there is no other way to do what I want to do, except for that I already have said/done.

18. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There is a quick (and controlled) way to reduce your rep, but only after Spellhold. Slayer change anyone?

19. ArchAngel Guest

And of Course SK. (shadow Keeper) I would like to see its creator twist and turn in his grave if he knew people used it to lower their stats *snicker*

Scroll down to the buttom and there you have SK http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors2.php

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited April 10, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  20. Desu Gems: 6/31

Im talking about before Spellhold, and i am also talking about NOT cheating, which is exactly what SK does :)

Cmon, any other options?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.