1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cross Planar Module

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Rastor, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Alright, ever since reading Gopher's thread, this has been floating throughout my mind. Does anyone here have the skill with skin-editors and such to actually make skins that I could use in my toolset to make the modules?

Also, what planes would you like to see in it? I could certainly make it relate into PST in some way if you want that (maybe you run into NPCs from the game). Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Hmmm... It's an interesting Idea Rastor, and one myself has been thinking about for some time. But without re-skinning the tile-sets, and distributing those same Skins to everyone who will want to play your module, it cannot really be done.

The fact is that even if you can get it done, everyone who wants to play the module, will have to spend ages downloading your new Tilesets, although if the module is good enough, it could be worth it.

After I tried several times with this, I came to the conclusion that I could simply play around with the lighting settings, and make say... The Plane Of Fire...really red and stuff, to the point where the Rural Grass, is actually Black, and the scky is Red etc etc.

That idea is simple, and works to an extent, but not good enough for a good, detailed module. Give us a notice if you figure out a good way to do it.

goph

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Actually, Goph, I was talking about reskinning and such to do it. How large would the files end up being if I compress them all into a zip file? Unfortunately, I have little experience making hakpaks or tilesets.

That second idea you gave might work, any suggestions on ways to possibly make other planes using that technique?

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Well, just as a guide on additional tileset sizes, the ones on SP range from about 5 MBs to 16 MBs.

5. Errol Gems: 23/31

Hmmm....well, goto Module properties, and then choose Visuals, and pick Bright, Dark, Torch-Lit Only etc etc.
    Then Right-Click on a 'square' of the map to edit the ligthing on that square, this way you can change the colour of the surroundings.
    It's simple I know but it works....kinda.
    (I don't know anything about re-skinning btw.)

6. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

After you get the lighting right for you module I think you should use some of the placeable object's. Like fire. Maybe change the lighting of the objects if that's posable. It would really be a sign of good programing/toolset skills if you dont have a hak pak.

I wont down load anything with a hak pak. It's to much of a hasle. Anyways I'd like to see something like your talking about.

Maybe you could take the focise off of the graphic's by having a good story line. Even if you still go for graphic's then keep the area's small so that it look's condenced and all proper.

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Well, I was going to have your character possibly ending up traversing multiple planes in the scope of the adventure.

Yes, a good story would be a good way to take the focus off the graphics, any suggestions on that? I've never been an incredible story writer. I will not recreate PST, and if possible, a minor plot that develops into a major one would be a good idea.

Any suggestions on how to create other planes using the lighting ideas? As in, what plane and how to light it? On another note, which planes would you most like to see in the game?

8. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] Hmmm... how about the Elemental Planes? Fire, Water, Earth and Wind? These would be populated by elementals and red/blue/brown/white skinned citizens (tiefling head anyone?).

I can't help you with the Storyline though, as I'm full up writing my own, and as you... I'm not a very good writer either.

9. Emporer Laggius Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

realy? cool!

10. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] :yot: insane hobo town land of painy doom - Unless this is your actual name then change it (it's screwing up the formatting on the main board page) and even if it is your name then change it. Just a friendly FYI.

[edit] tal - soz. This was the first post i'd seen of his/hers and only because it pushed the boards sideways when i looked at them.

[ October 24, 2002, 23:45: Message edited by: Lazy Bonzo ]

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] He's already been warned to change it.

12. Emporer Laggius Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] :yot: ok, changed. thanks for telling me.

13. Errol Gems: 23/31

:yot:

Now, back on topic.
    I was just wondering how the module is working out for ya Rastor, please keep us updated, or have you scrapped the idea? :hmm:

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Well, in the past few months I haven't had much free time on my hands between all of my responsibilities, but here's the updates.

I have the basic plotline and characters for the first in the series, which will be taking place in the first level of Baator, Avernus. I have yet to design the scenery or figure out if I want to include any plot twists or massive henchman interaction. I'd welcome thoughts on this.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.