1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this a joke or what?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Wassup, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] I just bring back the heart of Yoshimo to the Illmater templer. It give me 200,000 xp!!! I just falled from my chair when i saw that! There is no big deal bringing back this heart and they give you that amount of xp. Cant believe it. And somebody know something about the idiot who throw you a rock, just after returing the heart?

2. Kyrn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

That idiot with a long name appears once at any time (first time you go to that temple I think).
    The worst part for me was when I resurected someone. He/she had 1 HP. He threw the coin. Had to resurect again. Twat.

As for the 200k XP. I can only assume it was meant to be 20k XP. I can't see that bringing his heart is worth killing 25 Golems or 15 beholders.

3. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, were you told within the game to do this with Yoshimo's heart or by chance read it on a message board?

There have been lots of earlier posts during the first few weeks when the game was released as to what to put into the Gods open hands in the Temple Ruins. Now everyone knows what it's for.

You cleaned a heart of evil to a heart of good. You took the time to carry your companions heart all that distance to the Temple Ruins. You battled through wave after wave of beasts to get back to the surface. That alone is a good reason as any to distribute 20,000xp.

On another note. With the way BG2 dishes out large amounts of experience for doing little tasks, you shouldn't have expected anything less.

What gets me about this "fake" DM of an Infinity Engine for BG2 is if you did this quest in BG1, the experience would have most likely only been 2,000xp for the same damn task.

Syl...

4. Wassup Gems: 9/31

I'm sure i saw 200k xp

5. Kyrn Gems: 2/31

Syl, You are geing confused.

It really is 200k XP and it is not to the Temple Ruins that the heart must go to.

When you right-click on his heart the description says take it to the temple of Ilmater (Waukeen Promenade).

The heart to the Temple Ruins is for your love after Bodhi.

And I really think it is a bug. 200k XP is way too much.

6. Wassup Gems: 9/31

Kyrn--> Exactly

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm thinking that they give you the 200K as consolation for all the experience that went down the drain with Yoshi...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 06, 2000).]

8. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Someone must have cast a confusion spell here. I think the temple is in the Slums District, and Blackthorne TA, I think you are correct. 200k exp is small consolation for losing my favoured that I spent alot of time developing.

9. Kyrn Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Sorry what I meant was

"... the description says take it to the temple of Ilmater (e.g. Waukeen Promenade)"

There is one in the Slums district and one at Waukeen Promenade. Any Ilmater Temple will do.

I still think 200k is too much for Fedexing a heart. No matter the loss.

10. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

Syl: of course you would only get 2000 in BG, if it handed out that much, you would be at the XP cap by chapter 3.

11. Beorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

If you take the evil route at the end of the game, one of the tears you put in the door will also get you 200k.

My theory is that they made the Yoshi heart thing that much as more of a surprise. The first time I went through, I completely forgot about the heart, and could've cared less about saving Yoshi's soul. I was too pissed off to give it a second thought. Now I wish I'd payed more attention, I sure could've used the xp.

12. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

That was kind of my point Yogurt. In the DM Manual it states that experience should be based on the hardships that one went through to complete the adventure and then hand out the final experience. BUT the experience should not be higher than the combined experience the characters would get on the adventure for killing monsters and the like.

So my point with BG vs BG2 in the difference of experience was that neither are based on this form of giving experience. They just give out experience for the bloody hell of it.

If you get 200,000xp in BG2 for doing the samething that you would do in BG1, the experience should not differ, yet it would.

How dumb is it getting 10,750xp points for talking to a Paladin in the Graveyard District, then simply walk down a stone pathway to another part of the Graveyard District where a Priest and a little girl are? Then tell the Priest "Hey, I know someone on the other side of the Graveyard District that would love to adopt a child!" and the Priest eyes widen "Really?! Pray tell, let him know I am so fond of the idea".

So there you go and walk back to tell the Paladin. No threats along the way, no worry at all and BAM 10,750xp.

Pretty stupid.

Syl...

13. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

I wouldn't complain about easy XP.

14. Doomlord Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Well, if you only want to take serious experience from killing then why are you playing role playing games?Go play Daikatana instead; you will get your experience from only killing.This is roleplaying and I think you must get most of your experiences from solving problems with talking, debating ,convincing -trying to fing a less bloody way-.It is what a hero must do; not bashing someone's head and then asking "sorry what was in your mind?".
    It is 200k exp. and it is worth every single point of it, because you help an old friend (who had fought,stealed and died for you when necessary)find peace in death.

15. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

Not to mention you had to put up with his treachery, how bad he sucks, the fact that he cant fight in any battles or he dies, or the fact that he is the most pathedic excuse for a theif there ever was, his pick pocketing sucks!!

16. Beorn Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I have to disagree with the pickpocketing thing...when I was in Chpt 2, after I had completed as many C2 quests as I could and just before I went to C3, I fitted Yoshi with the gloves of pickpocket and rummaged the entire city. The only good thing I got was a ring of regeneration off the dude at the A-mart. The only person I couldn't pick was Aran Linfeld.

17. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Hmmm, I thought Yoshimo was pretty good as far as a thief goes. I guess it depends on what qualities you want in a thief. I'm using Jan right now, and as far as pick-pocket, find/disarm traps goes he is second to none.
    With Yoshimo, I liked his ability to scout ahead and do some decent backstab damage. I think his 'snare' ability was pretty good as well.

Oops, off topic here a bit. I agree with Doomlord here. The X in XP stands for experience, which should include many other things than killing creatures. In the case of Yoshimo, there is alot to be learned from his betrayal. Maybe next time we'll all listen a little more closely to an NPC's 'harmless' banter during the game. If I recall correctly, He makes a few questionable comments throughout the game that might hint at his true goals (or geas).

And returning the heart can be viewed as more that a FedEx quest. You are cleansing the soul of a dear friend who fought at your side, who really had no choice in his betrayal of you. (Plus you have to carry around that gross cardiac organ for quite some time, that has to be worth something :))

Just my thoughts.

18. Mobeus Gems: 5/31

Pardon me for jumping in with a possibly unrelated question, but is this Yoshi thing a sort of optional quest?

I dropped Yoshi sometime after Nalia's keep (mine now) and picked up Jan as my thief person. Ever since then Yoshi has just stood inside the front door of the Copper Cornet. Now, when I finally returned from the underdark, I walk in the Cornet front door. Yoshi immediately says "uuuunnck!" and falls down dead! Nothing else--just dead. Searched his body and got some equipment, but NO HEART!

Hence, my question. Is this heart thing really big/important or is it more or less optional. If it's a biggy, then I'm more or less screwed! (until next game) <grin>
    :) :D

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is optional, and you get his heart if you have to kill him in Spellhold...

Yoshi dies in the Copper Coronet because he failed the geas that was placed upon him by Irenicus.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 07, 2000).]

20. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It's no biggie. Apparently you only get his heart if he's with you at Spellhold.

I seem to remember Yoshimo asking me to take his heart to a temple of Ilmater when I killed him, or at least he said something about Ilmater forgiving him, so I think I knew what to do. The amount of XP surprised me as well.

[This message has been edited by Thaumas (edited December 07, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.