1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Choosing between Feats

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Manus, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I do not have enough slots to gain whirlwind attack once I choose Cleave, for a monk class, so have opted for Great Cleave vs Spring Attack. However, is it still a good idea to learn Dodge and Mobility if I am no longer going to gain Spring Attack (since monks have such a high AC and tumble anyway)? Or should I learn two other skills?

Edit-, (everyone probably allready knows this, but for others new to the game, Monks automatically gain the combat reflexes and improved trip feats)

Conversely, does anyone here reccomend choosing Spring Attack over Great Cleave?

By the way, if anyone has any other feat/character builds they would like to share-no matter what class(es) they are-feel free, as it will help someone, and will probably help for my other charcters anyway.

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I would take Spring Attack over Great Cleave, but I have to admit I'm far from experienced with this game yet.
    I haven't even played with a Monk yet.

3. Manus Gems: 13/31

Thanks, I just may do that, seeing as how the monk gets bonuses to speed.

I was thinking of learning the deflect/snatch arrow feats, they're not too useful but it's cool for a roleplay aspect.

The monk doesn't really need improved initiative or feint, or weapon focus, or dodge (or skill focus or blind-fight etc. etc.) because of the high dex and AC, so it's either take dodge/mobility/spring attack, or grab great cleave and burn the other two. Thing is, I can't learn great cleave till lvl 6, and if I want spring attack (at lvl 9) I need to use two specific feats before-hand, so I can't try one and reload, unless I'm real masochistic and want to replay 3 levels of xp.

Hmm. Thanks again for the advice, maybes spring attack is the better choice after all, running 60ft in combat for free can't be a bad thing :)

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I totally support Spring Attack, given the Monk's great speed. You can move, punch, stun, move back. It's like having an archer with stun arrows. Sort of.

Of course, you do provoke AoOs every time you do that, but Mobility does help with that.

5. Deepsea Anglerfish Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

actually..how good is whirlwind attack??
    my level 5 fighter still have 3 feats to choose from before level 10, i'm thinking of whirlwind vs greater cleaves...i spent most of my previous feats on 2 weapon fighting and weapon pro. :(

6. Manus Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Are you sure you could learn whirlwind attack in three feats? You need combat expertise, dodge, mobility, and spring attack before you can learn it, so it's five feats in total- I don't know what you allready have.

Whirlwind attack is good in that you can hit every monster in close proximity (even better if you use a long-ranged melee weapon) but it takes a whole attack round. Great cleave is to cleave what combat reflexes is to Attack of Opportunity (AoO), so it effectively gives you free attacks, even if things move in to your attack range (giving you an AoO, and a cleave as they die) before or after your own turn, and you can still do your own attack. Ideally this attack would be a whirlwind itself, but if you can only choose one it depends on your specific character and attack style.

If you go here you will find an index to many threads regarding combat styles and character builds, mainly focused on the fighter types, but helpful for every character.

There is a lot of information here, so I would suggest you look for a charcter that is similar to your own, and see which way the majority has swung for that specific build, they say a lot about two-weapon fighting tactics there too- starting off negative, but the later posts are very positive on the subject as pertains to certain classes.

Edit: [You'll notice the only charcter they don't really talk about is the monk, :( but every thing else is still covered in depth somewhere].

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Depending on your char there's one thing with spring attack - when you have a high tumble for instance (as with a mc rogue-fighter), spring attack it practically a waste. And, iirc it doesn't work with heavy armor.
    In that case great cleave might perhaps more useful.

8. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Great cleave is gained at so high level you don't really have the chance to use that. You'd need those little critters to cleave on, but Temple doesn't really offer those. So I'd choose (and I did, for my number 1 tank) spring attack. Maybe I'll get that also for my rogue/barbarian later on.

9. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I haven´t played alot since my first game, where I solo´d a pure Fighter dualwielding Long Swords. I chose Great Cleave, and it worked great. And about enemies getting stronger. Doesn´t really matter, get your AC as high as you can and beat 'everyone' down to "Almost Dead" instead of killing them and then when the first one go down, you´ll kill them all on that round. This worked great for me anyways, and should for you to.

10. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

No offense, but that's no good.. Don't you know that best enemy is dead enemy. You should kill one at the time, so they don't get so many hits on you. I know you said you had a AC, but it's still not good excuse to keep 'em alive for that great cleave.

11. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Ofcourse it is since I have 4 attacks.
    When they get to almost dead it will only take on hit to kill them, then my next 3 hits wont happen. It´s better to use all 4 that round to hurt someone alot and then get a "freefrag" (sry) from the cleave. Why take cleave at all in the first case if you dont use it properly?

12. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

"Why take cleave at all in the first case if you dont use it properly?"

That's just what I am talking about. Don't take that cleave at all. Take something useful, like dodge and mobility. I don't mean that cleave is bad choise in general, but in this game it is. It doesn't offer enough right type of enemies to be used effectively, but if you plan on saving your character and use it later when/if sequel is released, then I understand you.

13. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

I´ve slain 8 or 9 people in one round.
    Do you think +1 AC against one opponent is worth more?

Well, it´s your game and I think we could argue for quite some time. Let´s just say I think I made a good choice taking cleave instead of dodge.

14. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

Maybe that Great Cleave works properly when new patch is installed. I just got a wild idea; Sneak attacking rogue with great cleave. If he kills one, can he sneak attack the next one with Cleave?

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If that would be possible, the fun would be over (or starting for some of you ;) )

Imagine: You hide in the shadows, sneak up to a group of goblins and kill one by slitting his throat. It drops to the ground, its black blood spurting all over the place. Goblins may be stupid, but I think they would notice there is something going on.

But hey, this is a computergame, and quite a weird one, too. So it's probably possible.
    ;)

16. Manus Gems: 13/31

I decided to go with Great Cleave, and deflect/snatch arrows, not for any reason except I thought it would be cool, like I was watching a Hong-Kong action flick.

I was dissapointed at first...until I remembered Power-Attack. I hadn't used this for most of the game, when I did, my monk became a power-house. I put it up to 6 (the max for me at level 8) and he started hitting for 20-30 damage non-critical. With great-cleave, I can easily take out 4-5 Greater Bugbears or Gnolls (he has 3 base attacks now anyway) or any number of lesser bugbears, humans, or goblins that decide to get in my way, in a single round (or is it turn?). If I don't initiate combat by doing just this, I'll just send him into the fray, wait for the attackers to advance, and next go he gets, they all drop.

Only problem is it is becoming increasingly difficult to search through all the bodies- because they are all piling up in a heap about him. :D Depending how many monsters and rounds there are, he could be surrounded by a good 10-12 at least, in a single spot.

I'm starting to think of myself as Jet Li :D The special monk combat animations fit the cleave ability so well, it's worth it just so you can re-play the scene in your head :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.