1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How many times have you read LOTR?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Aikanaro, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Topic explains all.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 36 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: How many times have you read LOTR? (36 votes.)

How many times have you read LOTR? (Choose 1)
    * 0 - 17% (6)
    * 1-2 - 31% (11)
    * 3-4 - 22% (8)
    * 5-6 - 11% (4)
    * 7-8 - 6% (2)
    * 9-10 - 3% (1)
    * 11+ - 11% (4)

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    11+ for me, and that's yhis year alone. Same goes for the SIlmaroillion, as well... Unfinished tales is still in the re-read phrase...

I love Tolkien. Period.

I am insatiable enough to resort to Tolkien fanfic.... :p

3. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Too many times, that's all I have to say about that..... :book: :book: :book:

[Edit]
    Wow my 500th post :D

4. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Only twice. And both times were about four years ago. I really should read it again.

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I have all the books but so far I've only read The Hobbit.

I haven't had time to read them yet :(

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    You need an option for "Don't know." It's been 20+ years since I was first introduced to LOTR, and I've quite lost track of how many times I've read it.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have read them at least fifteen times (my best guess would be twnety times). Like Rallymama I first read them twenty years ago and it is kind of hard to recall each seperate time reading them.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow! You how can you people read them so many times? I have read the entire series three times with a few years between each and in both rereadings I have been struck by how little I really like them. Where does the fanaticism comes from? It cant come from the characters as Tolkien's character are extremely shallow and stylisized and the story is quite generic (which is very common and nothing wrong really but it makes me wonder how it stands out from others). Tolkien's main aim and what he reached with the books was to get something he could use the world and mythology he had created. The world in itself is a mighty thing and it is for that and for Tolkien's creative use of theft and borrowing (all authors do this, Tolkien stole and borrowed very original things) he holds a place for posteriy. Again I ask, from where comes the fanaticism?

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I have to agree with Joac too. LotR was just so difficult to read. The only way I got past FotR was because I watched the movie beforehand. But, really, if you've read a book, particulary a fantasy book, at least half a dozen times, I would think the magic (so to speak) would have dissipated by then.

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

At least twice a year for the last seven or eight years - sometimes more, if I get the itch. I tend to lock myself in a room for three days and just inhale Tolkien and nothing else. So I truly have no idea how many times I have read LotR (or the Silmarillion, or any of the other Tollers books I have) - but I know that it is waaaaaaaaaaay more than eleven!

:book:

11. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have been known to reread books dozens of times... I may know the story, but the details will lose themselves after a few years, and sometimes I've read so many books that I forget the plot to a few.
    And how many times have I read Tolkien? 1 1/2. The first time I became so disgusted with not having any clue what was going on that I gave it up halfway through. The second time and just recently, I had to do as Oaz did... I read it after I saw the movie. (and had the "OOOOH!" experience several times.)
    The world of Tolkien? Marvelous. The writing style? I have never seen any book that uses so many words to say so little.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    That is both one of the reasons I think the movies are so grand, and the reason I've read the thing more than once.

I like the movies because one sweep of the camera over a breathtaking panorama covers nine pages of convoluted (but extremely lyrical!) descriptions of scenery. My first time(s) through I tended to skim these passages and find the action, so now every time I READ it I get a little more out of it. After reading the Silmarillion, the poetry in LOTR also came to life much more strongly for me.

I think the only other book I've re-read as often is Gone WIth The Wind.

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Wow, the people are more fanatical than previously anticipated. (Don't worry people, I am fast becoming like you, going through it for the third time, plus reading the first three The History of Middle Earth books and having read The Silmarillion twice).

14. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I only 'discovered' it about 4 years ago and have only read it once. Though one day I will buy my own copy...

15. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

3 times, I think.

It's not an easy book to read at all. And all the elf-worship really pissed me off.

16. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yeah, elves mostly suck.

LOTR in four years has been read twenty times atleast and Silmarillion five.

17. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eleven times. I'll be doing my 12th once I've finished my legal clerkship and started my vacation.

I'll have to politely disagree with Dragon's Jewel. Everything Tolkien writes has a point to it. It really does. But it wasn't until my 4th or 5th times that I really started to flush out every detail, and understood (I think) its reason for being there, and its place in the larger whole.

18. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I'm on my third time, but I only started two years ago.

19. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well I've tried reading them about 4 times, does that count? I never can get through and finish the entire trilogy. I mean, I love the Hobbit and I like the Fellowship of the Ring, but somewhere in the Two Towers and/or the Return of the King I get bored and stop reading them. I always sort of felt that Tolkein just gets to a point where it becomes nothing but battles and Frodo and Sam getting lost and kidnapped and falling down rocks and tunnels. So I said 3-4 times but I've never really finished.

I :love: the movies though.

20. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Once, halfway through silmarillion. I'm chained by reason, and many things seem to lose their "sense of realism" if you will. I discussed with Joa at some point, and mentioning the lack of progress in the world really.. made my thinkers turn =) in mythology, true, things don't really progress that fast, but with a history span of that many years at least something should have come up.

the detail of his world however, beyond comparison :D
    I'd say the story is a challenge and sometimes drown in its own immensity for the uninitiated.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.