1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Am reading Coraline by Neil Gaimen while waiting for the books I may or may not be getting on my birthday. Also have some short stories thingy, which is quite dull.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@aik

new gaiman fan? ;)

Yeah, definitely love hobb's work. Am now starting Mad Ship. I better get a copy of Ship of Destiny within the next 5 days or I'm going to get pissed off :/

3. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

@ Aiky

Coraline is good. Hope you enjoy it...

I guess I have to find these Robin Hobb books all you guys are talking about, since my daughter's taking her time with Harry Potter.

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I just finished Dune. It is a good book. The movies were bad, should have none the book wasn't. But c'est la vie.

I started now Tales of the Dying Earth by Jackie Chan... ah Vance.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

New Gaimen fan? Not really. I read American Gods and Neverwhere ages ago. My sister has just been going on a 'must get Neil Gaimen stuff!' spree, so consequently I've been reading more of it :)

Coraline was funky - now, to find something else to pass the time with...

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah, i see. well, I'm a gaiman fan :D have you read stardust too? good stuff.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Stardust rocks. I think that might be my favourite book of his, actually.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for that, Harbs. Methinks Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb will be my next purchase.

Does anyone know if I can get it via SP?

9. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm reading:
    HP Lovecraft - The Quest for the Unknown Kantath

It's so...so...so... there is no word to descript it!
    I only wish I could write stories like this :-/

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Barmy Army, you can order anything through SP and still give SP credit for it. Just check this thread for details.

Eventually, I'll also list those books on SP to make it easier for everyone.

11. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

You have to read his "In the House of Old Witch". The title is probably wrong, but it is something in the lines.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

yeah, stardust rocks. imo, it's because the stuff he uses there is stuff you've always heard of, particularly when you were little, but in such a different manner. he was here a coupla weeks ago, had my BATTERED copy of Neverwhere signed :D

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Hmm, I liked Stardust because is had a certain feeling of magicalness ... which is something that I absolutely can't explain beyond that. Sadly, very few books have the 'magical' feel to them.
    If you have a clue what I'm talking about and know of any others - feel free to recommend :p

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i think i do, because i also can't explain why i like stardust so much :p 'fraid i don't know of any other books like it though..

what are some of the others? stardust is the only one that i've run across.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

(Yeah, so we've hijacked this thread...)

I would say that Tolkien's work has 'magicalness', and The Last T'En Trilogy by Cory Danniels. But alas, that's about all in the way of books. They're not exactly *like* Stardust at all, but they ... feel magical.
    One Hundred Years of Solitude is also worth checking out for this, now that I think of it.

The children's movies Beauty and the Beast and The Swan Princess also have it, as well as a few Nightwish and Within Temptation songs. The movie Big Fish feels magical too.

That's the exhaustive list of all that I've come across. Presently I'm exploring magical realism, which could very well have it. Especially hunting for the book Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin.

16. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just started in George Martin's "A Clash of Kings" after finishing its prequal "A Game of Thrones".

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Just finished the Opal Deception by Eoin CPOifer. A very good book, if not quite on par with the earlier ones... I hope it will not be the last time we see Arty.

18. Newfie Banned

Reading the Binding Stone set in Eberron. Not bad.

19. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Reading "The Brave Soldier Shveik"(dunno if that's the correct spelling, it's by Yaroslav Hashek) again. Laughing my lungs out. Continue reading. See second sentence.
    And so it goes on...

20. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. It's about an autistic boy who discovers a dead dog on his neighbour's lawn. A very good book. It feels good to get away from fantasy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.