1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The history of the name that is you.

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Foradasthar, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Some amount of new threads I'm making here. Well what's the harm, as long as there's at least some sort of imaginative point to them.

If you want to share the history of your nick, place it here. This idea was brought up by Harkle when he asked of my nickchange here.

The history of my own nick is also there, partially. But I'll repost it here anyway. Feel free to discuss of each other's nicks aside from just giving out stories of your own, of course.

Around the year 1993/-4 I got my first comp. For the reason that I had to have a cool nick (I like my real name, but not only do I dislike the idea of not being anonymous, I don't think my name really fits a hero either). I don't really remember what the first few versions were, but right when the X-Files came, I took the Fox from Mulder's forename and added a "z" to the end. That's when I became known as Foxz for until around year 2000.

Then, just after I had graduated from the high-school and started preparing for the army, I re-designed my nick for the old one was too old, and too n00bish. Above all, it had already been used by others on different online and other multiplaying games and services. After thinkig about several different names, I came to the conclusion of Forashi. Fora is taken from the Japanese word of "tora" which means tiger, whereas "shi/shine" means death or dying, in the very same language. F was to replace the t in "tora" to keep it at least somewhat personalized for me, not just a stupid cloneword. This new nick was close enough to the old one so most ppl still guessed it was me, and was long and compicated enough to not be copied (or re-invented by another) just like that.

During the first 2 quarters of the year 2002, inspired by Ed Greenwood's Elminster and need for more uniqueness, I came up with yet another nick. But this time, it's purpose was not so much to replace my old one, as to simply complement for it for fantasy game purposes. So far I've met less than 5 individuals of my considerable repertoire of net-familiar folks who have not immediately realised that Forashi is the same as Foradasthar. Forashi is still the one I will use for most purposes, but Foradasthar, being a much more powerful, unique and somehow "catching" name IMO, is now considered as the primary nick for all things that matter, so to speak.

And that was it, for that story.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, it goes like this, I got realy sick of the unoriginality of the name zaknafein and looked through my elvish dictionary dor this one :)

3. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] It just popped up

4. X Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

My name is simple... The first letter of my last name (also the name of the main character of my books once he finds himself and changes himself)

Lucian Loki Xenos btw if anyone was interested hehe

5. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

It is the name of my Paladin I take through pretty much any roleplaying game and now pretty much any game. When I can't be a Paladin, its a fighter. Heck, I even have a Sim named Elios.
    I don't know if it really sounds heroic or anything.

6. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

basically my nick started out as a typo from my real name (gerard) the first time I started playing BG. Well to make it a bit more personal, I added on and that's about it!

7. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My nick was my first BG name and it also means "of the storms" in the Forgotten Realms calander.

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Aikanaro: I always thought your nick was Finnish -related. Aika = time, while naro is almost the same as nero (=genious). So that would make a "timegenious" or "timemaster" or some such, with but one vocal changed. Well, now I'm wiser by a bit.

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well, I needed a name for my Diablo 1 Fighter, and Faragon popped up. (The name comes from Niel Hancock's books. I rather disliked the books, but I liked the name a lot.) When I got more active on the Internet, I automatically used this name. Ever since, I've gone by the name of Faragon on the web, in games and now also in my first pnp roleplaying campaign.

10. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

it's a book by william gibson.. sci-fi.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There's a legend behind it that I posted about here:www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=004853#000006 in this forum, whatnots and then 'Got Heraldry?' thread. My friends made up an English nick from that and I translated it into French some year or two ago.'Chevalier' has also additional rpg class-related meaning I have noticed only recently ;)

[ January 18, 2003, 03:45: Message edited by: chevalier des Trois-Tours ]

12. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I was trying to come up with an appropriate sounding dragon-y name (for something else) one day, and Sapphire Dragon was taken. So I tweaked what I wanted a little bit, and I came out with dragonjewel13 (13 is my lucky number) and then I recently tweaked it more, since I think that Dragon's Jewel makes a little bit more sense.

13. Yochimbo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Mine is a bastardization of a Kirosawa film with Toshiro Mifune, Yojimbo, combined with my fondness for monkeys and chimps

(most people have seen it as A Fistful of Dollars (Clint Eastwood) or Last Man Standing (Bruce Willis)

14. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No books, no movies, no tricks.

I know a bit of quite some things, but I'm a master of nothing.
    Jack of all Trades was allready in use, so Master of None would be left. None was changed into something else, something more weird/mystical/fantastic, and so Master of Nuhn came up in mind.
    I could also have chosen the name Djakov o'Traeds :p

15. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ezellohar was nicked from Tolken's wonderful book Silmarillion. Shark was stuck in the end, to make it cool. It has shortened and lengthened into Ezellohar to Ezellohar Peridan Kenneth Shark Lionheart from time to time. Shark I liked, Peridan is from BG2, where it is a dragon sword, Kenneth from Walter Scott's 'Talisman' and Lionheart nicked from the great king Richard. Then it turned into Eze&Sharkie, when I had a divided personality. Ezellohar came back soon. When I started writing, I chose Raymond Seychelles as my pseudonym and I use it on FF.net. Corinn, The Slashwriter, is also on FF.net and the most recent one, Eze, The Slasher, was inspired by the fall of my friends.
    Once it turned into Ezellohar, The RDMM, what was Renegade Dungeon Master Monk, but I changed it back to Ezellohar.

Scary, ne?

16. Frostmage Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Quite simple. I like ice, and I like mages. Frostmage just sounded cooler than Icemage.

17. Zorac Gems: 11/31

Also a book, this one by James P Hogan (sci-fi). My nick is the name of a computer in one of his series.

18. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun,most charismatic and one of the most powerful mages in Faerun,one of the rulers of Waterdeep.

19. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Mine comes from a character in the Star Wars novels, Kam Solusar, a once dark Jedi whom Luke turned to the Light Side. The name sounded really cool, and I was stuck for a PnP name, at the time. It was a natural step to using it here at SP. :)

20. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Creutzfeldt-Jakob is the scientific name for Mad Cow disease.

Don't ask.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.