1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rolls or spending for stats?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Khazraj, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What do you recommend? I hate the "let's start at below normal 8 per stat scenario of this and Arcanum", but is ad nauseum rolling for stats worth it?

2. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Doesn't that rolling give you much better stats than spending points. I'd go for it, but if that ironman mode gives you only one chance to roll stats then I'd go for points spending. Sometimes I try to copy myself and give my character about the same stats that I have. Of course I can't say if my strenght is 10 or 13 but some general guidelines.

3. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Buying points is idiotic. You get crappy scores.
    I´ve rolled many scores with two 18´s and two 17´s and then the other two above 10. Didn´t take more than 300 rolls any of the times.

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Buying points you can personlize your PCs more than with the rolling. That's probably the only advantage.

5. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

ROTKU, are you sure? I found it utter crap. Rolled perhaps between 1 or an extreme 100 times for some characters and they were way better. Anyway, the point buy is crap since you barely manage more than 2 16s, whereas the rolls allow 18s 17s and 16s.

So called "advanced" stat making is utter crap and a waste of time, rolling is light years ahead.

6. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ Khazraj:
    It's just about what you want. If you want those really high scores, you can always have an editor and edit all your stats to 18, or you can make personalized characters, perhaps to reflect your own strenghts and weaknesses. That's why there are both point buying and rolling, because there are different styles to play RPG's. And that's why RPG's are great, you can always have your own way.

7. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

You're right, but I wouldn't whinge if the stats started at 10 like in IWD2 rather than permapenalty 8. It should be fair since to get all the stats to 10 = no penalty you only have 13 points left from the 25. That's a rip off.

8. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

8's...that's Point Buy in PnP (I'd prefer starting at 9's, as that seems a bit closer to average) and ToEE is supposed to be the latest DnD PC game that resembles PnP as close as possible....dude. And IMHO it does a damn good job.

Point Buy is there for more of a challenge in normal mode. I'm going with Point Buy my 2nd time through. I used 'The Roll' my 1st time and it's been a cake walk. Of the 5 PC's I rolled two took 19 tries, my highest, my lowest being my rogue at 8 and all 5 have sick stats... I'm in the burbs, the boonies, so I'll post stats once I'm back home in the city.

You can't choose point buy in Ironman.

So if you want a challenge in normal mode, go point buy or use a smaller party. If that doesn't get you off, go with Ironman.

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :eek: You're actually gonna say that is not much? Boy! I don't dare to roll over a 15 times...

It seems I'm doomed to this rolling system. If I'd like to buy my stats, I can't create a char with a 5 for intelligence. They probably did this so we could not max out our char's stats, but I'd like to have a char with some stats lower than 8.

10. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I´m used to rolling, I always spend hours rolling for bg scores. Once I rolled 1351 rolls before I got a good enough score for a mage I created for fun. Didn´t even play with him.

I know, I have to much time...

11. coyotemagic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm playing ironman and when i rolled and i didn't like it i cancelled it then hit create again. Ididn't have to do this more than 10 times or there about.I'm running a monk, rouge, wizard,
    cleric, and a dual welding ranger.

12. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Thorongil, not against you but PnP can shove it if it reckons that 8s is an alright start in all stats. It's crap to have to start below the mark in all stats. Why not make it start at 3 and give 25 points? so much easier....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.